45Colt/ 45acp redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom W

Blackhawk
I haven't read much more on the Redhawk 45 Colt / 45 acp. Did they improve or did people just get rid of the ones that they didn't like? I still have a strange desire to buy one, and there aren't any used ones for sale around here.....

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They are just not news anymore so you don't see many posts about them. I bought one of the ones from the first run or possibly early in the second. I like mine and will be keeping it.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I bought one last summer. I wanted to be able to shoot 45 colt. Since I have and reload for a 1911 I thought it would be a good gun to have. It shoots ACP pretty good. No problem hitting water bottle on the 25 yard berm. I didn't like the round butt on it. No good grips made for it yet. The trigger guard beat my knuckle after about 6 rounds. I put it back and only shot a few once in awhile. Some people claimed the Pachmayr Presentation grip worked pretty good and some said not so good. So I gave it a try and ordered one a couple weeks ago. I found the seams of the halves left a little gap. Otherwise it fit the grip handle pretty good. So I found that when you put a half on it teeter tottered in the middle. So I took the dremmel and some sandpaper and took some out of the inside of the grips until they fit good. They look like they were made for it. Yesterday I got to take it out and test it. I put some stout loads in it that I was shooting in the Alaskan and it worked great. It will be one of my main range guns and will handle my 300 grain bear loads. Now I really like it. I did ream the throats so the lead I was shooting didn't lead the barrel. I load 255 and 300 grain .453 bullets for my Alaskan and work good in it. It is a nice heavy gun and balances really good to me.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Ok, I'll start at the beginning. I ordered one last year, received it in June. It showed up with a broken rear sight blade. The broken part wasn't in the bag/box, and the shipping box was undamaged. It was clearly broken before it was boxed up.

I called and Ruger put a sight blade in the mail. In the meantime, I dry fired it a lot. It soon developed trigger problems. The trigger dragged on the return, then got to the point that I had to push it forward. It also "locked up", the trigger came part way back and stopped. Open the cylinder, it unlocked.

Sent it back; they refitted the trigger assembly to the frame. The trigger return/lock problems were gone, but now I had light primer strikes. Sent it back again, was told it was irreparable (excessive headspace and shallow firing pin channel) and they offered a replacement. I accepted.

When the new one arrived, I took it shooting. Worked fine. When I tried to take it apart, the trigger guard plunger wouldn't budge. I was unable to take it down. Called Ruger, they said ship it back, and that they would reimburse me (also said they'd reimburse me for the transfer fee for the replacement gun). I sent it back, and about two weeks later it showed up. Trigger plunger still wouldn't budge.

I looked online and found that others had seen the same problem; they grabbed the plunger with a pair of needle nose pliers and then hit the pliers with a hammer to get it out. I tried it, and it worked. I discovered that when I put the trigger guard back on the frame, the plunger went in and out pretty easily. I noticed that after some dry fire, it was tight again. I also noticed that the line where the trigger guard assembly meets the frame had widened slightly; so, I tapped the bottom of the trigger guard with a nylon mallet, and the pin again moved fairly freely. I can live with tapping the trigger guard back in each time I take the gun down, not that big of a deal.

Both guns shot well (when they shot); I really like the flexibility of being able to shoot different kinds of ammo from the same gun.

As to grips - the original grips just plain hurt when I fire it. The upper left corner of the grip drives right into the bone on the 2nd joint of my thumb. 2 or 3 cylinders and it was pretty uncomfortable. As mentioned above, there aren't any grips made for this round butt gun. So, I bought a pair of Pachmyer Presentation grips made for a "regular" Redhawk. They fit the gun fine, but were a bit large for my hands. I then got a pair of Pachmyer Grippers; they also fit the gun well, and fit my hands very well. I REALLY like shooting this gun with them on it. I can put a lot of rounds through it without any discomfort.

I think I've finally got this gun where I want it; it took a while and several trips to the factory, but I'm at a good place with it.

Still waiting for reimbursement for the shipping and transfer fee...

If you're looking for a pair of Pachmyer Presentation Grips at a good, shoot me a PM.

tinman

Buckeye
I like mine a lot. Shoots great, but that round butt will bite. I too am waiting on grips to make it even better.

Tom W

Blackhawk
With my cancer almost in check ( I have four more chemo sessions ) I'm wanting to get back to shooting more than once every six months. Having shot my Blackhawk loose and trading it off, plus going through a bunch of other handguns, I still have a bunch of Ruger only loads for the .45 Colt. As well as a heap of .45 acp loads. Soooooo, I can get a Smith and break down most of my loads but I'd still be left with 500 or so rounds for the .45acp. I've resigned myself to no more hunting, and if I do I still have a few firearms I can take, but the stamina isn't here. At least not yet. Maybe when I finish chemo I'll improve. Im hoping the moon clips won't give me fits....

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Tom W said:
Im hoping the moon clips won't give me fits....

The moon clips that come with the Redhawk will NOT give you fits. They are actually easier to load an unload than any I've ever seen before. You can do it by hand, no tools or even gloves needed.

nn

Single-Sixer
Only caution with the moonclips for me was, I dropped a loaded clip on the floor and it bent, after several tries I did bend it straight again.
So, try not to drop them on a hard surface.

Tom W

Blackhawk
My buddy found a buyer for my #1, so when I feel good enough to go to my son's house I'll pick it and a few more toys up I'll call him. I really hate to sell it though, but I'm not sure I can handle the weight of rifles anymore. Right now I get worn out unloading and loading the dishwasher.

Tom W

Blackhawk
Last Monday I helped my wife at the school where she works with the promise of a trip to the LGS afterwards. That big Smith model 25- whatever can come home with me for about $200 less than the new Ruger. This Smith doesn't look to be very old, the "dash" is comparable to a nib Smith for $100 more , plus tax. The slightly used one is an OTD price, plus a $10 transfer fee to get it to Alabama. Not one to get very excited about Smiths until I got my model 19 I noticed that this new ( and the used one) didn't have the firing pin on the hammer. It looks like a transfer bar system. I'll probably walk out with the Smith.... unless some changes my mind again....

Tom W

Blackhawk
.45 Colt. I have a lot of Ruger only loads that I'll have to disassemble unless my buddy wants to shoot them.. I know the Smith isn't designed for the Ruger loads, but I would like to try the RCBS -270 SAA bullet with it. That shot wonders with my Ruger that I had.

sunfish

Bearcat
I have shot around 200 rounds in mine and it's pretty much a keeper. I took it apart and had the trigger guard latch issue. The main spring assembly had a slot in it for that but was not suitable for tapping on it. I took a pair of needle nose pliers that had a diagonal cutter in the rear and ground a small football shaped place out that when closed it holds the latch behind the stop perfect. A couple taps with a small brass hammer got it loose. I'm going to order a trigger spring kit from Wolff and see if I can improve the pull a little and still have reliable ignition

Valmet

Single-Sixer
I really want Ruger to do a run of these with a blue finish as I'm just not a fan of stainless guns. Unlikely, but fingers x'd that Lipsey's or Davidsons will order some.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
My first one was junk.

I Sent it back to Ruger, the last scan was at there door. From there no one knows where it went. They made me report it as stolen before they would send me a new one.

Took a little bit But Ruger did the right thing and sent me a new one.
And it's awesome. Might even have been a hand picked, It is perfect.

The only thing I don't care for is the grip. Going to try a wrap of some sort, or a inner tube cut to fit.

Only have a couple hundred round down the pipe but its dead on at 15 yards.

Moon clips are great. This is one of my dream guns.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I wonder if Starline's new . 45 Colt short brass will work.....not that I need any as I have a gazillion .45 acp cases ready to load.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
.45 short will work but WHY would anyone want to ??? .45 Colt can be loaded mild to wild and will be more accurate in the Ruger than either the short .45 or the ACP.
Being able to fire ACP's is a plus for those like me who stock them by the thousands .

Tom W

Blackhawk
Some people don't have a lifetime supply of acp brass. I doubt I'll buy any unless I trade around and get a S&W model 25...... just because.....