!994/95 Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DanManRn

Bearcat
I have a chance to purchase a SS Mini 14 made in the 1994/95 year time line. Please advise what I should look fore, and any good/bad you can think of about this manufacturing years. It has been well maintained, fired less than 300 rounds, and appears to be in perfect working order. I am unable to take any pics (sorry). So what say you?

Thank You!
Dan

DGW1949

Hunter
Stuff to look for:
Gas bloc not canted.
Front sight not canted.
Visualy inspect all the fasteners for slot or hex-hole damage.
Test for stripped or partialy stripped threads in the gas block or it's four screws.
Excessively deep impressions in the wood where the reciever sits down and where the trigger guard sits.
Too much "slop" where the action sits down into the reciever.
Insure that it takes a fair amount of force to latch the trigger guard into place.
Check the movement of the safety, that it has distinct detents, and that it actualy works.
Insure that the trigger can not cause the hammer to fall unless the bolt is in battery.
Check the bore and muzzel condition closely.
The oprod should move smoothly.
Insure that the op rod can not be made to jump it's track with the rifle assembled.
The op rod should lock back with an empty mag installed.
Look for damaged areas at the scope-mounting points of the reciever.

Personal quirks of mine which may not apply to you:
I don't pay extra for aftermarket add-on's or non-factory mags.
I'll quickly reject a gun that shows signs of table top gunsmithing, especialy if that includes any type of "action work" or having had a "trigger job" done. The only exception to that would be if the seller can provide evidence that the work was done by a professional...and that is assuming that I'd have wanted it done in the first place.
All of Ruger's Ranch Rifles were sold with the appropriate scope rings (and have always been priced accordingly). If the gun I'm interested in don't have them, I use that as a bargaining point. Reason is, they are pricey and Ruger only sells them seperately...not in pairs.

Hope this has helped.

DGW

eveled

Hawkeye
Nicely done DWG, your post should be a stickie, IMHO. Ed.

Razor

Bearcat
Great post DGW!

I'm not really up on used Mini14 prices, but $700-750 sounds a bit high to me.
What will it come with?

DanManRn

Bearcat
With the rifle comes 2- 30rd aftermarket mags, 1- factory 5rd Ruger mag, 200 rds Wolf 55gr ammo, 1- vintage M1 Garand web sling. The factory wood stock is in almost perfect condition, rifle looks as clean as just from the factory. I did buy it.

Thanks all for the good info and advise!
Dan

DGW1949

Hunter
Unless your new Mini has had aftermarket swivels installed, that M1 sling is 1/4" too wide.
IF that is the case, and IF you'd like to sell it, and IF it is a genuine USGI COTTON sling, and IF it still has all of it's hardware, and IF it has not been cut nor altered.....drop me a PM.

Thanks....and congrats on your new rifle.

DGW

DDDWho

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
All of Ruger's Ranch Rifles were sold with the appropriate scope rings (and have always been priced accordingly). If the gun I'm interested in don't have them, I use that as a bargaining point. Reason is, they are pricey and Ruger only sells them seperately...not in pairs.

DGW

For reasons to hard to explain I needed a set of rings for my Ranch Rifle. I have the originals but they seem to be permanently attached to a scope I do not use. On ebay I found a set (2) of stainless listed at what seemed to be a reasonable price and few bids. I won the set for $23 and change shipped.

I really like the look of the stainless rings on my blued rifle. It gives a nice contrast and makes the rifle and scope look like "equipment". If you're willing to accept something a little different you don't have to pay $70 for a set of rings.
DSC02233_zps6d3047f1.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
Me myself, I haven't bought a set of scope rings in probably 15 years. I just don't use 'em much.
Yep.....used stuff is cheaper.

Nice rifle you got there, and I realy like that sling.....a lot.

DGW

DDDWho

Bearcat
The sling is Amish made I bought it off ebay, about $20 (Conway buckle and Chicago screws are nice). I had to have a few more holes punched in it to shorten it enough for the Mini. The stock provided on this 582 had a cushion butt pad, the LOP did not suite me. A guy on another forum gave me the as new stock for shipping charges. It is shown with plastic butt plate. That stock fits me better and does not hang up on my clothing when shouldering the weapon.

After 2 years of trying different optics and the stock situation I think I have this Mini where I want it.

DanManRn said:
With the rifle comes 2- 30rd aftermarket mags, 1- factory 5rd Ruger mag, 200 rds Wolf 55gr ammo, 1- vintage M1 Garand web sling. The factory wood stock is in almost perfect condition, rifle looks as clean as just from the factory. I did buy it.

Dan

I don't think the aftermarket add ons are worth anything... and for the price you quoted I would seriously look at a new mini-ranch.... much more accurate than the old A-team version.

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
DanManRn said:

Dan

I don't think the aftermarket add ons are worth anything... and for the price you quoted I would seriously look at a new mini-ranch.... much more accurate than the old A-team version.

I agree with you on the aftermarket mags and Wolf ammo.
On the other hand, perhaps you haven't noticed that Ruger no longer offers a stainless 'n wood Mini-14.
What that tells me is;
We can expect asking prices to go up on the used guns that have already been produced.
If one wants a new 580-something series stainless/wood Ranch Rifle, the only way to get it is to buy the plastic version, buy a replacement wood stock, and fit it to the newer gun....$$ cha-ching, cha-ching $$.

DGW

Latest posts