Bear at the Bird Feeder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KTM

Single-Sixer
Back on the evening of May 26th around 10:15 PM, I went out onto the kitchen deck to call the cats in for the night and I saw movement that was NOT one of the cats. Turned out to be a black bear and at least one very small cub! :shock: They ran through the thick wooded portion of my yard towards the front yard and then towards the road. A river valley is across the road. In case you're wondering, yes, the cats came in after all the commotion. :D The bear had bent the bird feeder it was attempting to eat from but thankfully it didn't destroy the bird feeder. The next day I straightened out the bird feeder and put up one of my trail cameras. Last night I decided to take down the trail camera as there was no new damage to the bird feeder or other sign of the bear having returned, so I figured they were not going to come back. While I was looking through the photos to see if there were any of interest I found 25 photos of the bear and her TWO cubs. Turns out they visited just before 1:00 pm on June 4th. Here's the 5 best photos.

287561.jpg

287562.jpg

287563.jpg

287564.jpg

287565.jpg

KTM

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the nice comments. Wish I could take credit for the photos. I just hung the trail camera on the only tree that was suitable for watching the bird feeder. Sometimes you get lucky. :D

Tellico

Buckeye
Great pics! That is what I am looking for with my trail cam. Or maybe a lion or wolf. How far from the ground is the bottom of the feeder?
Fred

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Cool pictures KTM! I enjoyed those pictures. I have hunted black bear with dogs since 2001. I could have killed a bear every year but last year but I have only shot 3 and the last one I stuck with a spear. I say that to point out I am not a bear killer and I enjoy the bears but they do need to be managed. They seem to be in excellent shape. Just a thought but is there any way to discourage them from being in close contact with human habitat before they get in trouble?

KTM

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the nice comments.

Fred, I'm 5' 9" and the tray at the bottom of the feeder is about at my forehead.

I live just across the road from a wooded river bluff, that is National Park Land. The river is about 200' feet lower than my yard and the bluff is quite rugged terrain. The bear have a lot of cover to live in. I have lived here for 22+ years and have bear visit every couple of years and they don't seem to stay around for long. If this one becomes a problem I'll have to figure something out. So far all is well.

Tellico

Buckeye
Thanks KTM, that gives an idea how far she can reach. I wonder if a spray or two of bear repellant would keep them from returning? Fish and Game here recommend all hikers carry some. See http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/bears/bearSpray.html
Fred

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Tellico said:
I wonder if a spray or two of bear repellant would keep them from returning?

Bear spray, when not used as an immediate response to a threat/attack, actually works as an attractant.
Something you might want to consider if you decide you want to give your camp an preemptive spray....

In other words.. use the spray against the bear, then get the heck out of there before more bears show up!!