ammo grain in sr22. what's better for pulling slide back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannylightning

Bearcat
From what I have read it sounds like a lower grain will have more power to pull the slide back.

So would I be better off with say 32 ( maybe it was 36) grain or 40 grain.

My brand new sr22 does not seem to like this 40 grain ammo, not sure if the grain is the issue or not but I am going to get some CCI to try. I see it comes in a lower and higher grain. Not sure which would be better with this gun.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Not sure where you read that about the lower grain. But I guess the idea is if they go faster they must have more power. I would think the reason they go faster is because they weigh less.

Regardless, you really need to try several brands of ammo through your SR to see if certain ones cycle better than others. Not sure how many brands you have tried to date, but the more the merrier. Also after a few hundred rounds you might find it is less particular then it is when brand new.

So far I have tried over 13 different types of ammo and only had issues with one. Six months later the exact same box of ammo worked just fine.

Congrats on your SR!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I also doubt the weight of the bullet is the issue. My question would be; "Are you using High Velocity or Standard Velocity ammo?"

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
A heavier bullet will have more recoil impulse to throw the slide back.Keep shooting the gun.It just needs to be broken in.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
FOR OUR FIRST PHYSICS LESSON OF THE DAY : The recoil of the cartridge firing, the heavier the bullet the heavier the recoil, PUSHES the slide to the rear, it does not pull it. GOD have you two fine thumbs and forefingers to do any pulling that's required, Sir.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My wife got a SR22 for her B'day this past spring, and it shoots whatever is loaded with no problems, including the cheap Eley std. vel.

That said, there could be any number of things causing your gun to malfunction. Insufficient lube in the right places, heavier than usual hammer spring, burrs on internal parts, etc., etc. Given the various ammo you've fired, I doubt ammo would be top of the list. You might take it to a gunsmith to check it out, instead of just flailing around and getting your blood pressure up. :)

dannylightning

Bearcat
what i was reading about the grain did not make much sense to me, it did not seem to be explained well on the couple of websites i found on a google search. weight of the bullet is not anything i ever had to worry about before.

i have been shooting for a long time, but dont get out all that much due to cost of .45 ammo, so i picked up the .22 i don't know allot of the proper gun terminology, i have never done much reading or been on the forums. i bought a glock back in the day and they just worked perfectly, i always bought the blazer ammo, had a cop teach me how to shoot properly, never had any issues or felt the need to get on the forums before so i am finally in need of doing research on ammo and what not.

i have only tried the 1300fps 40 grain Winchester super X, that was all they had in stock that was not match grade or low velocity. but with this super x ammo i get Fail to feed and some fail to eject, so far i have 200 rounds thew the gun. and i have 200 rounds of this ammo left.

fist 100 rounds probably 20-30 shots went great, that it started acting up. lots of failure to feeds and lots of shells fitting really tight in the barrel and not wanting to extract. took it home and cleaned it, second set of 100 rounds i probably shot about 50 rounds and than it started to act up but not as bad as the first 100 rounds. i only had a small hand full of shells stuck in the barrel on the second day and still quite a few failure to feed issues.

i am guessing that is probably the ammo or the gun was just dirty, i see lots of residue in the gun when i take i apart for cleaning, looks like dust chunks all over the inside of the gun, this might just be really dirty ammo. or it still might need some breaking in still. but i am guessing its the ammo. not sure why some shells fit so tight in the barrel, maybe there were made that way or expanded after the round was fired ( not sure if that can happen or not ) but after the cleaning everything seemed to move very smoothly, after about 50 rounds or so i noticed when i pulled the slide back it did not seem to be moving as smoothly as it was, so that is another reason i am thinking the ammo is very dirty plus i never saw this curd inside of my glock after a 200-400 round shooting session.

i did not realize .22 was so scarce, i know it was last year but i thought it was back to normal, i have been looking online the last few days trying to find some rem golden bullet or CCI mini mags but it all seems sold out. i hear most people love those types of ammo in the SR22 from what i was reading those sound like the most popular.

i am not upset or frustrated yet since i have only tried one type of ammo and i have found some bad reviews on this ammo from sr22 owners, if i end up finding some CCI mini mag and than i have issues ill probably start to worry, i just figured the weight of the bullet might have made some sort of difference. from what you all said i will try to stick with 36-40 grain ammo

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Yeah ammo is still hard to find. But its out there if you keep looking. I was at range yesterday and they had ammo available although rather high. I bought my SR in Feb 2013 and didnt know there was an ammo issue at all. Quick education and I started hunting for ammo everytime I could. Now I have a comfortable supply and only buy when I can find acceptable prices.

The SR is a fun shooter but you do need to find some other brands of ammo before you worry any. Mini Mags are an excellent find and my pistol cycles their Standard Velocity ammo perfectly.

dannylightning

Bearcat
i found some 36 grain mini mags, ran a few hundred rounds threw it and not one issue, gun was really dirty after i was done and it was still shooting fine at the end of the session. the mini mags felt like they had allot more power behind them than the super x did even though the super x is 40 grain and rated at 1300fps, almost felt like shooting a much larger caliber now that i got some mini mags.

looks like it was just lousy ammo causing my issue.

Kermit814

Bearcat
The Winchester Super X rounds do not run well in my SR22 or my wife's. My 10/22 takedown eats them just fine though, so don't cry for me too much :)

Every band of semi-auto 22 pistol is ammo finicky to a certain point, but the SR22s are some of the least picky around. Super X rounds are pretty much the only thing that does not run in ours.
*Check local listings, your results may vary.

Oh, and stay away from Thunderbolts. A lot of people have run into lead fouling issues in the barrel.

shakyshoot

Bearcat
I don't own a .22 that likes Winchesters. You'd at least think a revolver would shoot anything, but with my Single Six, about 1 out of 15 Winchesters won't fit in the chambers. Fortunately I have an insane quantity of Mini Mags, CCI Standards, and Federal Game-Shoks.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
I've put at least 2000 rounds through my SR22. It LOVES the cheap stuff like Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullets. Does great with CCI Mini Mags and Federal Bulk.

What it does not like, even after being well broken in, are American Eagle and Winchester Super X.

I also have a Mark II that doesn't like Winchester Super X.

Just bought a Sig Sauer 1911-22 and it too loves the Remington, but will not cycle the
Winchester.

I'm just using the American Eagle and Winchester in my Henry Golden Boy where I don't have to worry about.

The cheap stuff may be dirty, but I clean my guns often any way.

dachshund

Bearcat
My SR22 likes anything I've put through it, including standard velocity, but it does NOT like Federal, especially the bulk Walmart stuff. There is something about the case dimension that causes FTFs. I'm not the only person to come to this conclusion. I've seen other comments on different forums with the same conclusion.

LawndartMike

Bearcat
The wife's SR22 shoots everything but Winchester. The only weapon I have that will shoot them is my Mark III. Seems that Winchester's quality control is not too good and some cases are a little fat. I too have had issues getting them into my single six's cylinder. But, using the cylinder as a gauge, I was able to sort out the fat ones and what was left shot just fine in the SR22.

Yiddil

Single-Sixer
I have a SR22 and it has performed flawlessly for the last 6months Ive had it...Ive used every kind of 22 ammo I could find...never an issue, HV, SV...made no difference, hollow points, brass, lead...

Recently I got some of those "golden bullets" for a good price so I will try them this weekend...

Same thing holds true for the 10/22 takedowns...shoots everything without a hick-up....:)

But I clean my stuff after each use and maybe that's the ticket that makes things work so well...clean, lube and clean some more...:)

QB

Single-Sixer
This thread had me worried about a bunch of ammo I found in my closet. Took my SR22 to the range last night and shot 50 each of the below ammo and the gun functioned 100%. Once I use up all the ammo I have (which may be awhile), I'm not sure what brand I'll re-buy.

Federal Classic HV 40 gr solid copper plated
Winchester SuperX plated hollow point 40 gr HV
Federal Auto Match Target Grade 30 gr solid (325 pack)
Winchester SuperX HV 40 gr (325 pack)
Remington Thunderbolt HV round nose
Federal Champion HV 36 gr copper plated hollow point (value pack)

modrifle3

Buckeye
The SR22 is designed to be used with any standard velocity and higher .22lr but there seems to be pistols out there that need the high velocity ammo. I have no in depth experience with any of these designs that look like centerfire pistols instead of conventional .22 pistols, but they all seem to need more than standard power to function 100%.

Latest posts