41 mag blackhawk 6.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I've got a hankering for this gun as a mate for my 44 mag SBH--but can't find one anywhere in anything longer than 6.5" barrel. All my guns have to be able to take deer at reasonable ranges--so what is the collective wisdom on this wheel-gun?

contender

Ruger Guru
There was a reported VERY FEW(3 maybe 4) "cleanup" 41 mag Blackhawks produced, but likely unverifiable by the factory due to the rarity of them. No known serial numbers of any have ever been reported to the RENE. So, don't hold your breath trying to find one.
As such, the normal factory production was limited to the 6-1/2" guns.
Now, there was a Bisley variation in 7-1/2" offered and when found usually sell for a premium.
But, a 6-1/2" barreled 41 mag is just fine for deer hunting. I own a few of the OM 41's in that length, & I'd NEVER feel under-gunned with them. I bet the 41 with a 6-1/2" bbl will outdo most folks who can pick them up to shoot. If you desire a 41 mag Blackhawk, get one & begin to enjoy. Fear not, the deer will feel all the fear for you.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
If you would move to the Super Black hawk the Hunter Model comes in 41 mag 7.5 in Barrel in Bisley also! ps

Maybe as a custom gun--but I don't think it's in regular production these days AFAIK.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I bought the New Model .41 in 2000 (6.5"). More accurate than I am and plenty of knockdown power for deer/pig at reasonable ranges - say up to 100yds in my hands. A hotter round than the usual helps. I like the 210gr Underwood XTP. MV 1560, and stays supersonic out to around 300yds according to Hornady ballistic calculator. I also put Hogue grips on it since the factory grips just don't work for me.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I saw this on gallery of guns--by the time I made my mind up it was gone--but I found it for even cheaper over on Guns America so I put my order in! Looks like a magnificent gun and a good brother to my SBH.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
You'll like, no LOVE, a Hunter Model, if I understand that you have one on order. Of course as far as the regular 6.5" model goes, check my Avatar. Larger pic available of course if you like.
Kevin

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Don't think the hunter model is available anywhere but through a Davidson custom--and they are dry. I don't mind--I already have a 44 mag SBH scoped and am happy to use a blued more compact wheel gun that can still hit hard--and I can reload for it as well.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Got a holster/cowboy rig for it? They look really good in nice rig with belt full of cartridges. :wink:

Ruger.jpg~original

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I still need one for my 44--but that looks fantastic--and I suspect costs as much or more than the gun itself! : )

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
I still need one for my 44--but that looks fantastic--and I suspect costs as much or more than the gun itself! : )

I don't think so. I inherited this rig from my father about 10 years ago, but I think you can get a decent rig for $100-$200.

There's a tack shop near me that sells gunbelts, leather holsters, and other western stuff - boots and saddlery, etc.. Next time I drive by I'll stop in and check their prices & let you know. :)

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
triggerpull said:

I don't think so. I inherited this rig from my father about 10 years ago, but I think you can get a decent rig for $100-$200.

There's a tack shop near me that sells gunbelts, leather holsters, and other western stuff - boots and saddlery, etc.. Next time I drive by I'll stop in and check their prices & let you know. :)
Very cool--there's a guy that shows up to shoot near where I live with a beauty western style rig--but often has a semi-auto pistol in it which looks a bit odd : ) Be cool to stick one of these in there : ) http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
GunnyGene said:
triggerpull said:

Very cool--there's a guy that shows up to shoot near where I live with a beauty western style rig--but often has a semi-auto pistol in it which looks a bit odd : ) Be cool to stick one of these in there : ) http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

A mare's leg wouldn't fit in a standard holster, but rigs are available for it. Did some googling, and a mare's leg rig will run about $350 or so without any extras. Standard drop loop holsters for sixguns seem to start at $99 and go up to $600 or so, depending on decoration, lining, etc.

Don't know about anyone else, but I dislike buying stuff like this on-line. I like to try it on, examine the stitching and so on. I have seen some quality rigs at gun shows for a bit less than the above mentioned prices.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
There are a few custom leather-crafters in my area here in the south--so I don't think finding a good one will be a problem.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Well, the Exchange in SD has come through with outstanding service--ordered the gun yesterday and it's in my hands right now in TN! Fabulous gun--feels much smaller and lighter than an SBH but still has the huge manhole of eternity on the business end of the barrel : )_

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
triggerpull said:
Well, the Exchange in SD has come through with outstanding service--ordered the gun yesterday and it's in my hands right now in TN! Fabulous gun--feels much smaller and lighter than an SBH but still has the huge manhole of eternity on the business end of the barrel : )_

Good deal! Did you happen to check out Underwood for ammo? Really good stuff that I use.

blitzen25cat

Bearcat
100_1044.jpg
[/url][/img]Trying to post a pic of my .41 Mag. I traded a 3 screw black hawk...I have several...even for this .41 Mag 6.5 in from 1980. Came with original box. I guess I did ok. Dick.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
triggerpull said:

Good deal! Did you happen to check out Underwood for ammo? Really good stuff that I use.
appreciate the reference--I'll look at em : )