4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other side of the coin is that, should the other states take California's lead in passing legislation implementing impossible design features, the elimination of new firearms will take place gradually without the feds ever getting involved.

I appreciate Ruger's position, but in the long run it might be moot.

Not very promising . . .

jocko

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":9ehvmlbl said:
The other side of the coin is that, should the other states take California's lead in passing legislation implementing impossible design features, the elimination of new firearms will take place gradually without the feds ever getting involved.

I appreciate Ruger's position, but in the long run it might be moot.

Not very promising . . .

point well taken, look at our emmission laws. they always seem to start in California.

DPris

Buckeye
When I was testing the SR9, I talked to a couple people inside Ruger about it.
One VP told me, in response to questions about the absence of a lock in the SR9, that "It raises cost, adds no value, and most people don't want it." He said he'd managed to get it left out of the design. He also said the loaded chamber indicator does not meet California requirements.
The LCP is so horribly wrong & inherently dangerous to the population of California at large that it was never even a remote question of sales there. :roll:

I'm getting "no plans" responses to questions about introducing internal locks into DA revolvers.
It would be smart of Ruger to take a hard look at the sales percentages that writing California off would bring and what sales percentages elsewhere might do to offset that market loss. Diehard S&W purists are looking to either the used Smith market for older non-lock guns, or to Ruger because Ruger DAs don't have locks. As the prices are driven up in the used Smith market, Ruger pricing may become a strong enough attraction to bring more people to Ruger revolvers.

It's a wait'n see.

Denis

A

Anonymous

I have stayed away from all SR9 topics while I have awaited the return of my pistol from AZ for other reasons. I will now share. I sent this thing in 4 weeks ago.
03/13/2008 - shipped pistol in NDA box :(
03/14/2008 - tracking shows delivered
03/31/2008 - acknowledged receipt of my pistol on 03/14/2008 :cry:
04/08/2008 - Called CS to check status - left VM
04/09/2008 - No returned call - sent email requesting status :shock:
04/10/2008 - No reply to email or previous VM so I called again and was told about the recall... :x
I now await a return call which most likley will never happen based on above responses.
I knew nothing about it and only wanted my pistol back. I had it in my hands for 1.5 weeks....they have now had it for 4 weeks and now this....so...I can most likley expect that they will not return my pistol anytime soon. I am disappointed in the reality of the fabled CS level that ruger allegedly used to provide. I will not purchase another ruger firearm and will be unloading all the one's that I do have (7 of them). This level of service is unacceptable and there ARE alternatives. This is how companies lose their brand-loyal customers.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd at least keep the rifles, the mini, and the Mark I ... you won't miss the rest. You're experiencing the reason why you should never buy a Ruger new release for at least a year, and probably 2. They had my P91 for about 4 months during the P345 debacle. Just hope yours is in front of the SR9 returns. By the dates you gave, it should be.

Actually, their CS is pretty good during non-crisis mode. Unfortuantely, most of their new releases are followed by crisis mode for a period of about 9 months. I have no doubt that the Elsie Pea will follow suit as well when enough get into the public's hands. Not bashing, just stating a likely scenario.

REV

A

Anonymous

Well..I needed someone to listen to me. I knew some of you would and I thank you for that. I will most likley not sell them (that is a loosing proposition) - but I will never purchase another ruger product. The space below...you see it...the one that USED to be reserved for my LCP is now available for immediate occupancy. What should move in? Key is Florida summer dress - shorts and such...Oh and...not a ruger.

Thank you.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Hello Admin

May I suggest you take the original post or two that contains the actual recall information and make that a stand alone stickey, rather than have all the comments attached to it?

Five pages in less than 24 hours of folks debating back and forth what Ruger did or didn't do when they made the SR9 ought to be a different thread.

Thanks....

jocko

Bearcat
revhigh":1g5ypytd said:
I'd at least keep the rifles, the mini, and the Mark I ... you won't miss the rest. You're experiencing the reason why you should never buy a Ruger new release for at least a year, and probably 2. They had my P91 for about 4 months during the P345 debacle. Just hope yours is in front of the SR9 returns. By the dates you gave, it should be.

Actually, their CS is pretty good during non-crisis mode. Unfortuantely, most of their new releases are followed by crisis mode for a period of about 9 months. I have no doubt that the Elsie Pea will follow suit as well when enough get into the public's hands. Not bashing, just stating a likely scenario.

REV

I wolud think there could paossably be 5000 lcp's out there already and really not major issues. They would have started to show up. The frame mod is done and being implimented in all the new guns. My bet is that the feed ramp will be slightly modified to accept more of the sensitive ammo's tried with little success. But so far no cracked slides, cracked grips. broken barrel lugs. Drifintg take down pins, broken hammer springs, all of these are major desing flaws, so far so good. I give the lcp out of the box a 8.5 out of 10...

revhigh

Hawkeye
jocko":2sdud0b1 said:
I wolud think there could paossably be 5000 lcp's out there already and really not major issues. They would have started to show up.

Only time will tell ... how many SR9's do you think are 'out there' ??

mekender

Single-Sixer
revhigh":ja9tdayj said:
jocko":ja9tdayj said:
I wolud think there could paossably be 5000 lcp's out there already and really not major issues. They would have started to show up.

Only time will tell ... how many SR9's do you think are 'out there' ??

i know that there are at least 25,000 because ive seen serial #s as high as 24xxx

Olduke

Bearcat
rrent":2d9z7gzk said:
I already heard back from Ruger (as a side note I give Ruger an A+)

My question was:
Can I have a new style mag release installed in my gun when it is there for the repairs mandated by the recall?
Should I send payment and a note with the gun?
thanks in advance
Ronnie

their response (in part):
Yes. A new style Mag Latch will be installed and a new style magazine will be supplied when returned.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

Did I mention -- I give Ruger an A+

Just like me to jump the gun.....I just put in the new mag release last weekend....well, dang...

tc scout

Bearcat
Well this whole mess sure puts a damper on my summer! I bought the SR9 to shoot IDPA. I am going to look real cool shooting IDPA with my contender. At the very least I Am a little dismayed that Ruger did not test this gun more throughly before releasing it to the public. :(

revhigh

Hawkeye
tc scout":1b6h7c86 said:
At the very least I Am a little dismayed that Ruger did not test this gun more throughly before releasing it to the public. :(

What, and ruin a perfect record ????? LOL.