Mini-14 brass sidewall damage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

amishjeff

Bearcat
Was shooting my Mini today and found 9 out of the 30 ejected brass damaged in the sidewall. I have never come across something like this before and was wondering if others had some insight into the issue. I was shooting ammo head-stamped "L C .223 rem". Lake city cartridge but I cannot remember the reseller brand.

Attachments

• 223 dent.jpg
    223 dent.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 223dent.jpg
    223dent.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 223 brass top.jpg
    223 brass top.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 33

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
The Mini 14 is one of the winners of the longest ' Brass Chucking Distance' out there..... It makes no qualms of ejecting spent brass....

My guess is that Lake City ammo is pretty hot and that's just how a Mini deals with it....

Unless you are a reloader.... I wouldn't worry about it.....

( If you do reload, I would use a lighter load )

crstrode

Single-Sixer
Happens to me frequently. The Mini-14 that does this is 45 years old, and has been denting brass for as long as I can remember. The dents are no big deal to me since re-sizing brings the brass back into fine shape.

MZ5

Bearcat
Mine dents most every case mouth it ejects. Some of the bodies are dented, too. I get far fewer body dents since I put a smaller gas port bushing in (reduced gas to the operating system). It still dents most case mouths, though.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
My AR's don't dent my brass.... and they all fall in a nice little pile on the ground next to my bench....

My Mini-14.... ( esp my 1985 mod )...... I have to start a search party and scour the ground in a 50 ft circle to find them all

Enigma

Hunter
Gas guns of that pattern typically dent the ejected brass because they bounce it off the operating rod handle when it ejects. M1As and Garands are both notorious for this, and it doesn't hurt a thing.

Latest posts