Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Blackhawk
Can I replace these original grips on my GP100,

IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_2997.jpeg

With these:

IMG_4745.jpeg IMG_4744.jpeg

I just like the look and shape of the rubber and wood grips much better. But, looking at the back curve of the original grips, I wonder whether this is possible - it's a regular GP100 frame, right?

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
Yes, they can be replaced with the standard factory grips although it might be quit a 'wrestle' to get them off.
Besides the grips and wood panels, you will need the grip screw and the small aluminum cylinder 'grip retainer' that fits sideways through the rubber grip and grip frame to the other side.
That 'half lug' barrel profile is classically attractive. Very nice GP100.

If you look at the IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) in the GP100 Instruction Manual you will see that the grips for a GP100 mount to a frame stud (also called a grip peg) rather a frame like the way a single action Ruger is made. This actually makes mounting a grip of almost any shape very easy on a GP100 as well as a SP101, LCR, and Super Redhawk (as long as they are made for those guns)

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
Yep. I got some badger grips for my Talo .44 Special. Had to turn down a dowel to make the cross pin (forgot to order with grips).

{edited} got out and shot it with the grips. It's a handful, but manageable. No rubber on my guns. This is for Concealed carry anyway and have my other .44 Specials for general shooting. Added picture of Simply Rugged Pancake holster that I got for it.

Attachments

• gp100Grips_2_1024_serialblanked.jpg
    gp100Grips_2_1024_serialblanked.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 34
  • GP100_44Spec_Hoster_800_1.jpg
    GP100_44Spec_Hoster_800_1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Folks should remember to ask Ruger about those small parts and pieces. They're usually the easiest fix.

Pál_K

Blackhawk
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will be keeping the grips because they're part of the commemorative issue of this revolver (along with the certificate). I just prefer the feel of the rubber and rosewood grips.

I just replaced the factory Hogue rubber grips on my GP100 with Pachmyer Diamond Pro Grips. Have not been to the range yet, but dry-firing I greatly prefer them over the Hogues. Might want to consider them as an alternative. Only cost me $25 on Amazon. Normally go to shooting resources, but these were priced right and delivered in two days.

Latest posts