45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
I use 45 Long Colt frequently. especially around the younger black gun crowd who would think 45 Colt meant something in 45acp.

MaxP

Buckeye
hdxr750 said:
How many of you are troubled when some say's 45 Long Colt instead of 45 Colt?

With all of the problems in this world we are currently experiencing, how can anyone find this troubling??

I call it a .45 Colt.......

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I use "45 Long Colt" because that is what I grew up hearing and that has been a lot of mango seasons. I also must confess that I have often used it because I get a sort of perverse kick out of knotting the knickers of those purist who object to it.

And the exact same reasons stand for my use of "clip"

5of7

Hunter
"Sunrise" is a misnomer because the sun does not rise, the Earth merely rotates to make it appear that it rises.

"Colder" is a misnomer because there is no such thing as cold, but only an absent of heat.

There are hundreds of misnomers in common use that no one seems to be bothered by, so why would anyone get bothered by the use of the term Long Colt? 8)

schloss

Single-Sixer
It doesn't bother me at all anymore. Mostly because I don't let it. Way more important things to put my energy into right now.

Also keep in mind that my wife still refers to uniforms as "outfits". Now that one DOES bother me.

Out of a desire to refrain from upsetting Rclark I no longer employ the dreaded "Long" appellation here on the website.

Everywhere else, no problem.

:wink: :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

REP1954

Blackhawk
Enigma said:
REP1954 said:
And I thought the 454 Casull was the 45 Long Colt! :mrgreen:

But then what would the .460 S&W be? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But of course it would be the 454 Long Casull.

I asked my wife who knows nothing of guns or ammo. She says which one is the longest? The longest one is the 45 Long Colt.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
My wife chewed me out for sounding "blustery" and embarrassing her know little, but nice guy, brother. I don't think it was my fault. One minute her brother was talking about types of beer and the micro- brewery not far from his house in San Diego, and the next thing I knew, he was asking me about handgun ammunition. I'm not kidding. :roll:
John, his wife Cathy, my wife and I had been sitting around the table, visiting. The conversation turned to types of beer and the new micro-brewery not far from John and Cathy's house. That's when John asked me if "Colt 45" could still be found up here in Idaho. I kind of stumbled when I told him; "Yeah, I think so. I never liked it very much though, so I'm not sure." John gave me a kind of puzzled look and said; "I was just wonderin. My boss has a Colt 45, and he told me he can't find bullets for it anywhere down here [in San Diego]"
According to my wife, I sounded "blustery" when I calmly said; "Oh, you mean 45 Colt. I thought you were talking about malt liquor."
I still don't think it was my fault that my wife's brother got all red faced because he made a 90 degree turn off the topic of conversation and I didn't follow. But maybe it was – maybe I drank too much 45 Colt in my younger years. :mrgreen:

Because it wouldn't be .45 Colt.

.357 Magnum isn't ".38 Special Magnum".

.44 Magnum isn't ".44 Special Magnum".

There is a .45 Winchester Magnum, but it's an auto-pistol thing.

:mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

tinman

Buckeye
If I ever take a test where that is a question I'm sure I can come up with the "correct" answer.......which is gonna be the same as is found in the textbook/study guide.
But as long as they hand me the correct caliber for the gun I intend to use them in......I don't really care.

tinman

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
What can really confuse the issue is when the Colt company calls the ammo .45 Long Colt. :D

Seeing as the folks at Colt invented it....I do believe that pretty much settles the argument......... .45 LC it is. 8)

REP1954 said:
Enigma said:
REP1954 said:
And I thought the 454 Casull was the 45 Long Colt! :mrgreen:

But then what would the .460 S&W be? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But of course it would be the 454 Long Casull.

I asked my wife who knows nothing of guns or ammo. She says which one is the longest? The longest one is the 45 Long Colt.

Unless, of course you're shooting .454 or .460