A little rust on my new LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Takedown

Bearcat
Living in the dry climate of Colorado I've never experienced or had any issues with rust before. I picked up a new LC9 and a Don Hume IWB holster for it; the one without the slide guard. I carried an XD sub for a couple months prior to switching over to the LC9 and never had an issue before. After just a couple days of carrying the LC9 the back end of the slide, where it contacted my skin, was starting to rust. I was able to get the rust off but also removed a little of the original bluing in the process. I then touched it up with a bluing pen and oiled the crud out of it overnight. This is how it looked before and after the touch up. I just hope there won't be long term problems or that this isn't a sign of a lesser quality bluing being done by Ruger :(

IMAG0158-1.jpg

IMAG0169-1.jpg

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
I've been carrying my LC9 IWB for a few weeks and have been having a similiar problem. I'm getting rust towards the end of the slide; near the barrel opening and the mag release has some rust on it. It's just on the left side of the gun (I carry RH, about 3-4 o'clock) Just about every night I have to wipe it down w/ oil. I've been hesitant to call Ruger about it. It is my every day carry and weather here in Michigan has been hot lately; meaning I've been doing a lot of sweating. I'll try to find some Breakfree CLP and give that a try.

Takedown

Bearcat
Pyromike said:
I've been carrying my LC9 IWB for a few weeks and have been having a similiar problem. I'm getting rust towards the end of the slide; near the barrel opening and the mag release has some rust on it. It's just on the left side of the gun (I carry RH, about 3-4 o'clock) Just about every night I have to wipe it down w/ oil. I've been hesitant to call Ruger about it. It is my every day carry and weather here in Michigan has been hot lately; meaning I've been doing a lot of sweating. I'll try to find some Breakfree CLP and give that a try.

I contacted Ruger about the issue and they said they would re-blue it for free but I don't want to be without my LC9 for the time it would take to send it back.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Takedown said:
I contacted Ruger about the issue and they said they would re-blue it for free but I don't want to be without my LC9 for the time it would take to send it back.

You sold the XD or just don't want to carry it for a couple of weeks?

I'd get it re-blued then use a good protective now you know what it does. Not sure you can say it's a poor bluing job, bluing rusts fairly easily. The XD has the same finish as Glock I think, Tennifer. Way better than bluing.

Takedown

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
Takedown said:

You sold the XD or just don't want to carry it for a couple of weeks?

I'd get it re-blued then use a good protective now you know what it does. Not sure you can say it's a poor bluing job, bluing rusts fairly easily. The XD has the same finish as Glock I think, Tennifer. Way better than bluing.

Sold the XD. If I have to send it anyplace I'm not getting it re-blued, maybe something better. Right now I will hang on to like it is and see what happens.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
Takedown said:
Pyromike said:

I feel the same way. I'm not ready to be without it for the time it takes. Even if they reblue it, how much longer until it starts to rust again? Where can I get a blueing pen if I prefer to do it myself?

Takedown

Bearcat
I feel the same way. I'm not ready to be without it for the time it takes. Even if they reblue it, how much longer until it starts to rust again? Where can I get a blueing pen if I prefer to do it myself?

I picked up a Birchwood touch up pen at my local gun store. It's mostly for small nicks and scratches but this wasn't much bigger once I removed all the rust with a brush, only a few bare metal areas that needed covered.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I'd suggest you try a wax product, like Blue Wonder's Armadillo. It will provide better protection than any oil or grease.

Mike J

Hunter
AkRay said:
I'd suggest you try a wax product, like Blue Wonder's Armadillo. It will provide better protection than any oil or grease.

I have used Johnson's Paste Wax on a blued carry pistol. I haven't had a problem with it.

I've had my LC9 for 4 months without a problem (yet)..........

I am a little "anal" about keeping it wiped down, though.

Takedown

Bearcat
straightshooter9 said:
I've had my LC9 for 4 months without a problem (yet)..........

I am a little "anal" about keeping it wiped down, though.

I guess with all the other companies using Tennifer or Melonite or some other type of corrosion resistant coatings I was surprised to find out that Ruger is just using a basic bluing process on a firearm designed to be an everyday concealed carry gun.

I'm certainly no expert on these finishes but unfortunately they took the "cheap" route for the LC9 finish in order to keep costs down?

I would prefer the best finish available even if it cost a little more, especially since I live in FLORIDA with our humidity.

I would even like to do one of these "cool" looking camouflage or "OD" coatings but I really don't have enough confidence in myself to undertake something like that...I can just "visualize" what my LC9 would look like after I got through with it! :oops:

Phila PD

Bearcat
I have seen the start of rust in the same area on my LC-9 and it is definately from the salt in my sweat during hot days. The LC-9 needs a holster which covers all metal from contact with the skin.

Cholo

Staff member
Aren't there some spray on coatings that are pretty rust resistant? I'd check into it. I'd also keep the safety latch/internals well lubed. What you can't see can hurt you.

My guess is that Ruger will come out with a SS slide like they did on the LCP. Mine is blue, but if a SS was offered early on I'd have bought one.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
RobbyRotten said:
Phila PD said:
I have seen the start of rust in the same area on my LC-9 and it is definately from the salt in my sweat during hot days. The LC-9 needs a holster which covers all metal from contact with the skin.

+1 on the holster. BUT, get something that is a good rust/corrosion preventer and use it on the exterior surfaces.

Do you have any recommendations for us 'Northern Guys' who experience the same sweat and moisture problems? I'm always willing to try something until I find what works the best!

silverfox1

Bearcat
I have an LCP that I intend to carry, but after reading a number of posts about sides rusting, I became concerned. They say carrying in a leather holster contributes to the problem because they soak up moisture like a sponge. The LCP's manual even warns against storing the gun in a leather holster. I've sent my slide to, "Kentucky Gun Coatings", to have the slide Cerakoted, so I won't have to worry about rust when I get my Concealed Carry permit later this month. I'll be without it for a couple of weeks, but since I can't carry yet, it's no big deal. You might look into Cerakote. It's suppose to be the hardest, longest lasting of the coatings. Oh, and the cost, I'm paying $40 plus shipping costs.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
I'm starting to think about the 'Leather Holster' getting moisture. Does anyone recommend an IWB for the LC9 that isn't leather? I'm willing to look at other options.

I bought some Super QCG and it did remove most of the rust, but not all of it. During the summer I carry IWB against my skin (and sweat a lot). It's been getting cooler so I'm wearing a T-shirt tucked in, then the holster, then a sweatshirt or coat over it. Haven't been having the extreme problems I was while wearing it against my skin. This might be the best explanation I've heard so far.

I used to carry an SR9C in a Crossbreed Supertuck in Horsehide which is supposed to prevent the moisture and I never had this problem.

Again, I'm looking for options for IWB carry. I have been told that I'm a 'little large' around the middle so I take this into consideration! Maybe I need to order another Crossbreed?

Thanks for everyone's input.

ralphrotten

Bearcat
I recommend the crossbreed mini-tuck for the LC9. I have had the CB for my SW3913 for a few years, but just got the mini-tuck for my LC9. the leather is against my handles, while the kydex holds the gun...

digitalerik

Bearcat
Ouch. I am thinking about either paying to have my gun cerakoted, or parkarized, or something....

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
ralphrotten said:
I recommend the crossbreed mini-tuck for the LC9. I have had the CB for my SW3913 for a few years, but just got the mini-tuck for my LC9. the leather is against my handles, while the kydex holds the gun...

I second the CB mini-tuck, great combo.

Latest posts