boolet design usage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Is there a place or whatever that explains the differant uses or purpose of a particular boolet design ? Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I haven't seen any specific bullet design comparison booklet anywhere. But, if you have several reloading manuals you can find some info in them about what each bullet does.
However, there are so many different designs, it's not exactly easy to fully understand everything. An example; There are different types of hollowpoint bullets. Both in rifle & in pistol calibers. You can have shallow round ones, cone shaped cavities, and even penta shaped cavities. Next throw in the depth of each one being different, and you will get many other variables.
Next, many bullets are capable of multi-duty applications. Hunting & self defense. Paper punching & varmit shooting.
I suggest you choose whatever your main desires are & start studying what experienced shooters use for their applications. You will see a pattern of design appear.
I hope this helps a bit!

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO---NO !!!---Information available anywhere on anything called a ' boolit.'

THERE ARE REAMS OF INFORAMATIOIN GOING BACK OVER 125 YEARS on each and every BULLET design ever conceived from the mind of man !!!

DGW1949

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO---NO !!!---Information available anywhere on anything called a ' boolit.'

THERE ARE REAMS OF INFORAMATIOIN GOING BACK OVER 125 YEARS on each and every BULLET design ever conceived from the mind of man !!!

Don't look now but you misspelled his missplelled word.
I reckon none of us is perfect.

Just sayin'.

DGW

A

Anonymous

wil terry got the spelling correct, boolit. I got that wrong.
but I also assume that all spelling is subject to major correction
on this site. boolit is a term used by casters and I have spent a
lot of time reading on the subject thus my use.
in that case I may have to leave before I
even get started.
sorry to have bothered anyone.

Rclark

Hunter
The subject of bullet design usage has and still does go round and round with shooters. Some feel jacketed is the ticket for this, others for that usage. Some of us only use lead in our revolvers and pistols. Some shooters 'have' to use a shiny hollow point for SD from vendor X cause its cool looking. Others a nice solid bullet works just fine. Then there is the SWC or FWC that cuts a nice hole in the target as compared to a round nose point.... Round points usually feed better in semi-autos too. For hunting some like a hollow point on deer, others a good semi-wadcutter design to cut a large clean hole all the way through breaking bone as it goes..... Some like 320g monsters to shoot chickens or maybe a deer, or maybe a zippy ear splitting .357 110g solid jacketed bullet will put down a griz.... I have my opinions too for handgun bullets :) .

No there is no book that I know of. Just each book you do pick up may allude to this or that bullet is the 'best' ... like the Keith bullet in the Taffin or Keith volumes for hunting. Very similar to the caliber discussions :) . .45 Colt is the best... No .44Mag is... But the .357 is better yet, the .32 has to much recoil, the .41 is flatter shooting.... Well you get the drift! If looking for hunting experience with different bullets and calibers with handguns, Big Bore Revolvers by Max Prasac is a good read. Then there is Keith's Sixguns and Taffin's Single Action Sixguns.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
mbshop said:
wil terry got the spelling correct, boolit. I got that wrong.
but I also assume that all spelling is subject to major correction
on this site. boolit is a term used by casters and I have spent a
lot of time reading on the subject thus my use.
in that case I may have to leave before I
even get started.
sorry to have bothered anyone.

Hang around mbshop! There are many folks on this forum like Contender that are willing to help. I can't answer your question but...Howdy and welcome from S GA!

contender

Ruger Guru
mbshop, some folks get offended by mis-spelled words etc. Knowing there is a site called castboolits.com I knew what you were asking.
PLEASE do not leave due to someone taking offense to how you spell. We have a guy here who will beat you hands down on how bad his spelling & such is. But we all have come to expect it from him.

Hang around, and most of us will try & help any way we can!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:

This is a horribly useless post. It's more useless and less helpful than me quoting it. :shock:

Anyone that rolls his own knows what the poster meant. Your name "Wil" is spelled wrong and you also misspelled "information" in your post I quoted. I bet you could actually help someone....maybe. :D

A

Anonymous

thanks all ! i'll stick around and see how it goes. just didn't read anything about not using that bad word.
I sort of guessed that there was no real dictionary on the subject but you never know.
I'm normally not touchy at all but I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

mikld

Blackhawk
WIL TERRY said:

BOOLIT, BOOLIT, BOOLIT, BOOLIT, BOOLIT, BOOLIT. I LIKE THE TERM...

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
FOLKS - This gentleman is genuine and curious. Spelling and Semantics aside - shame on Will for arguing over something so trivial. Absolutely not common here and we don't welcome people who act this way.

MBSHOP - I assure you that this isn't typical behavior of the general membership here. I am embarrassed over your treatment here and assure you that we are better than this. This is evidenced by everyone else who really did try to address your question. Thank you everyone else for defending him.

That being said - I have honored your request to be removed from this forum. I don't blame you. If you ever want to come back - we will do better.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The Sierra reloading manual has a good description of each of their bullets (also known as Boolits in some parts of the country :mrgreen: ). I don't know of any one definitive source and a lot of this knowledge comes with experience. The Lyman reloading manual is referenced a lot but it is one not in my library. May be worth a look.

contender

Ruger Guru
So you are saying mbshop decided to leave us anyway?
CRAP!!!!!!!
A big +1 to I_Like_Pie for his post.
Folks we are better than this. It is a shame a new person asks a genuine question, and gets jumped on for his use of a term that is COMMON on another forum. A simple spelling difference. Sheesh!
Occasionally, I am ashamed by the actions of some members here, but I have never posted anything as direct as this. Heck, I've made mistakes, apologized for my errors, and never gotten upset at anybody for correcting me. I've offered advice to as many folks as I can, and try to make all new folks feel welcomed. I've offered advice & gotten corrected, and stepped up & admitted it.
I have seen many others here make a mistake, have an issue, and then step up & publically apologize. As such, I have felt this place was much better than about any other Forum out there. To see a new guy get "screamed" at for using a simple word that is accepted by 10's of thousands who visit castboolits.com is just plain WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Gun people need to all support & help each other. It's an OLD saying; "United we stand, divided we fall!" When gun owners fight amongst ourselves, the anti-gunners will win. We are better than this.