4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jocko

Bearcat
mekender":31v0w8em said:
revhigh":31v0w8em said:
jocko":31v0w8em said:
I wolud think there could paossably be 5000 lcp's out there already and really not major issues. They would have started to show up.

Only time will tell ... how many SR9's do you think are 'out there' ??

i know that there are at least 25,000 because ive seen serial #s as high as 24xxx

sure sounds like a lot of SR9 at 25,000 in such a short time of production but it is quite possable, as Ruger can pump out alot of guns. Going to keep some Ruger gun techs pretty busy for awhile. A shame to , for it is such a good looking gun . Not making excuses either but at least Ruger is stepping up and doing the right thing. I would want to know if my gun was unsafe, even though I can't remember ever dropping any handguns I have ever owned. No doubt some number puchcers inside Ruger probalby could have tried to show the management people the very very low percentages of guns that would be dropped and of that the very very low percentage of those that might even misfire (as they all don't do it) and then the very very low percentages of people that would have thought that anything was seriously wrong, and the very very low percentages of people that would have pursued legal liability etc and more than likely could have shown that it would cost far far less to fix um when they complain or pay a hospital bill once or twice. thats what number punchers do you know. Glad to see that Ruger said, lets do the right thing and do it now. Sometimes the lite at the end of the tunnel is now always a train coming head on. Good things will come out of this but it will put a damper on SR9 sales for awhile.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm not so sure I'd start giving Ruger all kinds of credit for this recall. There's only ONE reason the recall is happening, and that is because the potential financial consequences of an accident outweight the financial implications of fixing the problem. We saw how they handled the mag problem ... not very well at all, but there were really no financial and legal consequences for that problem, so they were basically prepared to ignore it, and let the chips fall where they may. There's still a bunch of unhappy people out there with bad mags and mag releases. Some may never even know, some got them replaced, and Ruger told some to go pound sand. BUT, they never issued a recall, did they ?? Nope, simply because there was no legal or financial risk to them.

If an SR9 gets dropped at a range , and a little girl was shot and killed, that could and probably would put Ruger out of business. THAT is why Ruger is 'stepping up to the plate', as some have said, to fix this. That is the only reason. If you think the reason for this recall is Ruger being 'nice, fair, community minded, or any other adjective', I think you're being naive. There's only one reason for this recall, and that is FEAR of possible legal/financial consequences.

I still don't get how this happens at companies. If I were designing a gun, you can be damn sure the mags could be loaded, released successfully, fed all kinds of ammo, and I'd be hammering nails with the cocked gun with the safety on AND off, just to be sure there could be no accidental discharge. Now the LCP comes out and has peening problems. I can't believe that Ruger NEVER inspected a fired LCP during testing and found the areas in question being battered. As others have said, Ruger isn't the only company to have problems like this. Do any companies have QC departments anymore ?? What's up with that ???

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
revhigh":20nvjprf said:
I still don't get how this happens at companies. If I were designing a gun, you can be damn sure the mags could be loaded, released successfully, fed all kinds of ammo, and I'd be hammering nails with the cocked gun with the safety on AND off, just to be sure there could be no accidental discharge. Now the LCP comes out and has peening problems. I can't believe that Ruger NEVER inspected a fired LCP during testing and found the areas in question being battered. As others have said, Ruger isn't the only company to have problems like this. Do any companies have QC departments anymore ?? What's up with that ???

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

I think REVHIGH should be President / CEO or what ever of Ruger!!!!!!!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
That's a good one Hip Shot, but stockholders probably wouldn't like the result. It would probably raise the cost by at least 10%, and delay product introductions by months, but then again, I'd like to think that the rash of new release problems could have been reduced. THe issues mentioned could easily be 'managed'.

I always wondered why the introduction of the SR9 was so carefully and successfully choreographed, with the gun being announced, guns being 'pre-delivered' in reasonable quantities to the dealers, posters being available, and customers being able to actually buy the guns on the release day. It seemed like they really had their $hit together, and now the LCP is released and it is the biggest abortion you could imagine. It's just tough to understand the dichotemy in Ruger's performance these days. Maybe they had staffing 'cuts' and got rid of the managers that ran the SR9 introduction.

REV

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
revhigh":u6llz6qd said:
If an SR9 gets dropped at a range , and a little girl was shot and killed, that could and probably would put Ruger out of business. THAT is why Ruger is 'stepping up to the plate', as some have said, to fix this. That is the only reason. If you think the reason for this recall is Ruger being 'nice, fair, community minded, or any other adjective', I think you're being naive. There's only one reason for this recall, and that is FEAR of possible legal/financial consequences.

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

Rev- Do you know someone on the "inside"? It seems that you know so much about what is going on at Ruger!

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
HIP SHOT":2ap2qr1q said:
revhigh":2ap2qr1q said:

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

Rev- Do you know someone on the "inside"? It seems that you know so much about what is going on at Ruger!

Actually the shareholder annual statements are amazing with respect to the detail that they give.

revhigh

Hawkeye
HIP SHOT":1lm1nzfn said:
revhigh":1lm1nzfn said:

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

Nope, not a soul ... just standard presumptions these days ... think about what would happen if, God forbid, something tragic like that happened. They would literally never recover.

REV

mekender

Single-Sixer
as i stated before, toyota just issued a 500,000 vehicle recall on models that are something like 2 to 6 years old... so its not something that is related to just new products... it is impossible to test for every possible problem that could crop up... for all we know this ruger recall is a infinitely complex set of circumstances that could make it malfunction... the recall didnt say that it will fire if dropped, it said it could under certain circumstances.. what if the recall is for "if dropped at a 45 degree angle while 3 fmj rounds are loaded underneath one JHP round in a 10 round magazine while the outside humidity is 43% and the temperature is 72 degrees and the gun lands on a mixture of sand and gravel.. the gun could fire"

hell look at the Intel recall on the old Pentium chips, if you multiplied two 5 digit numbers together in a specific version of Excel, you got an error...

the bottom line is that no manufacturer is capable of testing for every possible abuse that the customer could put their product through...

revhigh

Hawkeye
mekender":1354ky6e said:
it is impossible to test for every possible problem that could crop up

Yup, who would have thought that some idiot would actually try to LOAD A GUN'S MAGAZINE without an UPLOOOLA contraption, or heaven forbid, who thought up the insane act of loading FULL METAL JACKETED BULLETS into an auotomatic gun's magazine, and another dope actually, can you believe this, pulled the trigger with a round in the chamber, and the metal surfaces of the gun pounded into each other and smashed each other to bits, but the kicker of it all, some total moron accidentally dropped his gun with the safety off, and it went off. Seems acceptable to me !!

Who are the freaks that dream up these totally unlikely abusive scenarios that will never occur in the real world, and then expect Ruger to test for them ?

Stop apologizing, Ruger needs to get their $hit together BEFORE they release new weapons to the public, NOT AFTER the public does Ruger's testing with their hard earned money.

REVHIGH !!!!

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
Well I have a thought or two here after reading all the post so far..

I do not know where the orignal release that was posted as a sticky was originally found but I do find it very interesting that it was posted on our site on April 9th and yet Ruger just got around to sending me a e-mail regarding the recall here on the afternoon of April 11th...Lots of bad things could have happened over a period of two days...

I would think that after has spent some 20 plus years trying to get buyers to send in their old Rugers for the retrofit that one of the first QC test they should be doing on new weapons is a "will it fire if dropped"

It does appear that that in an effort to crank out a gazallion new guns and make the shareholders warm and fuzzy they have kinda pushed some of the old bill Ruger style engineering and testing toward the back burner..Are they now being controlled completely by bean counters?

I will just stick with the old Ruger products.

mekender

Single-Sixer
revhigh":3cidklop said:
mekender":3cidklop said:

Yup, who would have thought that some idiot would actually try to LOAD A GUN'S MAGAZINE without an UPLOOOLA contraption, or heaven forbid, who thought up the insane act of loading FULL METAL JACKETED BULLETS into an auotomatic gun's magazine, and another dope actually, can you believe this, pulled the trigger with a round in the chamber, and the metal surfaces of the gun pounded into each other and smashed each other to bits, but the kicker of it all, some total moron accidentally dropped his gun with the safety off, and it went off. Seems acceptable to me !!

Who are the freaks that dream up these totally unlikely abusive scenarios that will never occur in the real world, and then expect Ruger to test for them ?

Stop apologizing, Ruger needs to get their $hit together BEFORE they release new weapons to the public, NOT AFTER the public does Ruger's testing with their hard earned money.

REVHIGH !!!!

do you actually believe that ruger, or any company for that matter didnt spend months beating the yugo out of their products before releasing them?

my understanding was that it was a 4 year design process... im guessing that over a year of that time was spent figuring out every possible way to destroy their product so that the consumer didnt have to...

and im not apologizing for anyone or any thing... so far ruger has been nothing but 100% honorable in standing by their product, and i am one of the ones that has had one of the worst problems with their SR9...

as with ANY product, yugo happens... what matters is how the company that makes it stands up and resolves the issues... and so far, thy have been top notch...

i bet youd love to work with the IT guys that do purchasing here at my work... they have hard drives go bad all the time... do they freak out about it, no... yugo happens, its part of doing business...

for christs sake, look at the problems that the glock .40s had when they came out... and that is the almighty and holy glock that can do no wrong in most peoples eyes... get off your soap box for a bit, continuously bitching about how a company isnt doing things right doesnt do any one a damn bit of good... if you dont like it that much, start your own company and compete with a superior product... other wise, say your piece and move on... hell, at least smokejumper shut up after they fixed his SR9, i dont even think you own one, yet you Rosie O'Donnell enough for all 25,000 of us that do

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
revhigh":z06o7dgb said:
mekender":z06o7dgb said:
Yup, who would have thought that some idiot would actually try to LOAD A GUN'S MAGAZINE without an UPLOOOLA contraption...

Stop apologizing, Ruger needs to get their $hit together BEFORE they release new weapons to the public, NOT AFTER the public does Ruger's testing with their hard earned money. REVHIGH !!!!
ME!!! I wouldn't load without one, except for my Mark III. Oh, and it's an UpLULA. :lol:

And for what it's worth, I agree with mekender 100%. It is virtually impossible to test for every conceivable situation. Ruger has nothing to apologize for other than the inconvience of us having to send our SR9 back for the recall....

UpLULA.jpg

Boy has this "Recall Thread" gone off topic.... :D :p :roll:

homeyclaus

Bearcat
DPris":2455pxfm said:
Product safety recall from Ruger, some samples "can" fire if dropped with safety off on a loaded chamber.
New trigger group is in the works to correct the problem.
Denis

Not to point out the obvious, but ALL pistols can, given the correct circumstances, fire when dropped. Really. It's just harder for some designs than others.

peanut

Bearcat
This is why i waited as with the 32 they are introing. WE ARE BETA TESTERS...all production slams it out to be tested by users and will fix it on the fly. This is a fact of life.

DPris

Buckeye
I started this thread within ten minutes of receiving it direct from Ruger.
Denis

revhigh

Hawkeye
AZ Outlaws":vty8bt71 said:
It is virtually impossible to test for every conceivable situation.

The situations being discussed here are anything BUT inconceivable. They are the FIRST situations that should have been tested.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mekender":355my9px said:
do you actually believe that ruger, or any company for that matter didnt spend months beating the *Censored* out of their products before releasing them?

I wouldn't have believed it 5 years ago of Ruger, but now, yes, I do believe that. History has proved it, unfortunately.

Al James

Hunter
mekender, I was going to comment on the single pin 40s+w glocks that self destructed upon firing but you beat me to it. I didnt want to start the debate so thanks for beating me to it. I dont think that hurt Glock to much. Considering that almost every dept in america carries a Glock 22. Of course this being an accidental/negligent discharge issue is a tad different.

We have to remember that drop safety is a relativly new idea. When the Ruger single actions were designed it was accepted that you dont carry the gun with a round resting on a loaded chamber just like our beloved Colt SAA. Another one of our favorites, the Win 94 had a half cock safety and it wasnt a real good idea to drop that one either.

My point is: the days of personal responsibility are over. The gun will fire with the safety off when DROPPED! Cure? Dont drop your loaded gun with the safety off!

If Im driving like an idiot and slam my car into a tree without my seat belt on and go through the windshield, is it #1-My cars fault #2-The seat belts fault or #3-MY fault?

Im not making excuses for Ruger because the rules are in place but I think that one must understand the rules' origin. Every company must now prepare for and prevent litigation. So everytime we curse 10 pound trigger pulls, mag dc's, loaded chamber indicators, integral locks we must remember the negligent origin.

That said I want my SR9 back :shock: