A classic old load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
There is nothing like making your own bullets while everyone else is hunting for bullets where ever they can find them. I cast some #358156 HP's last week and today I loaded up some .357 Magnums. I even used some old large primer brass I have. This and 14.5 grains of 2400 should be more than enough for any whitetail deer I run across. If the snow ever melts here I will take these and the Model 27 out to see how they perform.

Picture1988_zpsb856440f.jpg

Nice looking rounds. You are correct, there's just something immensely satisfying about casting ones own bullets....even when there ARE plenty on the store shelves!

Rclark

Hunter
Nice.... I've going to have to turn my attention to casting. Looks 'interesting'. Plenty of bullets at Rimrock and others though :) . Now powder and primers are a different story! Don't shoot those jacketed thingys or gas checked.... so don't know about them!

TN.Frank

Bearcat
I use to cast quite a bit until I got into a Glock G30. Then I got a drop in barrel for it and cast for it then traded the G30 for a Glock G19 and with the price of wheel weights and my time and trouble I just said "heck with it" and didn't bother to get a drop in barrel for the G19. I simply order 1000 Berry's plated bullets for around $90 bucks and load em'.
Now that I'm into a Ruger P95 with "normal" rifling I guess if I really wanted to I could cast for it but until I run out of my plated bullets I'm not going to bother. Still, it IS nice knowing that it is an option. :wink:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I have moulds for the hollow point and solid in those 358156's. My favorite loads for .357 and hot 38's. They were one of Skeeter Skeltons favorites too.

8emem

Bearcat
Perfect crimp for magnum-strength loads. That's the way you do it!

mikld

Blackhawk
Taking some scrap, dirty, greasy lead and smelting it down and making clean ingots, then casting those ingots into prime, custom bullets, sized specifically for your gun is prolly the most satisfying aspect of roll-yer-own ammo!

Enigma

Hunter
mikld said:
Taking some scrap, dirty, greasy lead and smelting it down and making clean ingots, then casting those ingots into prime, custom bullets, sized specifically for your gun is prolly the most satisfying aspect of roll-yer-own ammo!

^^THIS^^