another campain for a DA ruger .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
The makeshift sight arrangement offered on the SP101 .22 contributed to the impression it was not a serious effort. I think a real winner would be the Security-Six platform brought back as a nine-shot .22; but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
TRanger":279y9ywh said:
The makeshift sight arrangement offered on the SP101 .22 contributed to the impression it was not a serious effort. I think a real winner would be the Security-Six platform brought back as a nine-shot .22; but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Yep! I agree!
Heres a conversion that Bowen did offer at one time, not sure
about now.
Terry

scan00022.jpg

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
WAYNO":3rtyh7la said:
Well, since the SP101 used to be chambered in .22LR, then doing it again would be really simple. But, if they were not a red-hot seller before, I can't imagine Ruger would want to try it again.

But, with all the distributor-exclusives going on, maybe the distributors themselves should make the push.

GEDC0393.jpg

WAYNO.

That was when ammo was cheap. If the price was right, it would go over big time..................................

falrifles

Bearcat
Just a little comment regarding the SP101 rear sight on the .22 version. 10 rears ago, I went on a hunt for a S&W 63. I couldn't find one. Those I found were too expensive. In a small gun shop in rural Missouri, I found two SP101 .22s with a four inch barrel. One was new with box and all accessories. The other was used without a box. I was a bit put off by the appearance of the rear sight, but as I hefted the revolver, the sight picture was as big and clear as any S&W sight picture I've viewed.

Long story short....in my cheapness....I bought.... you guessed it, the used one. I took it out to shoot it and found that it put a cylinder full of any .22 ammo I put into the cylinder into one ragged hole at 15 yards and into 2 inches at 25 yards off sandbags. Double action on 10 yard tin cans made them bounce everytime.

I went to visit my sister and my brother in law and I went to the range. He took his new Tarus .22 stainless kit gun. The Ruger outshot his, when his would go off. The Tarus had a really heavy trigger. His looked like a S&W 63 clone.

Eureka!! I guess William B. Ruger knew what he was doing. He made an adjustable rear sight that instead of being a part of a dellicate assembly was burried into the topstrap for protection while maintaining a very useable level of accuracy.

After a month of realizing that I should have bought both revolvers, I ran back out to that rural gunshop to find that the other one was gone. Those were the only SP101 .22s I have ever seen in my life. I regret not buying both. Glad I bought at least one of them. I'll take 5 more of them if I can find them for other family members. They covet mine, will work for defense if need be and for every day economical enjoyment.

Again...Bill Ruger knew what he was doing.

Bill

mjh

Single-Sixer
Sent in the request a long time ago as SP, with 4in barrel, adjustable sights, 8 rounds. Gee alot of us are on the same page here whats a guy to do??? guess I'll have to go buy a Smith Model 63 or 617???

I'll put my money with the product that I'm interested in, regardless I'm in the saving for one or the other stage,

as far as "patience" goes when I'm all saved up I'll be ready to spend....

If Ruger has an option by then well I definatelly give it a hard look but I wont be holding my breath on that one.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
guns005.jpg

This old .22 is just like the very first one I bought 50 years ago. 9 shots top eject, accurate and fun.

maxpress

Buckeye
not holding my breath so i have been looking at the 6shot CA and the 9 shot tore-ass ultralite. i would really be wary about buying a .22 from these guys but its that or super cheap like HR, EMF or paying caddillac prices for a ford if i go smiffin wishin.

jackruff

Bearcat
I'e had an H&R Model 929 double-action 9-shot .22 with a 6" barrel for close to forty years. It's still in great shape and fun to shoot, but very loud. It even has adjustable sights and is quite accurate.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I'd like to see them do a really decent DA .22.

The original SP101 was a failed concept doomed from the start. A too heavy, no adjustable sight DA .22 only had limited practice/plinking purpose at best, and no real field use.

It must have a fully adjustable rear sight! .22s as we all know are notorious about ammo preferences so it made absolutely no sense not to be able to accommodate that to achieve maximum accuracy potential.

The SP101 was too heavy for a practical .22 field gun with that full slab barrel. Trim the barrel down, make it a 4 incher, and you got something. I know they did make some like that before.

Even better would be setting up the top strap to take a pistol scope mount/rings. I don't know if the room is there, but that would help.

And above all, do not build it on the LCR platform. That will be another disaster doomed from the start.

63November

Single-Sixer
If anyone else produced a virtually indestructible compact DA 22 revolver like the SP101, I'd replace the one which was stolen from me in a heartbeat. I kept mine in my chest pack, a kit which held my GPS, radio, revolver and a few other helpful "just in case" travel details. It was an important piece of my wilderness gear.

When I first acquired that little 22, just about every one of my friends around here also had to have one. They are great little tools for pot hunting. Head shooting ptarmigan and rabbits is no problem. Their heft makes the solid and easy to shoot well from a variety of positions one finds in field use. The simple, nearly-fixed sights mean you don't have to worry about whether the sights have shifted in rugged use. The hell-for-stout Ruger construction means you don't have to worry about much else either.

They were fine little weapons and tools. Perhaps the 22 or 23 versions of other 22 handguns Ruger made at the time they dropped it had something to do with their demise. It made as much sense as if they had dropped their 30-06 bolt actions because they didn't have enough "cool" factor.

Weathermaker":1r8ankyt said:
I'll stick with the Colt Diamondback 22LR with a 4" barrel.
:p

That is a very good choice!

That's where many of us thought that a Security Six, in .22 rimfire would have been the cats meow.

The K-Frame Smith is the only choice left, in a quality medium frame rimfire.

WAYNO.