Are We Allowed To Ask Opinions On

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a T-gun Model 431: blue, .44 Special, 3" bbl, fixed sights, five-shot. It is a superb gun. My wife adopted it as soon as I brought it home. She shoots it double-action only, and regularly outshoots me shooting it single-action. It's the night-table gun.

Also have a Model 94: blue, .22LR, 4"bbl, adjustable sights, nine-shot. Nice little revolver. Kids like it, as do I, for plinking . . . and it's quite accurate.

I have other brands as well, but have no complaints about the T-guns.

:mrgreen:

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
Buy yourself a good S&W 617 and you'll be less enamored with the sp101. The sp101 is a quality 22 revolver at a reasonable price. But the 617 has a much better trigger. You may need to put a lower poundage trigger rebound spring in the Smith (easy to do and cheap). Or you could go for a 22 LCR if you can find one with an acceptable trigger (some are very heavy). Or a Single Six is a great option if you are okay with single action.

Spot on. I love my 617 - 10 shot so much that I bought my son one for Christmas a few years ago. Have owned many, and I mean many 22 handguns but the 617 will NEVER be sold.

I have tried numerous dual cylinder revolvers over the years and have always been disappointed as far accuracy goes when using 22 mags in them. I aim to change all that soon as a Ruger Single Nine is due to my house any day.

If you have the $coinage, consider a FA 22 revolver. NRA dope bag commented they were the most accurate 22 revolver they ever tested, bar none. And this included olympic style and other types of target .22's destined for competition.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The 4" S&W M617 6 shot I used to have was one of the best shootin guns I ever had.
Can't believe I ever sold that jem..
I found a picture of it back when digi cameras were new..
mod617blingiijv4.jpg

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
hammie said:
Anyway...the consensus from this thread seems to be pointing toward a ruger single six and I think that's a pretty good end point. (Although surprisingly no one has suggested a bearcat?)

Um...I think your count is a bit off. Best I can count, the vote was 8 to 2 in favor of a S&W at the point you posted this. Currently it is 12 to 4 (actually 3 if you don't count the single 9 suggestion).

You make a good point about the Bearcat though.

toysoldier

Hunter
I wonder how long it will be before "T" offers their little .380 revolver in a .22 version? A truly .22-sized revolver would be nice, especially with adjustable sights and a single-action option.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Well then there is such thing as a nice Brazilian R too. In a short time period they were great. Nothing wrong with a well built 88 from that era.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I want to like the Taurus .22 revolvers, I really do. I've never had the opportunity to shoot one. But I've never read a report, either published or internet, of one that shot really well--or as well as a comparable model S&W. :? :? :?

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
You can buy my wife's S&W 317-2 as soon as it comes back from the factory, hopefully working this time...we're definitely selling it! The older S&Ws may have been the cat's meow, but I'm not seeing it in the 317 we ended up with. Out of the box, it had a very heavy trigger and yet hit the cartridges too light to ignite them reliably. Then, after having an extended length firing pin installed, we ended up with very difficult extraction of empties and the forcing cone dragging on the cylinder and preventing any rotation.

Because we installed an after-market part that was partly to blame for dimples on the edges of the chambers, they did not cover the repair under warranty. However, they did not explain why the cylinder gap was non-existent after firing 5-6 cylinder fulls, which to me was more of a concern than the difficult extraction of empties.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I "had" a 317 no dash with the aluminum cylinder years ago..
I also had extraction troubles & be carefull to only use a polymer cleaning brush on the cylinder or it'll be ruined..

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
berettapistols said:
I "had" a 317 no dash with the aluminum cylinder years ago..
I also had extraction troubles & be carefull to only use a polymer cleaning brush on the cylinder or it'll be ruined..

Thanks, bp, good to know!

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Now thats weird. I bought a 317 4 inch about 6-7 months ago and had zero issues with it. But I usually carry my Beretta Bobcat more often because it is lighter, takes up less space in my pocket and is more accurate.
Try a Bobcat for a tiny pocket pistol that rocks.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Mine was the 1 7/8" snub, 317 no dash, no lock & was bought 2nd hand @ KY Imports off their shelf back when they had a FFL Cheap..
Man I really miss some of the deals I used to pick up at that place.. Oh well..

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
The best I have found is the Colt Officers Model Target 22. It is simply the most accurate revolver I have ever wrapped my mitts around, period. My Smith model 17 was a nice gun, very nice. I don't really miss it though. My Single Sixes, Standard and Mk. IIs are great fun, but the Colt comes out when I get serious.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
AKDRSS said:
mr surveyor said:
a Ruger Single Nine????

Yes, Ruger Single Nine:)

I need to get out more :oops:

For some reason, I thought the Single Ten was a combo and I didn't have enough interest to even look it up. Wasn't even aware of the Single Nine.

Snake45 said:
I want to like the Taurus .22 revolvers, I really do. I've never had the opportunity to shoot one. But I've never read a report, either published or internet, of one that shot really well--or as well as a comparable model S&W. :? :? :?

Well, they aren't S&W's and I'd never claim they were "equal" to the more well-known brand.

The 431 appealed to me because of its chambering and the fact that it received good reviews at the time. It's basically a K-frame-size five-shot in a "large" caliber and the 3" is a handy size. I don't believe it's currently being offered. It's my wife's favorite "big" gun and she can shoot it quite well.

The 94 was kind of an impulse buy that was considerably less expensive than a comparable S&W. So far, it has worked out well. I would doubt it would measure up to its S&W doppleganger in an "endurance test", but then I don't shoot several hundred rounds thru it weekly, either. I suppose I could have shopped around and found a good used S&W for about the same money had I tried. Maybe.

;)