Air Rifle scopes vs. regular scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HogBob

Bearcat
I've heard of some shooters using air rifle scopes on their 22LR rifles. Has anyone done this with good results? I know that using a regular scope on an air rifle can ruin the scope because of the unique recoil of an air rifle. Info on this would be appreciated.
Bob

cbass

Single-Sixer
You know, I've often wondered he same thing--looking forward to hearing from someone with experience.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Check with the specific manufacturer to be sure. For high quality scopes there should not be any problem even for large centerfire rifles.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Spring driven air rifles recoil in two directions fore and aft so the scopes need to be built for that, powder rifles only recoil in one direction.

mn_doggie

Bearcat
TiteGroups said:
Spring driven air rifles recoil in two directions fore and aft so the scopes need to be built for that, powder rifles only recoil in one direction.

Correct. You can put a air rifle scope on a rimfire but not the other way around...

Charon

Single-Sixer
I destroyed two different scopes on a Marlin Camp 45, probably because of its recoil. I commented on that to a local gunsmith, who said that autoloaders are rough on scopes. Apparently, autoloaders also have the "two-way recoil" of air rifles. I'd guess the low recoil forces of a .22 wouldn't cause many problems, but the recoil of the Camp 45 was not negligible.

The major benefit of an air rifle scope on a 22 is paralax setting. Most centerfire rifle scopes are set to be paralax free at 100 yards while air gun scopes are set for 50 yards where most 22's are shot. I've had an older RWS compact 4 power on various 22's for years with good results. It is currently on a blue/synthetic 10/22 where I think it will remain.

toysoldier

Hunter
Charon said:
I destroyed two different scopes on a Marlin Camp 45, probably because of its recoil. I commented on that to a local gunsmith, who said that autoloaders are rough on scopes. Apparently, autoloaders also have the "two-way recoil" of air rifles. I'd guess the low recoil forces of a .22 wouldn't cause many problems, but the recoil of the Camp 45 was not negligible.

A blowback autoloader would have the same sort of "forward recoil" as a spring-piston air rifle. As you move up to .45 caliber, that force would be considerable. Any autoloader wit a heavy bolt assemble would be similar.

hpman66

Hunter
I have heard that Mini-14s were pretty hard on scopes until the Ranch Rifle came out. The RR has a built in buffer to make it easier on scopes.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I was skeptical when I heard air guns break scopes until I bought a good one. It broke every scope I put on it. I then purchased a scope made for air rifles and had no problem with it.
I decided my 10/22 would be better because it is quieter than my air rifle so I put the air gun scope on my 10/22 . It works fine and I have not had a problem with it yet.

I also had a Redfield scope on a 30.06 for years and never had a problem with it. I took it off my 30.06 and put it on a Mini 14 and it broke the first time I shot it. It broke the crosshairs where they meet in the center.

jpickar

Blackhawk
There is that myth that air rifle scopes are made better than a regular scope. Here is what I found after actually doing my own footwork.
I called leupold, burris and talked to thier engineers, nikon tech rep.

Leupold and burris engineer and nilon rep. said that ALL of thier scopes are made the same including thier air rifle scopes. The only difference in thier air rifle scope is it is parallex adjustable to 33 feet. A 22 rifle parallex adjustable scope is adjustable to 25 yards. A non parallex adjustable 22 scope parallex is set at 75 yards. All other scopes are set to 150 yards to be parallex free.

All manufacturers said that air rifle recoil being tougher is a myth. It is not rougher on a scope than any other recoil.

A cheap scope is just that, a cheap scope and they will not with stand recoil from any gun very long. A 45 acp does not create more recoil or different reciol than any other cart.

I have a "air rifle" scope on my 40X target gun only because I got such a good deal on it used. It is not built any different or better than any other scope. Think about it. Most air rifle scopes are cheaper than regular scopes. They have to be to be able to get the inexpensive air rifle market. If they were made tougher they would cost a lot more than a regular scope and would be cost prohibative.

John