New CCI bullet design?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Is it just me not paying attention or did CCI recently make a slight redesign on their 40gr cprn (0030)? Seems to be a much more streamlined bullet than in the past, almost a Speer shape, very small meplat almost a point. I have a couple 100rnd boxes of it that I haven't shot yet, but the advertised ballistics look pretty good.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. On the left is the more streamlined bullet (0030) which is advertised 1235fps mv. On the right is the usual cprn we're all used to seeing: (956) adv. 1200fps. Both 40 grn. The difference is pretty obvious I think. 2 views.

cci2.jpg~original

cci1.jpg~original

PS: I bought a 300rd brick of the 956 today for $29.95 . Still too pricey, but I'm a rich old white guy. :wink:

Cholo

Staff member
GunnyGene said:
On the right is the usual cprn we're all used to seeing: (956) adv. 1200fps. Both 40 grn. The difference is pretty obvious I think.
Gunny, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the blunter 956. I've never seen them. All my CCI solids dating way back are the more pointed 0030's. I'd like some of these blunter 956's. I run all my solid CCI's thru a Hanned Lined tool that puts a flat SGB tip on them. The blunt ones look like I could put one hell of a flat point on it! :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
GunnyGene said:
On the right is the usual cprn we're all used to seeing: (956) adv. 1200fps. Both 40 grn. The difference is pretty obvious I think.
Gunny, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the blunter 956. I've never seen them. All my CCI solids dating way back are the more pointed 0030's. I'd like some of these blunter 956's. I run all my solid CCI's thru a Hanned Lined tool that puts a flat SGB tip on them. The blunt ones look like I could put one hell of a flat point on it! :)

I was just curious why there would be such a big difference. The round nose I've used for years, including from other brands (Eley, etc), have the blunt 956 shape, so I was a bit surprised by the 0030. Both shoot fine in my guns so I don't have a complaint either way.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding the 956. They market it as AR Tactical :roll: . CCI seems to have gotten production up to meet demand on most of their product line. It's showing up by the boat load around here - except for wallyworld ( I don't know what their problem is :? ). http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0956

Cholo

Staff member
Cool! I'll try to find some. Are they Gecko45 approved? :mrgreen: (A Google search will turn up some classic tactical posts by the original Mall Ninja) :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Cool! I'll try to find some. Are they Gecko45 approved? :mrgreen: (A Google search will turn up some classic tactical posts by the original Mall Ninja) :)

I have no idea. :lol: :lol: As for Mall Ninja's, I've never seen one. All we have around here are good ol' Southern boys in bib overalls. :mrgreen: