10/22 Back To Normal (Almost)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
z86xFzHh.jpg

This particular rifle was given recently to me by an old friend. I changed it for Steel Challenge shooting and everything was given to me by friends. I caught the bug and since I had all the parts from Glenn' gun left over I decided to build a new target rifle.

It now looks the same as original except I used a Magpull Hunter stock. It still has the original trigger from Ruger. I bought a BX trigger for it but I just don't like it. It gives me a 3 pound 3 ounce trigger that's nice but not what I really want.

I bought the Kidd trigger kit and should be able to go down as low at 1.5 pounds. The kit is on it's way but I'll put it into the OEM trigger group later this week.

Now I have two 10/22s. They are addicting and I'll bet I get another to work on. This one was easy and inexpensive. Next one I build I'll get all the parts and do it myself.

z86xFzHh.jpg

This particular rifle was given recently to me by an old friend. I changed it for Steel Challenge shooting and everything was given to me by friends. I caught the bug and since I had all the parts from Glenn' gun left over I decided to build a new target rifle.

It now looks the same as original except I used a Magpull Hunter stock. It still has the original trigger from Ruger. I bought a BX trigger for it but I just don't like it. It gives me a 3 pound 3 ounce trigger that's nice but not what I really want.

I bought the Kidd trigger kit and should be able to go down as low at 1.5 pounds. The kit is on it's way but I'll put it into the OEM trigger group later this week.

Now I have two 10/22s. They are addicting and I'll bet I get another to work on. This one was easy and inexpensive. Next one I build I'll get all the parts and do it myself.
I've got one 10/22 with all Kidd parts. The trigger is especially nice. It's the 2 stage lightest trigger they offer. Just amazing.

I've also wanted to get another just to trick it out.

Let us know how everything turns out.

bear007

Bearcat
So I'm new to 10/22's but looking to tinker in my retirement. Who or where are some good sources for buying parts for upgrades or to build one?

On that note, just curious if $400 is a good price for a used Davidson Exclusive takedown model #21182? It has stainless barrel, magpul takedown stock, all 4 mags and the scope rail attached, I don't know if it has the box, manual or anything else.
21182.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm new to 10/22's but looking to tinker in my retirement. Who or where are some good sources for buying parts for upgrades or to build one?

On that note, just curious if $400 is a good price for a used Davidson Exclusive takedown model #21182? It has stainless barrel, magpul takedown stock, all 4 mags and the scope rail attached, I don't know if it has the box, manual or anything else.
View attachment 37941
That Magpul stock is about $115. So if you purchase a new regular takedown model at around $360 and add that stock you are at around $475. I'd say that is an ok deal if its good condition. The model you have pictured also has the fiber optic sights which I do have on a different model but those don't come on a regular takedown model, I'd see it as a plus if you want to stay with open sights.

bear007

Bearcat
That Magpul stock is about $115. So if you purchase a new regular takedown model at around $360 and add that stock you are at around $475. I'd say that is an ok deal if its good condition. The model you have pictured also has the fiber optic sights which I do have on a different model but those don't come on a regular takedown model, I'd see it as a plus if you want to stay with open sights.
Thanks

Your welcome. I'm relatively new to 10/22s but have 4 at the moment. I have one standard 10/22 takedown that I later added a Houge takedown stock to but have also become a fan of Magpul. I have a Ruger PCC that is a takedown and I put a Magpul takedown stock on it. If I'd bought the Magul PCC stock before the 10/22 Hogue, I might have bought the Magul stock like you pictured for my 10/22. I think the Magpuls are more versatile and I like how the Magpul takedown stocks link together when taken down, they have some cool storage, different available comb heights and lastly have an availble red dot mount that goes on the barrel. Geez, I'm talking myself into one of these models now!
Good luck and I'm sure others will be along to give you some input and good to have from some folks with more experience.

bear007

Bearcat
I have the PC carbine myself and put the Magpul FDE takedown stock on it with a red dot. It's a great shooting gun and eats any ammo. I wanted the PC carbine in40 S&W but when I made up my mind to buy it Ruger discontinued it 2 months earlier ... and I haven't seen 1 since.

I just started with the 10/22's, bought the standard Collector's Series rifle #31191. I'm really thinking about adding a takedown and saw the 1 above at my LGS. I'm just not sure I like the stainless though.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I've got one 10/22 with all Kidd parts. The trigger is especially nice. It's the 2 stage lightest trigger they offer. Just amazing.

I've also wanted to get another just to trick it out.

Let us know how everything turns out.
I bought the KIDD Trigger Kit and was all set to put it in my 10/22 housing but mine is Aluminum and the kit is for Polymer housings. It doesn't fit.

I called Kidd today and they sent me an RMA number to send it back.

I then ordered a Power Custom Kit that does work with the Aluminum housing and can get as low as 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. Right where I want to be.

Just for fun I polished the internals of my OEM trigger. It was 6.5 pounds from the factory. It's now 3.3/4 pounds. I can do more stoning tomorrow to see if I can get it down any further.

I love tinkering with my guns.

I have the PC carbine myself and put the Magpul FDE takedown stock on it with a red dot. It's a great shooting gun and eats any ammo. I wanted the PC carbine in40 S&W but when I made up my mind to buy it Ruger discontinued it 2 months earlier ... and I haven't seen 1 since.

I just started with the 10/22's, bought the standard Collector's Series rifle #31191. I'm really thinking about adding a takedown and saw the 1 above at my LGS. I'm just not sure I like the stainless though.

Too many choices! That's a nice collectors model. All my 10/22's are blued except my takedown and I did want a 10/22 with the stainless. My thoughts were with the takedown in stainless would be better for scratches, wear, etc also the silver adjustment collar is present even on the blued takedown. Messed with my ocd on the look! Have fun getting a takedown whatever you pick. I find myself taking the take down a lot to the range, mine seems pretty accurate and cleaning it over a regular 10/22 is a joy.

I bought a 10/22 once. One night I laid many hundreds of dollars on it and the next day the money had disappeared as had the Ruger. But in its place was an all Kidd with Fedderson 16" bull barrel, and Victor Titan stock with a Sightron T36X scope. Kidd receiver, two stage trigger, bolt, all internals, screws, ect. Not even one Ruger screw left. I have the Gunsmither V block to secure the barrel. I would have saved money if I didn't buy factory 10/22 initially. Obvisiously this is a bench set-up. It weighs a ton and the trigger is set to ounces, but it will keep up with many good bolt rifles using match ammo. I would l put it on par with the small bolt Annies :cool: Actually I mounted a 10/22 rifle on a scope!

Attachments

• Kidd 1.jpg
    Kidd 1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Kidd 2.jpg
    Kidd 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 40

bear007

Bearcat
I bought a 10/22 once. One night I laid many hundreds of dollars on it and the next day the money had disappeared as had the Ruger. But in its place was an all Kidd with Fedderson 16" bull barrel, and Victor Titan stock with a Sightron T36X scope. Kidd receiver, two stage trigger, bolt, all internals, screws, ect. Not even one Ruger screw left. I have the Gunsmither V block to secure the barrel. I would have saved money if I didn't buy factory 10/22 initially. Obvisiously this is a bench set-up. It weighs a ton and the trigger is set to ounces, but it will keep up with many good bolt rifles using match ammo. I would l put it on par with the small bolt Annies :cool: Actually I mounted a 10/22 rifle on a scope!
Now you can take all those parts and rebuild the original gun back up, at no cost ... and then start all over again on another vision. Have fun!

Or we can make a deal for me to get those parts from you and build it myself??? 🤣 Something for me to do in my retirement on these cold snowy days.

Now you can take all those parts and rebuild the original gun back up, at no cost ... and then start all over again on another vision. Have fun!

Or we can make a deal for me to get those parts from you and build it myself??? 🤣 Something for me to do in my retirement on these cold snowy days.
I sold all the Ruger parts. Got back half + of the original Ruger parts.

Bowzette, its hard to 'unsee' that Victor stock! Didn't know those existed and will keep those in mind for some future build or change to my current 10/22 bench rifle build.

@bear007 - You had also asked about sources of parts. For some stock Ruger stuff I've been using S&P Outfitters. Mostly new takeoff stuff I need for a build at a great price and also completely new BX-Trigger for stellar price. If that is the type of stuff you need, I'd recommend them, Matt at S&P Outfitters is super quick with orders and great communication. For upgrade parts, I'm just learning. Upgrading stocks is simple enough finding what you want at a good price online but things like barrels I've just started. Picked a green mountain barrel for a build, sourced from R&S at a good price but I don't know yet how much better it will be. I'm sure folks can chime in here, KIDD and other high end manufacturers seem to be the normal here.

Latest posts