Anyone ever lightly lubricate their magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kramden

Blackhawk
Some of my various handgun magazines work much better with a drop or 2 of oil. I get afew FTFeed with a properly lubed gun and if I clean and lube the mags all is good again.

I've dusted the interior of some with graphite and a couple of stubborn ones got dunked in graphite powder planter box lubricant and the excess shaken/blown out. Those were "range use only" for a while until the super slickery stuff wore off the outside.

Valmet

Single-Sixer
The most that I do is clean off the accessible part of the magazine follower and that's all I've done for years. Never had any issues.

contender

Ruger Guru
It depends.

Serious competition, where I may have a chance at placing in the top finishers,, I disassemble my handgun mags, clean & wipe with a very lightly lubed cloth to hopefully assist in the speed I hope to get during a stage. After a stage,, in-between things, the ones that got dropped in the dirt,, get emptied, disassembled, re-cleaned & re-lubed.
This is NOT often,, as I'm not often in such a position. But I learned of that little tip from a top level world class competitor. The logic is that by doing so it can reduce the CHANCE of a hang-up by the magazine. Also,, ammo has been known to get a wipe down with a light coating silicone. Again,, to hopefully reduce the chances of a hang-up.

But in all other cases,, the occasional disassembly, cleaning, and inspection is all that most magazines get.

kramden

Blackhawk
contender said:
It depends.

Serious competition, where I may have a chance at placing in the top finishers,, I disassemble my handgun mags, clean & wipe with a very lightly lubed cloth to hopefully assist in the speed I hope to get during a stage. After a stage,, in-between things, the ones that got dropped in the dirt,, get emptied, disassembled, re-cleaned & re-lubed.
This is NOT often,, as I'm not often in such a position. But I learned of that little tip from a top level world class competitor. The logic is that by doing so it can reduce the CHANCE of a hang-up by the magazine. Also,, ammo has been known to get a wipe down with a light coating silicone. Again,, to hopefully reduce the chances of a hang-up.

But in all other cases,, the occasional disassembly, cleaning, and inspection is all that most magazines get.
Exactly what i think as well. Perhaps alittle extra work maintaince wise but I think it feeds better.

I have some LCP mags that get moisture on them and one had the audacity to rust! OMG! So they get wiped down with my oil cloth. The rusted one gets attention from steel wool, then Johnson Paste Wax(JPW) on it. Excess is wiped off. My LCP rusts too in spite of it being wiped down with my oil cloth, and it gets the JPW treatment too.
gramps

Get a Sig
(right back at you)

But then I never had a problem with a Ruger Mag and any of my P series pistols or even the rifle magazines.... but I generally don't crawl through he mud and dirt with them these days....

Set down your coffee cup:

I thought of a joke reading the title of this thread this morning... but it has more to do with youth and a Playboy mag...... oops..........

eveled

Hawkeye
In a perfect world, take them apart, clean and inspect all parts. De-burr / polish any rough spots. Spray with a dry lube and re-assemble. Check for function and smooth travel.

In my hectic world this really only would happen if I was experiencing malfunctions. I normally wipe them with an oily rag so I don't get finger print etches.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
contender said:
It depends.

Don't normally lube magazines, but believe they must be kept clean. The great Ruger .22 auto much prefers a clean magazine for prom lifting of the next cartridge. Great as it is, the .22 Long Rifle is a dirty little bird. I've shot the MK II with excellent reliability down to 15 below ZERO. Brownells Dri-Slide, a molydisulfide lube in evaporative medium, works well on both bolt/receiver & magazines. As I told one of the Brownells years ago, Dri-Slide helps keep steel from sticking when moisture acts to bond metal in hard freezing. The same rule applies to centerfire auto.

Plastic pistols, which have much less metal-to-metal contact, don't fare any better than a good 1911 under the kind of cold that snaps off door handles. I refer specifically to Glocks. As the mercury continues to drop, a rimfire runs out of steam to power the semiauto, while a properly attended centerfire continues on.

As Tyrone advises, the idea is preventive maintenance. Don't wait for Murphy.
David Bradshaw

Latest posts