AR-556 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunpoorboy

Single-Sixer
There are two pins left of the safety selector and the bolt release on the left side of the rifle.

The pin closest to the bolt release keeps falling out.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Do I need to just replace the pin, and if so, where do I find them. I've checked the Ruger Store
and can't find them.

I hate to go to the expense of a Smith so any help would be appreciated.

NikA

Buckeye
I believe any anti-walk pins for a standard AR will work. There are a number of different designs available. The AR system is supposed to retain the pins with the legs of springs in the trigger group, might want to check that those are assembled correctly if the pins are not retained.

I can turn a stripped AR lower and a bag of jumbled parts into a working unit in less than 15 minutes so I do know how the mechanics work.
First off, does this rifle have an aftermarket self contained fire control group? If so many of those require "anti walk" pins.
There are only 2 "pins" besides the pivot and take down on an AR lower. The front (hammer) pin is held by a tiny spring loaded retainer in the hammer. The rear (trigger/dis-connector) pin is held in place by the legs of the hammer spring. They don't normally "fall out" but if allowed to "walk out" during firing, the holes become damaged making future problems more likely. If the pin has "fallen out" frequently, your receiver and/or hammer is probably buggered.
The pins are cheap and easy to find BUT won't solve the buggered hole issue. Anti-walk or anti-rotation hammer/trigger pins are the band-aid solution for slobbered out holes in the receiver and at this point, you'd be well advised to replace the hammer or spend the extra $$ to add a self contained FCG.
Keep in mind that the trigger to sear engagement is mostly controlled by the proper spacing and alignment of the receiver holes so it doesn't take much wear/damage to throw this off making the rifle an accident waiting to happen.