Reloading bench design advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

williamc

Single-Sixer
I've just purchased my setup to get into reloading (including a Lee Classic Turret press), and I'm going to build a corner workbench for my garage to attach it too. I figured I would use the unused corner of the bench to mount it, on a flat shown by the red line below (not to scale):

desk.jpg

My question for you guys is how wide should I make that red segment? I was thinking 12", but I'm concerned about making it too narrow.

Thoughts?

I'd also like to hear if that position on the bench is inherently bad for reasons I may not be aware of. FYI, a vise is going on the downward facing leg at the end of the tabletop.

Thanks!

William

slowhand

Single-Sixer
Here's a couple of pictures on how I did mine.I was going to square the corner like your drawing,but opted not to.Can still mount my other SD press beside the rock chucker and have plenty of room.Just another idea.Dave
gunbench001.jpg

gunbench002.jpg

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Body width plus 12 inches. I'd mount the press off center (to the right since I'm right handed). Consider how things are situated with the ram handle down.

Tioga County

Bearcat
It was reccomended to me that if you are using lag bolts, you want at least 1.5" to screw into for your press. I mounted mine above/into a 4x4 verticle support. The press provides/uses plenty of leverage and force, just make sure the bench is supported in a way that can handle it.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I'll add: Make sure you have more light than you think you need. The press can really stress the mount point so consider that. I actually used a steel plate on the underside so the bolts can not pull out. If using lag bolts, go deep. Body width + a foot sounds good, mount press in front of your right arm and consider the clearence it needs to cycle.

williamc

Single-Sixer
Good tips, all. After rethinking it, I decided to put the press on the opposite leg from the vise, as far to the right as I can without interfering with the leg.

I also plan on beefing the heck out of the mount points (for the vise and the press).

William

slowhand

Single-Sixer
I used this kind of nut to hold my presses to the bench.Mounted my presses to a piece of oak plywood and bolted them down with elevator bolts.Then mounted the wood using regular bolts with washers on top.Can take them all off the bench in about five minutes and use plastic plugs in the bench top.Works well for me.
T-nut.jpg

boltons75

Single-Sixer
You might consider the Lee bench plate as a mounting option if space is of a concern, or if you want a quick inexpensive way to quickly remove the press. I Just purchased two, so that I can mount my press on my bench or on a portable table if I'm going somewhere. For 20 buck you cant beat it.

boltons75

Single-Sixer
slowhand said:
Here's a couple of pictures on how I did mine.I was going to square the corner like your drawing,but opted not to.Can still mount my other SD press beside the rock chucker and have plenty of room.Just another idea.Dave
gunbench001.jpg

gunbench002.jpg

Havent you heard, an organized bench is the sign of a sick mind.....lol, Very nice setup.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
weconway said:
...My question for you guys is how wide should I make that red segment?.....

Just make sure that how ever wide you make it that it has plenty of rigid support in that spot because the bench will flex at that most weak area if you don't. Unless you make the top out of granite (or granite looking) like slowhand shows his is made of.

slowhand

Single-Sixer
Nope not granite.Just a Formica covered counter top.Does have a 2x4 fame you could pull a engine with around the edge.Plenty stout for my loading.From 204 ruger to 45-70.