.45acp primers OH-OH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BadMatrix

Bearcat
I am reloading .45acp. It calls for WLP. The 45acp cases looked like small flash holes. I was right.
The WLP would not fit.
Now what?

Johnnu2

Hunter
AND.... you can utilize small RIFLE primers in that case as well..... I recently read that in one of the gun mags about a month ago; I believe it was Handloader....

J.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I am reloading .45acp. It calls for WLP. The 45acp cases looked like small flash holes. I was right.
The WLP would not fit.
Now what?
Federal went to small primers out of the blue in some 45 acp offerings, particularly self defense nickle cased ammo several years ago, no doubt to save a little $ off of the cost of their components. No heads up to us that I ever heard of, thanks a lot Federal. I crushed my primer seating tool thinking it was just a tight primer pocket & it took me a little bit to figure out what the deal was. I can't stand this type of brass, it screws up my routine. I went one by one to weed out the offenders that had become mixed in with my normal large primer pocket cased stock pile (which took hours). I took them all out & discarded them, I don't want the hassle. Now whenever I pick up brass left by others, I check each one. I chuck the small primered ones.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
The small primer used was not lead based and ws intended to reduce lead in the air on indoor ranges. Blazer ammo also used a fully plated bullets so the lead would not be vaporized off the bullet base. CCI and Winchester both made this "non-toxic" ammo, IIRC the primer on the Win ammunition even has a tiny NT stamped in it. I have shot the SPP brass with standard SPP primers and it reloaded and shot fine. Supposedly the priming mixture did not work well in LPP or perhaps it was easier to only make one size primer.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
And be advised that more than one brand of .45 ACP brass has small pistol primer pockets. It's something to look out for when reloading, especially when reloading on a progressive press.

I save the SPP .45 ACP cases for a rainy day.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I grabbed many thousands of small primer .45ACP in the early years when everyone was throwing them away. I just asked and they gave. I must have several thousand. I reload with the same RCBS Jr. single stage press that I bought in the early 70's so there is no chance of me getting into trouble with primer seating (I just have to keep awake to finish off a single box of 50)...

J.

Rclark

Hunter
...everyone was throwing them away
Well, that was me for one. Still won't save any of the non-standard cases if ever run across them :) . I still say they should have left the case alone with the large primers that they always came with from day 1. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation :) .

NikA

Buckeye
If we went with the "as it was, so it shall always be" logic, .357 would still use large primers. .45 ACP is not a particularly large volume case and small primers with modern manufacturing techniques are providing ample if not better performance than large primers.

Sort the brass by primer size and/or headstamp and move on to something more important.

BadMatrix

Bearcat
↑ That was the Georgia State flag for most of my life, 1956 until 2001. I've had that 3x5 canvas flag on the wall above my bed for 30 years or more.

A very Happy New Year to you, too, BadMatrix!
Hey, We are nearly the same age. I didn't think people lived this long!

1956-2001! I suppose they got rid of that flag for a reason.

I hear that it might be offensive to some marginalized groups of people--I don't know.

I love history! I looked for the current Georgia State Flag. A little less catchy, so boring without the provocative eye-catching statement, doncha think?

Attachments

• 6954CF27-10EE-466F-ACC2-7D8110FC62D8.jpeg
    6954CF27-10EE-466F-ACC2-7D8110FC62D8.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: