A very special Randall........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

THREEDFLYER

Bearcat
Wanted to share photos of one of my two Randall knives.
This one has a sad story as it was ordered by Richard Baker who was serving in Vietnam but by the time the knife arrived to his mother's home Richard had been killed in action. The knife was never used and I ended up purchasing from a third party a few years ago. The shipping box and with label included. Thank you Richard for your service!!!

Here is a link to the Wall of Faces page about Richard....
THE WALL OF FACES - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

Baxter6551

Bearcat
That is one serious looking knife. I'm sure Mr. Baker didn't intend to use that for regular camping chores. Thank you for honoring his service and sacrifice. I'm sure Randall has heard many other stories about their knives but have you shared it with them ? Do they have a museum ?

RC44Mag

Buckeye
That is one serious looking knife. I'm sure Mr. Baker didn't intend to use that for regular camping chores. Thank you for honoring his service and sacrifice. I'm sure Randall has heard many other stories about their knives but have you shared it with them ? Do they have a museum ?
That's Randall's Model #1. It's a "fighting knife" and a very interesting story on how Randall got started in the knife making business and how the #1 started its way to being an icon in the knife game. I bought a #1 a couple years ago but wanted one for a long time. One famous serviceman who carried one was Gen Westmoreland, there are many others who did as well, starting in WWII.
They have a museum in Orlando, Fl.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've seen many Randall knives. I've never owned one,, but that one right there is one I'd be PROUD to be the owner of.
I'm glad it's in the hands of someone who appreciates the "behind the scenes" story AND honors the man who originally was supposed to own it.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
Both my son's and my SF5 Bowies are displayed in the case with his burial flag.

For those who are not up on Randall knives, the SF5 cannot be purchased. They are only presented upon graduation from Q's and acceptance into the Special Forces. They hold a special place in the heart forever.

eveled

Hawkeye
That's a special knife, knowing who it was made for and knowing he gave all for us, makes it priceless. I'm glad it found a good home, thank you for sharing it with us.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
By songwriter Guy Clark:

"
My father had a Randall knife, my mother gave it to him
When he went off to World War II
to save us all from ruin
Now if you've ever held a Randall knife, you know my father well
If a better blade was ever made, it was prob'ly forged in hell
My father was a good man, he was a lawyer by his trade
And only once did I ever see him misuse the blade
Well, it almost cut his thumb off when he took it for a tool

The knife was made for darker things, you could not bend the rules

[Verse 2]
Well, he let me take it camping once on a Boy Scout jamboree
And I broke a half-an-inch off tryin' to stick it in a tree
Well, I hid it from him for a while, but the knife and he were one
And he put it in his bottom drawer without a hard word won

There it slept and there it stayed for twenty some-odd years
Sort of like Excalibur except waiting for a tear

[Verse 3]
My father died when I was forty and I couldn't find a way to cry
Not because I didn't love him, not because he didn't try
Well, I'd cried for every lesser thing: whiskey, pain, and beauty
But he deserved a better tear and I was not quite ready

So we took his ashes out to sea and poured 'em off the stern
And then threw the roses in the wake of everything we'd learned
And when we got back to the house they asked me what I wanted
Not the law books, not the watch–I need the thing he's haunted
My hand burned for the Randall knife there in the bottom drawer
And I found a tear for my father's life and all that it stood for"

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
There is a very strong connection between a front line soldier and his knife, I had an Emerson, I passed it to the young man that was taking my place when I left and he did the same at the end of his service. I spent years looking for a replacement to that knife, finally found one for sale in Las Vegas, NV. I called the shop and had them hold it for me as I was going to be there a couple weeks later. I had to put the original knife on layaway because I couldn't afford it all at once on my E-2 paycheck.
I love the story of your Randall, I'm sure Richard Baker knows it is in good hands!

RonEgg

Blackhawk
These are my first two Randall's. The one without the lanyard was my brothers from about 1962. He bought it after boot camp. The other is mine from 1965.
While I was in boot camp, I was called into the duty hut by my drill instructor and very solemnly handed a telegram. It read "Randall in mail. Send money."
They had assumed a family member was in jail and wanted to support me in some way. I explained the situation and when it arrived they held it until graduation.
My brother knew what would happen. He's still laughing.
Incidentally mine had two tours in VietNam. Still looks pretty good.
IMG_0978.jpeg

Last edited:

krw

Blackhawk
Both my son's and my SF5 Bowies are displayed in the case with his burial flag.

For those who are not up on Randall knives, the SF5 cannot be purchased. They are only presented upon graduation from Q's and acceptance into the Special Forces. They hold a special place in the heart forever.
Maybe sometime you cood post a pic of a Randall SF5 Bowie. I am curious about these. Thanks in advance!!

eveled

Hawkeye
These are my first two Randall's. The one without the lanyard was my brothers from about 1962. He bought it after boot camp. The other is mine from 1965.
While I was in boot camp, I was called into the duty hut by my drill instructor and very solemnly handed a telegram. It read "Randall in mail. Send money."
They had assumed a family member was in jail and wanted to support me in some way. I explained the situation and when it arrived they held it until graduation.
My brother knew what would happen. He's still laughing.
Incidentally mine had two tours in VietNam. Still looks pretty good.
View attachment 28785
Thanks for sharing. When I ordered my model1 I configured it like yours.

Model 1-7 leather handle with the model 2 shape.
IMG_2067.jpeg