41mag Ruger Redhawk ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GAR

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an idea as to how many of the 5 1/2" 41 mag Redhawks were ever built?
Have the opportunity to pick one up.

Tom

bigheaddaddy

Single-Sixer
I don't know how many were made, but I have one in blue and one in stainless. Both are great shooters, and they ain't getting any cheaper.

If the price is right, I'd encourage you to pick it up.

I've got the 5.5" in stainless. One of my favorite DA's. I really liked the feel of the factory grips when I bought it and started out by dry firing it a few hundred times. Or more. But then when I actually put some .41 Magnums through it... my thumb was bleeding when I went into the house. Just kept smacking me right at the base of the thumb. Abrasion multiple times = blood.

So I put a $200 pair of German grips on them. They look better and sure feel better under recoil.

I know it is a dead horse around here.... but the only thing wrong with the original Redhawk is that Ruger never changed the gripframe over to a mounting stud like the Super Redhawk. Then we would have an infinite greater variety of grip sizes and styles to pick from.

Gregg

427mach1

Blackhawk
GAR,

What is the asking price? I paid $650 for mine about a year ago and love it. I probably shoot it better than I do any of my other handguns. It helps if you handload, as ammunition can be hard to find. It can be loaded from mild to wild and will take care of most critters you might encounter in the lower 48.

41magnumredhawk3.jpg

hittman

Staff member
tulsamal said:
the only thing wrong with the original Redhawk is that Ruger never changed the gripframe over to a mounting stud like the Super Redhawk.

The grip frame NOT being changed to that funky "post" is one of the great things about the Redhawk.

I too have a couple in 5.5" ~ sweet shooters.

The grip frame NOT being changed to that funky "post" is one of the great things about the Redhawk.

I guess we can agree to disagree! You must have huge hands since you even have a grip adaptor on one of those. IMO... the original grip frame is just too big for a lot of people. No matter how small you make the grips, you can't go smaller than the metal. If you go all the way down to exposed metal on both sides (like the factory grips) then you will probably end up bleeding with Magnum loads. But if you cover the metal up for increased grip and comfort, the grips end up too big for Joe Average.

I can't see how the "post" is a bad thing for anybody. You can still mount the biggest grips you can find on it. Grips that were designed and marketed for the GP and the SRH. But people with average hands get a lot more flexibility on what grips will fit. Just from the standpoint of quantity of options, the post wins by a large margin. There aren't that many factory options for the standard Redhawk. If we could utilize all the GP and SRH grips... wow, lots more to pick from.

I know its "ugly and non-traditional" when you remove the grips and see that post. But I don't leave my guns lying around with the grips off!

Gregg

jeff1122

Bearcat
Nice to see others in favor of this gun. I have two in stainless with consecutive serial numbers and love them. Now if I could just figure out how to carry them both at the same time!

jaguar88xj6

Bearcat
jeff1122 said:
Nice to see others in favor of this gun. I have two in stainless with consecutive serial numbers and love them. Now if I could just figure out how to carry them both at the same time!
Hire a caddy.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I have 2 stainless with 7 1/2" barrels. Both are shooters. The factory grip is a little small for my liking but I've learned to live with it as these 41s are nothing but fun to shoot.

GAR

Single-Sixer
The guy never did get back with me on it.
He posted it up and it went fast.
I contacted the guy that bought it and told him if he decides to sell/trade to let me know.

Guess my 5 1/2" Redhawk 45 Colt is not going to have a stable mate.

Tom

22-rimfire

Bearcat
I had a blue one early this year that I mentioned I would be willing to sell on another forum. Within a day, it was sold.

Latest posts