9mm powder for 115gr Hornady XTP bullet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
I'm going to start loading the 115gr XTP hollow point in my 9mm loads for pistol. (non carbine)

I have 4 powders to choose from: Bullseye, Accurate #2 and #5, and Unique.

Given my powder possibilities, which one will tend to burn the cleanest in 9mm with the 115gr pill?

Thanks much!

gster

Single-Sixer
I don't use any of those powders so I can't say how they work. When I started loading 9mm I used Titegroup and it works. All I use are 115g. jacketed round nose and XTPs in front of Titegroup.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
If you're loading up near the top of the chart, #2 will likely give you the cleanest results of the powders you listed. CFE Pistol is also a great choice if you find yourself in need of something else.

AA#7 is THE powder designed for 9x19. I use it almost exclusively(mainly cause I bought several 8# jugs when it was cheap).
Check the charges listed for the powders you have and see which one comes closest to filling the available powder space for the brass/bullet/seating depth you will use. This helps prevent bullet setback.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Bullseye and Unique tend to clean up a bit with heavy loads, but with a light 115 gr bullets I'd suggest AA #2.

So try loads with both #2 and #5 and see which you like best.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Of the powders you listed A2 would be cleanest but my personal choice for 9 mm is TiteGroup. When I've been using it for all my reloading needs.