AR-556 trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
To put it in two simple words - It suuuuuuuuucks! It might just be my rifle, but it is long, creepy and doesn't break consistently. I've broken it down, cleaned, lubed, etc. Next step is a little judicious polishing. If that doesn't work, I'll be changing out the trigger group.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I got mine down to 4.5lbs with no take-up with $35 worth of parts from ebay.

Got the JPI yellow spring pack and a trigger adjustment screw.

The adjustment screw is a grip screw that's been bored out and has a second screw extending through it. Use of this screw adjusts the trigger to remove all slack from it.

I think its worth trying before dropping $150 on a drop-in trigger system.

Aqualung

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Well.... the AR-556 comes with your standard military AR trigger. Mine is perfectly good. Could it be better? Lol. Yes, it sure could. Still, it works just fine, at least for my purposes.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't see the problem.
After all, aint the whole idea of buying a cheap, out of spec AR is so ya can start buying parts to "fix it up"?

Yeah....there's some sarcasm there.
But hey, there's a lot of truth there too. :lol: .

DGW

pisgah

Buckeye
By design, the AR trigger is creepy and heavy, intended to be safe and durable under full-auto fire. It can be improved. Palmetto State Armory sells an "enhanced" trigger group, which is essentially a polished trigger group, that removes a great deal of the creep and drag but leaves you with the usual heavy pull. A properly-installed trigger adjustment screw (around $15-18) can take out most of the creep. But if what you want is a crisp 2.5-3 pound trigger, a replacement trigger group is about the only way to go.

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
Right now, I'd like to start be getting rid of the drag and smoothing it out. We'll see about things after I polish it.

pisgah

Buckeye
Huhwhat? said:
Right now, I'd like to start be getting rid of the drag and smoothing it out. We'll see about things after I polish it.

Well, again, the drag is inherent in the design and there's not much to be done about that short of changing the angle of engagement of the sear and trigger -- a risky proposition even for someone trained and properly equipped for the job -- or a replacement trigger. But smoothing out the drag with careful polishing is quite doable.

cavediver27

Bearcat
As for me, I really like the factory trigger on my AR556. I don't find it overly long, gritty or creepy at all. I don't want a light trigger like my M77 has on a semi auto AR platform.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
cavediver27 said:
As for me, I really like the factory trigger on my AR556. I don't find it overly long, gritty or creepy at all. I don't want a light trigger like my M77 has on a semi auto AR platform.
Pretty much my sentiments too. If my intended use was for long range target shooting I'd would want a lighter trigger. But my AR556 has a great trigger just as it came from the factory. If I wanted to light matches at 200 yards I'd have mounted a good high power scope. Instead I mounted a red dot.

Nuff sed?

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I went the route of trying to improve the factory trigger to no avail.
So I had a coupon good for a lot off on a Timney 4lb trigger so I went
with that; I also considered a Geisele but at the time the price was
just too high. The Timney made ALL the difference, I wasn't trying to
shoot precision matches with it just improve the trigger pull to the
point of predictability.

9x19

Hunter
$86 will get a Rock River 3.5lb trigger delivered to your door.

Two pins later, you'll have a very good trigger.

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I bought the PSA polished trigger kit for about $40 shipped. Night and day difference from the factory trigger. The factory trigger felt like a 10lb pull weight. Is it a benchrest target rifle----no, but it should be able to at least shoot 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards and do better than a Ruger Mini 14. That wasn't doable with the factory trigger.
That Rock River trigger kit looks like a good deal. I am not going to spend $150-200 on a trigger for a $600 AR.