45 Colt Loads with Hodgdon Universal Powder, Need Recipes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

catmath 1911

Bearcat
Anyone running Universal powder in their 45 colt rugers (blackhawks, redhawks)? If so please post the Loads you are running, gun, and Chronograph data if able.

Many Thanks,
Andy

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
What bullet & use do you plan? I've used Universal, Unique, & win-296 for my 45 colt loads with the RH & BH. I do have a few upper end win-296 loads with 265 grn Cast Performance bullets, the rest are in the easily handled mid range.

The Hodgdon web site has data. A few back issues of Handloader magazine listed several pressure levels of 45 colt reloads, mild up to 'Ruger Only'. The gravely Unique fits fine in the 45 Colt case, though I tend to use more H Universal.

Rclark

Hunter
5 1/2" Barrel BH

Standard Loads :

8.5g Universal Clays, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 1013fps, 19 SD, 55 ES, 9 shots

8.0g Universal Clays, 250g RNFP, CCI-300, 894fps, 13 SD, 44 ES, 13 shots

Ziptar

Bearcat
After hearing about swapping Universal for Unique 1:1 and that universal is cleaner I bought a pound and worked up some loads.

I found that swapping them grain for grain was both safe and delivered consistent results. It doesn't seem to me that universal is much if at all less sootier than Unique but I do find it a little easier to live with when it comes to metering.

Not in a Ruger yet, I load all of these for my Marlin 1894 currently. Recoil in that isn't much more than a .22. Any would be suitable for a Ruger though.

Mild: (powder puff actually) load try: 7.5g Universal and 200g RNFP
Standard / Medium: 8.5gr Universal and 255gr RNFP
Husky Size: (too big to be a medium but, too small to count as heavy): 10gr Universal and 45-270-SAA (mine cast at ~285gr)

Rclark

Hunter
How's the recoil on the 8.5 gr load?
For 'me', it is a shoot all day load. It isn't mild, but it also isn't at the 'sting/numb' the hand recoil level either. All relative to the person shooting it!

catmath 1911

Bearcat
I appreciate all the info. I am planning on reloading with a Lee Classic Loader to get started, then Move up to Press etc as my need for larger volumes of ammo dictates. I have purchased :

45 colt classic loader
Case length guage/trimmer/Lock Nut
Lee Zip it
primer pocket cleaner
Lee Hand primer
Lee's Manual
Set of Lee Dippers
MTM Mini Digital scale

Using the Manual and the slide chart that came with the dippers, I can load 9.1 grains of Universal with the 1.00cc scoop (I measured and weighed, got 9.2 grains)

Would 9.2 grains of Universal behind a 255 grain Lead SWC be too hot of a load for a Ruger Blackhawk? I have a Box of Buffalo Bore Keith style cartridges (255 grain SWC at 1100 FPS) and these are pleasant enough to shoot. Also seem they would do most of what is asked of a 45 Colt

Andy

Rclark

Hunter
Would 9.2 grains of Universal behind a 255 grain Lead SWC be too hot of a load for a Ruger Blackhawk?
It will be fine in a BH. A bit over SAMMI, but not much.

and these are pleasant enough to shoot.
Again, you'll have to be the judge of that! Oh, I see you are fine with that :) .... So the Unique load shouldn't be a problem for you, recoil wise.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I shoot 10 grains of Universal under a 250 grain LRNFP bullet. Velocity is 1086 fps out of a 4 inch Redhawk.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Missouri Bullet Elmer K 255g SWC
Hodgdon Universal 8.5g
Federal primers
1.610 OAL

Low end of "Ruger Only" load, I've shot in my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk and S&W 460V with good results.

Remember these and most all stated above are "RUGER ONLY" loads. Don't give them to anyone shooting any other 45LC chambered weapons.
Sal