An interesting old Super BH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I just finished this set of grips for a friends old Super BH. My friend Keith bought it new while in the Marines in Japan in the 60`s. He paid less than $70 for it when he bought it new and had it engraved by the Master of a Local engraving school. It had a pair of Asian Elephant Ivory`s on it that were badly shrunken due to improper aging before making them. They finally broke so I took them off and saved them to go along with the gun.
These grips are spalted Western Big Leaf Maple.
I would love to own this piece and would loose the scope real fast.

How much would it cost to replace it today???

Nice gun, and yes, the scope has GOT to GO......had a nice older Single Six done exactly that way, almost the same pattern, a young Marine had it done while stationed over there and got it done for American cigarettes, I kid you not.............his came with "pewter" and gemstone inlaid grips panels,,,wish I had a picture of that baby today. Thanks for sharing........

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Very nice Chuck! Maybe I will have some similiar grips in the near future ;-)

98Redline

Blackhawk
I makes my heart hurt to think of what that no drill scope base is doing to the engraving under it. :cry:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I am with you 98Redline. The engraving on it is very deep and artfully and expertly done.
One way to check for GOOD engraving is to take a woman's nylon stocking and drag it over the surface of the gun. If it catches on the engraving it is a poor job. As in not well finished. That don`t happen on this one.
I believe the mount is made of aluminum and probably has not made any marks on the guns finish.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
I believe the mount is made of aluminum and probably has not made any marks on the guns finish.

Even so, to put such a utilitarian mount and scope on such a beautifully engraved revolver...I am at a loss for words.

It is akin to putting a trunk mounted bike rack on a pristine Mercedes Benz 300SL

olyinaz

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
I am with you 98Redline. The engraving on it is very deep and artfully and expertly done.
One way to check for GOOD engraving is to take a woman's nylon stocking and drag it over the surface of the gun. If it catches on the engraving it is a poor job. As in not well finished. That don`t happen on this one.

That's the first thing I noticed Chuck - how deep in relief that engraving is. It just looks downright luxurious.

Oly

flatgate

Hawkeye
I find it interesting that the engraver did NOT cut the area on the cylinder such that one could screw up and "ring the cylinder" but the engraving wouldn't be effected. Whew.......... :roll:

Beautiful gun, nonetheless!!!

flatgate

gramps

Hawkeye
Nice looking grips, Chuck. I am guessing it didn't get all scratched up whilst you were changing out the grips. :lol: . I agree with the rest, the scope et al would have to go if it were mine. Now that is a BBQ gun IMHO.
gramps

flatgate

Hawkeye
Huh? Color? What color?

357690092.jpg

Genuine re-blued Super. SR&Co. did a fantastic Job!
:D Flatgate

Joe S.

Hunter
98Redline said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

Even so, to put such a utilitarian mount and scope on such a beautifully engraved revolver...I am at a loss for words.

It is akin to putting a trunk mounted bike rack on a pristine Mercedes Benz 300SL
I use the same mount on my brass framed 45. While it isnt as beautiful as this super it does look out of place. But i didnt want to drill and tap the gun so didnt have another option. That is a beautiful revolver and some fine grips!