Blazer ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AUSSIEBOB

Bearcat
Anyone using this stuff'
looks cheap and nasty
I have seen some guys using it at our club in 38 cal
Alloy cases can not reload what the good of it.
only the price

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi Bob,

How are things down in Aussie?

I don't reload. If I can find it in .357, .45, and/or .44, that's what I buy and shoot. No worries. For serious defensive matters I look for heavy hitters that are usually brass cartridge cases.

ACM73

Bearcat
Blazer Brass 380 was on sale when I bought my LCP so I bought a box of 250 rounds. It has been completely reliable and I plan on reloading the cases down the road. I'm happy with it and will probably buy another box of the same thing when this runs out.

toysoldier

Hunter
Blaser makes ammo with either traditional, Boxer-primed reloadable brass cases, or Berdan-primed aluminum cases which are not reloadable. The aluminum stuff is good quality, but less costly. It's a good choice for those who don't reload.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
Cops and military don't reload so I wonder why they never took the economical route with Blazer-type aluminum cased ammo?

I think there must be some issues with corrosion or durability that concerns them. How else can you eplain the big snub?

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
bennettfam said:
Cops and military don't reload so I wonder why they never took the economical route with Blazer-type aluminum cased ammo?

They do not reload, but many of the suppliers will discount the next order if the PD returns the spent casings.

Some of them do use Blazer for practice ammo, just not a bunch.

gfw1985

Bearcat
This is just personal and not knocking Blazer. I sight in and do serious practice with what I'm going to carry/hunt with. Picking off tin cans, steel targets I'll shoot what I can find, but live targets I like to stack the odds in my favor. Recent test at 25yds off sandbags with my 9mm showed a significant difference in POI and spread, comparing Blazer to Federal Premium, both in 115gr. Agreed, at 7-10yds offhand, I probably would not have noticed it that much.

stantheman86

Buckeye
CCI has hard primers so not a good choice for a "tuned" gun with light hammer springs.......

But I have shot a TON of CCI Blazer aluminum and brass .38, .357, 9mm and .45 over the past 10 years.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I have only used Blazers in my Glock 9mm. They've never given me a problem of any kind. $11. a box at my local gunshop. Plinking only. Use 'serious' ammo for personal protection - Federal Premium.

Jeff

StrutStopper

Bearcat
The Blazer .22s are the least accurate of any .22 LR I've shot out of my 22/45. On the other hand, the .38's worked pretty well out of my GP100. I just picked up some .38 dies so I won't be getting any more aluminum cased ammo though.

DGW1949

Hunter
I posted about a bad experience with some aluminum-case .45ACP-230FMJ Blazer ammo not too long ago. Simply put, both of the boxes I tried were inconsistant and weak to the point that some of the rounds wouldn't even operate the slide on my Colt 1911A1. That and more than a couple wouldn't go bang.

Maybe I just got a bad batch, I dunno. What I do know is that there won't be any more Blazers shot out of my guns....even if they was giving them away, which they aint. I was looking at some 9MM ammo just this past Saturday. Blazers were $10.95 per 50 and Federals were $19.95 per 100....so my question is.....why would one bother to even try the stuff?

DGW

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Never had any problems with Blazer in my guns. Most of what I've fired has been the FMJ 9mm and the .44 Special load with the 200-grain Gold Dot hollowpoint. I've found that the latter tends to be the most affordable commercially-loaded ammo in that caliber, and it's good-quality stuff.

GammaRay

Single-Sixer
The few times I used Blazer .357 ammo it worked great. I now reload my own. Take up reloadinng its easy and fun.

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
Recently shot some Alum Blazer 45 ACP. Worked great and as accurate as anything else. Blazer 22 is the best I have found recently. As accurate as some old Rem Target in my MKII Govt Target!

I have heard a couple say they have reloaded the alum cases - NOT ME!

aaronrb204

Bearcat
I should have said earlier that I used to use tons of the stuff when all I had were 9mm Rugers. But my 9mm CZs don't digest it well. So I have to stick with brass cased ammo.

Latest posts