45 Colt, Unique, and XTPs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bigshot270

Bearcat
I have a Bisley Blackhawk in 45C and a Rossi Model 92 lever action w/24" barrel. I looking for a good recipe for deer. I have tons of 250g XTP bullets, Unique and Titegroup powder. Im thinking maybe 9g Unique, but cant find any data. What will it take to get the XTPs to expand well enough to take down a deer?

Bigshot270

Bearcat
Really just one load for both. Or I can load whatever works best in each. I will be hunting with the Rossi. I have been told that the Rossi 92s can handle the Ruger loads without a problem. Just looking for the best fps for the XTP bullets to expand properly. Id say around 1000fps.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
A "Ruger Only" load with WW296 is one of the better combination carbine/pistol top end loads with that bullet I have found, although AA#9 isn't bad either. That is if you want RO level loads (32Kpsi). You can drive the Hornady XTP well over 1000fps with WW296 in the revolver with that powder, and significantly higher in the carbine. If you want to keep them on the mild side, then there are many possible combinations that will work, including Unique as a powder option. But it would not be even near my first choice.

Brian Pearce did an excellent article in Handloader #275 in 45 Colt loads for the "midframe" Ruger Blackhawks (the newer flattops) with loads to the 23Kpsi level. That is only a midrange level load, not top end RO loads. I have found that Power Pistol is one of the best powders for accuracy for 45 Colt in this power range. 11.0gr of Power Pistol will give around 1050fps in the revolver, as will 18.5gr of AA#9. I would estimate the carbine around 1200+fps with those loads. Like me, Pearce rarely seems to find much favor with Unique, although he sometimes lists a few loads. There are only 2 listed in this article, and they both seem almost a historical artifact afterthought considering the specific bullets used.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What I have read is that XTPs are designed to expand properly at pistol caliber velocities. That would be for me 800 - 1200fps or there abouts. Your load of 9.0gr of Unique would put you in that range and should work even better out of a rifle.

The Alliant website http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx Has a load for hard cast lead at 9.5gr Unique for 941fps out of a 5.5" barrel.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Bigshot270 said:
I have a Bisley Blackhawk in 45C and a Rossi Model 92 lever action w/24" barrel. I looking for a good recipe for deer. I have tons of 250g XTP bullets, Unique and Titegroup powder. Im thinking maybe 9g Unique, but cant find any data. What will it take to get the XTPs to expand well enough to take down a deer?

Here's a list of XTP bullets and the recommended velocity ranges

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/catalog/2009/19-22_bullets_handgun.pdf

The 92 has a 30 inch twist. I think a 45 cal XTP will be "stubby" enough to stabilize at modest velocities. Mine is in 357 and the heavier bullets are longish, so they have to be driven hard to stabilize. I'd research that aspect, too.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm with CDF in that 8.5-9.0 Unique and a 250 bullet will get you where you want to be.....Especialy out of a rifle. 10 would be a bonus, and is certainly still safe in the Rossi '92 action.

All that said though, I wouldn't worry too much about expansion with a 45LC bullet. Mostly I'd worry about developing an accurate load so's I could hit the right spot.

DGW

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I asked Hornady that question a couple of months ago. Their reply was "they will reliably expand at 900+".

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
Here is what I have found to be a GOOD load that I shoot out of my Henry 45 Colt Lever gun.

8.6 gr Power Pistol

For my Blackhawk in 45 Colt I shoot 250 gr RNFP with good results.

6.0 Titegroup

8) :lol:

KKG

Bearcat
I've found that the Winchester Powders of WW-296(Hunting/Defense Loads) and WW-231(Target Loads) work very well. And, I use Magnum Primers for all my loading.