45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
cadillo said:
I'm more concerned with folks whose spelling and punctuation are so bad, that their meaning often cannot be construed. A lot of the posts here and the other forums are not clearly understandable, and so we worry about the validity of colloquial terms?

"folks whose spelling and punctuation are so bad, that their meaning often cannot be construed" ya say?.....hey, that sounds like me. :lol: .

Oh, BTW.....ya left out a couple of words while framing your last question. There should be a "why" and a "do" between "so" and "we".....unless of course, you were making a statement instead of asking a question, in which case, ya didn't need the question-mark. A period woulda done fine....
Just sayin'.

Still though, I think that I got your meaning....meaning that I'm perty-sure that you're sayin' that considering all of the bad grammer 'n spelling around here, you figure that we got bigger fish to fry before we start worrying over what to call this or that cartridge.......
That about cover it?

DGW

REP1954

Blackhawk
How about the time you went to the hardware and asked the greeting person where the yard sticks were and the greeting person led you to the meter sticks.

5of7

Hunter
Yeah, "boolits" has a little bit of gag factor for me too. But I've never seen or heard it used anywhere except on these internet gun forums. I wonder why that is. :?:

They can call their bullets anything they like, but one of their number supplies me with the best cast bullets I have ever loaded.

Sized to the diameter I want, the alloy that I like and as hard or as soft as I want them.

They always produce good groups and with no leading problems at all.

They can call them dromedaries if they want to.... 8)

Enigma wrote:

REP1954 wrote:

And I thought the 454 Casull was the 45 Long Colt! :mrgreen:

But then what would the .460 S&W be? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But of course it would be the 454 Long Casull.

Sorry gentlemen, but, due to the 460 S&W's obvious superiority it will remain the 460 S&W.
The 454 Casull will be renamed the 460 S&W Short! :lol:

MaxP said:
hdxr750 said:
How many of you are troubled when some say's 45 Long Colt instead of 45 Colt?

With all of the problems in this world we are currently experiencing, how can anyone find this troubling??

I call it a .45 Colt.......

I grew up with Long Colt but I don't sweat it either way. I'm too old for something that small to bother me. :D

eveled

Hawkeye
Makes me wonder why shotgun shells use the chamber length. 2-3/4, and 3 inch for 12 ga. Why isn't it 12ga short, and 12ga long?

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
Makes me wonder why shotgun shells use the chamber length. 2-3/4, and 3 inch for 12 ga. Why isn't it 12ga short, and 12ga long?

Hmm, that's pretty good question. It's been a long time, but it seems like when I was growing up in prime duck and goose hunting country, we use to refer to 3 inch 12 gauges as 3 inch "magnums."
However, from what I understand, there are 3-1/2 inch 12 gauges now. So what are they called - 12 gauge "extra longs," or maybe 12 gauge "super magnums?" :?:
Just askin'. :)

jbntx

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
jbntx said:
Yea, I know what you mean. There's no such caliber as a 45 Long Colt.

So I guess all my boxes of factory ammo (various manufacturers) labeled ".45 Long Colt" don't exist?

They exist, but they're labeled wrong.
Send them back for a refund.

5of7

Hunter
jbntx said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
jbntx said:

So I guess all my boxes of factory ammo (various manufacturers) labeled ".45 Long Colt" don't exist?

:roll:
No! Keep them as collectors pieces.... :roll:

Kanook

Buckeye
jbntx said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
jbntx said:

jbntx said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
jbntx said:

So the firearms marked 45LC are marked wrong and we should send them back also?

Rclark

Hunter
It's funny how this gets out of hand :p . We should all know by now that the cartridge is the ".45 Colt". The alias for it is .45 Long Colt which was thought up way back when due to the shorter cartridges of the same caliber. Since the masses still cling to the 'Long', marketing of ammo and guns will sometimes will still use the LC designation. Hey, ya have to do what you have to do to sell your product :) . Since the conflict between long and short no longer exists, it should be the .45 Colt and .45 Schofield, etc. in today's world. But <sigh> it isn't, so we just roll with it. I will call it the .45 Colt, and others will say .45 Long Colt. We'll still get along and be able to communicate :) .

Kanook

Buckeye
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/523346000/523346302/pix312753183.jpg

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I'm one that uses the designation Long Colt as that's what I grew up calling them when I was a kid working in a gun shop. If someone came in and asked for Colt .45 ammo it was implied that he was looking for .45 ACP but I would ask if it was for an automatic or revolver, which would turn into a brief educational experience when they asked Do they make a .45 Revolver? And not to muddy the waters even further we wouldn't mention moon clipped 1917s
The buying public may not have been as educated back then but that is when .45 Colt was a dying caliber. Thanks to the Taurus Judge it's back in vogue. Now I'll go get my Redhawk in .45 Long Colt out and go sit in the deer stand.

winchester348 said:
I'm one that uses the designation Long Colt as that's what I grew up calling them when I was a kid working in a gun shop. If someone came in and asked for Colt .45 ammo it was implied that he was looking for .45 ACP but I would ask if it was for an automatic or revolver, which would turn into a brief educational experience when they asked Do they make a .45 Revolver? And not to muddy the waters even further we wouldn't mention moon clipped 1917s
The buying public may not have been as educated back then but that is when .45 Colt was a dying caliber. Thanks to the Taurus Judge it's back in vogue. Now I'll go get my Redhawk in .45 Long Colt out and go sit in the deer stand.

Pardon me, but the Judge did not bring it back "in vogue". It's resurgence, if it really did resurge as opposed to just always being popular started way before the Judge was a gleam in its designers eye.

Besides, if that grand ole cartridge could talk it would probably lament ever being chambered in the Judge.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Jeepnik said:
winchester348 said:

Pardon me, but the Judge did not bring it back "in vogue". It's resurgence, if it really did resurge as opposed to just always being popular started way before the Judge was a gleam in its designers eye.

Besides, if that grand ole cartridge could talk it would probably lament ever being chambered in the Judge.

And the S&W Governor, which also accepts .45 ACP, .45AR, .45Auto :?