Allowed deer to walk on by,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm enjoying my local deer hunting right now. In NC,, we are allowed up to (6) deer. But only (2) of them can be antlered. I've already culled a buck I wanted to remove from the gene pool,, and I have a specific buck I'd like to take now.
So,, today,, I had a couple of smaller bucks walking around my area,, and I just smiled. I said (quietly) "Hang around here guys,, I won't bother you,, and if you are here,, nobody else will either."

A little later,, a noticeably bigger buck came slipping in. He's a fair 8-pt,, but not the one I seek. I could have easily taken him, as well as the others. But I have my hopes of a specific buck,, bigger,, and more elusive. I have about another month of season to try & connect with "that one."

So,, I'm allowing deer to walk on by.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
I envy you. If I were allowed that many does I would put four in my freezer. Antlers are cool, but I find them tough to chew on no matter how long I boil them.
Here doe tags and cow Elk tags are issued by drawing. Some years I get one some years not. This year they allowed one "either sex" Whitetail as long as it was shot in the first week of the season so I shot a doe. After the first week it's buck only.
The past 2 seasons I had 5x5 bull Elk in my crosshairs and passed them up. I already have a few racks that size and I don't want to chew on any gamey bulls just so I can have another 5x5 rack.
The years I get a cow Elk tag I'm thankful I live here.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, we are allowed a more liberal number of does. BUT,, a lot depends upon which part of the state you live in as to how long you can hunt "either sex." In my area,, only 2 weeks of firearm season. But I can hunt them during the 2 week muzzleloading season,, or all the time during archery season.
I normally take a few does annually,, but with the freezer full enough,, and the pictures I've taken on my property,, I'm letting the does pass in general. Not saying I won't take a doe,, but I only have (2) more days for them here. I can head east & keep doe hunting.

I've taken elk as well, and a cow is fine by me too!

mirglip

Single-Sixer
They just started a muzzleloader season in my region of Montana this year. I don't currently own a muzzleloader. The season is Dec 9 thru Dec 17 and there is no "either sex" included. I doubt I would buy a muzzleloader even if it included does, it's just too cold and most years too much snow to walk on steep terrain.

contender

Ruger Guru
Our muzzleloading season is 2 weeks,, right in front of regular gun season. And it's during the prime time for pre-rut activity & rut activity. Lots of movement & opportunities during those 2 weeks.
However,, this year,, I was holding off on things,, awaiting a couple of specific bucks. Didn't burn any charcoal during that timeframe. And the does I saw,, weren't what I prefer to take.

MO has 'liberalized antlerless harvest' due to the CWD threat(about a decade too late IMHO). Grouch Attack and I can get a total of 18 tags based on our landowner status in two counties and the tags available for purchase but only 1 buck per hunter. This number doesn't include archery tags but we're not archers.
I think we've tagged 7 so far but things can get pretty wild during the late alternative methods season. Find a good food source or travel path and stack 'em up. I'm hoping for a Christmas snow to help this along.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I don't live far from Contender, but our season is "maximum", which meens we can take does all season, plus the urban archery season allows 2 bonus doe tags and a longer season if you want to hunt in town

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, not terribly too far away the laws change. If I had a place to go I'd probably go and get a few does.
That 8-point is tempting me. He returned today. Within about 40 yards and stood still for plenty of time to make a shot if I had wanted to.

I'm heading out in a short while. The field of corn just across the road from our north farm was harvested this week and for sure the deer won't be hiding there anymore. Last week's snow evidenced the travel pattern of what appears to be a HERD of deer from some heavy cover on our place to the corn field and I intend to be watching a fence crossing between this morning.
I have 2 antlerless tags left and intend to use them if possible.

MO has 'liberalized antlerless harvest' due to the CWD threat(about a decade too late IMHO). Grouch Attack and I can get a total of 18 tags based on our landowner status in two counties and the tags available for purchase but only 1 buck per hunter. This number doesn't include archery tags but we're not archers.
I think we've tagged 7 so far but things can get pretty wild during the late alternative methods season. Find a good food source or travel path and stack 'em up. I'm hoping for a Christmas snow to help this along.

Georgia includes 12 antlerless tags with every license sold. Two antlered tags per license. One big game license includes all legal hunting methods, archery, front stuffer, centerfire cartridge, shotguns too.

One buck tag can be used on any buck, spike, fork horn, etc. The other buck must have 4 points on at least one of its antlers. Some counties in GA have trophy rules, all bucks must have 4 one side or have an inside spread of 15 inches.

GA still has doe days during firearm season, it ranges from 2-3 days to every day of the season. The county I hunt, does are legal to take everyday of whatever season is open from early September to mid January. I plan to kill at least 2 does, to keep our farmer/landowner happy.

Our little hunting group, 6 members, follow the practice of shoot the first nice buck you see and hold out for a bigger buck for #2.

One of the State Parks we used to camp and boat at had a bunch of deer that were used to the people. In the evening 10-15 Doe and a couple of Bucks would pass within 50' or so of our campsite to get water from the lake.
One evening I was siting at a table drinking a beer and eating some chips while watching them pass by and drink. On their return trip one of the Doe spotted my chip bag and came up to me so I would give her some chips which I did. Don't worry as Mason told Dixon "this is where we draw the line" you do not get any beer to go with your chips. :) ;) Anyway I thought it was pretty cool

contender

Ruger Guru
I swear that buck is just trying to get shot. Third day in a row he's come by on his way to feeding. Today he was a lot more nervous,, and didn't spend much time as he went by. Three days in a row. Sheesh!

I'd like to leave him alone & let him grow into a better buck by the next few years. But he sure is making it hard!

I'm getting ready to take a few days off from hunting. I have a NCRPA BOD meeting tomorrow,, and Monday,, I have several work phone calls that need my attention. I'll most likely have to work a few days too. We'll see how it goes.

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
No telephoto. Not sure who watches who at my place but, since none of them have shot at me I tend to leave them alone. The only pesky thing is the occasional deer sleeping in front of the 50 yd target.

Attachments

• owl 1.JPG
    owl 1.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 39
  • bear1.JPG
    bear1.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC04046.JPG
    DSC04046.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 31
I had two small 'spiker' bucks come within 30 and 50 FEET of the pickup yesterday morning. After reading the rule book I determined I could sit in the vehicle as long as both feet were on the ground before shooting. I had a spot picked out and parked the old farm pickup tucked back into a large blown over tree top. Sure enough, the deer were moving but only the little bucks made such foolish moves. The does bedded just out of sight and no way could I get within sight w/o them blowing out even though I knew they were right there in a rose bush thicket 200 yards away.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it's going to be a good thing I'm not in the woods for a few days. The weather isn't going to be the best for hunting. Too warm & very windy. I guess I'll work instead.

Keep after them does Mobuck! You'll get them.

KIR

Sparks, NV
No telephoto. Not sure who watches who at my place but, since none of them have shot at me I tend to leave them alone. The only pesky thing is the occasional deer sleeping in front of the 50 yd target.
I too shoot animals...with a camera. A couple of months ago while driving out to Pyramid Lake, north of Sparks, NV, I spotted my first ever Bighorns. Alas, by the time I stopped by the side of the road and got my camera out, they had started walking back towards the mountains. I was fortunate enough to get good pictures of their backsides thanks to the telephoto on my pawn shop bought Nikon for only $80. It opens automatically to the wide angle. I go around to all the parks in the Sparks/Reno area and have taken lots of pictures of birds and waterfowl. Once an eagle landed on top of a tree at the Marina. Probably visiting from the area where they hang out, south of Minden/Gardnerville. Next spring will go down there and hopefully get more/better pictures of them. Shamus, strongly suggest you check out the pawn shops for a camera with a telephoto.
Oh, I still go shooting, I just don't shoot at animals, That's just me...Had to qualify as expert when I was in the service every six months for four years. I can still do it!

I too shoot animals...with a camera. A couple of months ago while driving out to Pyramid Lake, north of Sparks, NV, I spotted my first ever Bighorns. Alas, by the time I stopped by the side of the road and got my camera out, they had started walking back towards the mountains. I was fortunate enough to get good pictures of their backsides thanks to the telephoto on my pawn shop bought Nikon for only $80. It opens automatically to the wide angle. I go around to all the parks in the Sparks/Reno area and have taken lots of pictures of birds and waterfowl. Once an eagle landed on top of a tree at the Marina. Probably visiting from the area where they hang out, south of Minden/Gardnerville. Next spring will go down there and hopefully get more/better pictures of them. Shamus, strongly suggest you check out the pawn shops for a camera with a telephoto.
Oh, I still go shooting, I just don't shoot at animals, That's just me...Had to qualify as expert when I was in the service every six months for four years. I can still do it!
Sometimes and often it is just as much fun to watch the critters and snap pictures which is also great!

Latest posts