4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mekender

Single-Sixer
another famous gun recall was the original olympic arms AR-15s... they used some internal m-16 parts and under specific conditions the gun could malfunction and fire full auto... they recalled those some 15-20 years ago yet there is currently a criminal case here in the US where someone had an un-fixed one that malfunctioned and is being put through the ringer by the ATF for it...

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
I spent 13 years in manufacturing in the automotive sector. That experience is why you will never see me plunking down my hard earned cash on a first model year car or gun or anything else complicated!

As stated in another thread the first year of a new model car launch is one of constant engineering changes to fix problems that crop up as the car goes into full production.

With that manufacturing experience I know that ocassionally processes get out of control and bad product gets out the door.

However, the goal of a manufacturer in the automotive sector is ZERO defects. The car companies will not accept a supplier consistently delivering crappy products. Those of you not in manufacturing would be amazed at the hoops you have to jump thru to prove your process capable once a problem has been noted.

As a consumer, you too, SHOULD ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN ZERO DEFECTS. I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to overlook the problems with launches of recent guns and just shrug it off. Consumers need to let manufacturers know, politely but firmly, they expect a new gun to work right out of the box. Yet, if it's made by a company they like many consumers are welling to shrug their shoulders and say "oh well". If consumers don't hold the manufacturers accountable every new model introduced in the future will have the same issue.

Smith's M&P had its mag drop issue, Kel Tec's PF9 had more issues than I can think of offhand, Ruger has had problems with its P345 and LCP and now the SR9, Walther's PPS has a couple of issues that have derailed what looks to be an appealing gun, and Sig Sauer couldn't even produce a 1911 without issues for goodness sake! Yet partisans of those brands stand up and say the company has great customer service and are taking care of the problem and golly gee they gave me a free mag for my trouble!

It is ultimately up to consumers to decide if they want to continue to be beta testers for the gun manufacturers or if they demand a zero defect product right out of the box. If everyone who now owns an SR9 would sit down and write Ruger a polite letter stating that in the future they will not be buying new models of Rugers when they are first intoduced due to the mag issues and the recall I can gurantee management would sit up and take notice.

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
Clay...You have hit the nail square on the head....Posting here about Ruger's failures does nothing towards preventing the same events in the future...All the e-mails, letters, etc. need to go straight to Ruger..
After all they are in the business of manufacturing items that can kill you
or another person as a result of a malfunction.
Makng excuses for them does nothing but let them know we will tolerate their mistakes and lack of engineering/quality control/testing...
This now makes 4 of their newest handguns that I have decided not to purchase and I have been known to buy as many as 3 to 4 new Ruger models on a single day...

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
revhigh":dbmklqba said:
AZ Outlaws":dbmklqba said:
It is virtually impossible to test for every conceivable situation.

The situations being discussed here are anything BUT inconceivable. They are the FIRST situations that should have been tested.
You don't know that. The statement from Ruger says, "under certain circumstances". There is NO WAY to test for every different combination and condition on how the gun is dropped, on what surface etc, etc, etc....

GingerGuy

Bearcat
It's no big deal to me to send my SR9 in for a recall. I have many other guns to shoot while this one is in a factory recall.

What bothers me at this point is Ruger never identifies the parts to be replaced. They state the parts being replaced will not be returned.

It's my gun, I think I should know which parts are being replaced. Why doesn't Ruger identify these parts? Why are these parts being replaced?

Something about this just doesn't sound right to me. For a car recall, the bad parts are identified and replaced. The owner is advised as to what parts are defective and why. But for some unknown reason Ruger has failed to identify the parts....I wonder why?

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
GingerGuy":39fed03f said:
What bothers me at this point is Ruger never identifies the parts to be replaced. They state the parts being replaced will not be returned.

It's my gun, I think I should know which parts are being replaced. Why doesn't Ruger identify these parts? Why are these parts being replaced?
The trigger is being replaced. See post #2 on page 1 of this thread, or Step 3 on the Ruger website at the bottom of the page....

A

Anonymous

AZ,

Do you have an SR9 caught up in this mess? Just curious. I do...

Regards,

mekender

Single-Sixer
Something about this just doesn't sound right to me. For a car recall, the bad parts are identified and replaced. The owner is advised as to what parts are defective and why.

telling you why they are bad could lead to someone figuring out how to make the gun malfunction... and i know plenty of people that would initiate a self inflicted grazing to win a lawsuit

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Username":1qop01ix said:
AZ,

Do you have an SR9 caught up in this mess? Just curious. I do...

Regards,
Yes I do, but I hardly consider it a mess....

mekender":1qop01ix said:
Something about this just doesn't sound right to me. For a car recall, the bad parts are identified and replaced. The owner is advised as to what parts are defective and why.

telling you why they are bad could lead to someone figuring out how to make the gun malfunction... and i know plenty of people that would initiate a self inflicted grazing to win a lawsuit

You may have a good point there. I would suggest anyone who wants to know more, call Ruger and press them for an answer with more details. Me, I'm satisfied they announced the problem and are going to take care of it in a timely matter and toss in a free mag to boot....

A

Anonymous

AZ...fair enough and no disrespect here. I really loved the 2 times I got to shoot my SR9 (after paying $500+) How long have you been without your SR9 and when / why did you send yours back? Mine had the peening issue, the hard to load the mag issue, the errant pinholes in the castings issue, the crunchy trigger issue, and now apparently, a "do not drop it" warning. Mine has been there in AZ for (4) weeks already...and then it is now recalled - and the best part - as I understand it - is that the parts will not even start to become available until mid MAY?
:lol:

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Username...

My SR9 functions flawlessly. It was one of the first to be built with the newer mag. The only issue is the recall and that doesn't pose a real problem for me. Just leave the safety on till you're ready to fire.

For the life of me, I have never seen such bashing as what goes on here. It's a Ruger forum and it seems like a lot of people get there jollies knocking Ruger and their products.

Any gun maker can make a bad batch or a few lemons. Case in point, my Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40S&W. Sig has a reputation for building quality handguns and you pay a pretty penny for their "To Hell and Back" craftsmanship. Even with their reputation as a quality gun maker, after just 300 rounds, the barrel on my P226 started showing unusual wear. I sent it back to Sig and it was back in my hands in one week with a new barrel. No big deal... stuff happens.

My Sig P226 is the best built, right out of the box shooter I've ever owned... even with the bad barrel. I'd hate to see the wrath that would rain down on Ruger if it was one of their guns that had this happen to it.

My P226 and the bad barrel....

mekender

Single-Sixer
Bersa45":2ehc6vc3 said:
Is the reason for the recall because California has a drop test with the safety off and the SR9 fired?

my understanding is that the loaded chamber indicator didnt pass CA standards, so there would have been no reason for them to drop test it... im guessing that they noticed a problem with a customers gun after he called them and told them that he dropped it and it went off..

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
mekender":21av2aew said:
Bersa45":21av2aew said:
Is the reason for the recall because California has a drop test with the safety off and the SR9 fired?

my understanding is that the loaded chamber indicator didnt pass CA standards, so there would have been no reason for them to drop test it... im guessing that they noticed a problem with a customers gun after he called them and told them that he dropped it and it went off..
What is supposedly wrong with the loaded chamber indicator on the SR9 that it wouldn't pass a California smog check? They sell the Mark III there, don't they? It has a loaded chamber indicator like the SR9, except it's on the side of the gun and not as visible....

mekender

Single-Sixer
the CA rules say that the indicator has to be visible from 24 inches and would indicate to someone that was not familiar with the gun that the gun was loaded... my understanding was that it wasn't big enough...

For the life of me, I have never seen such bashing as what goes on here. It's a Ruger forum and it seems like a lot of people get there jollies knocking Ruger and their products.

actually, its only really 2 or 3 people that have been getting their jollies off bashing ruger... some others have had bad things to say, but only one or two have been persistent and repetitive about it... i should hope that on other boards, mods would have paid attention to that and said something about it... apparently that isnt the case here

Bersa45

Bearcat
ok, one more question. Should I put the mag disconnect back in before I send it back. If I don't will they put one in? I'm wondering now if I even should send it in at all :?

jhearne

Buckeye
Bersa45":3582qfn2 said:
ok, one more question. Should I put the mag disconnect back in before I send it back. If I don't will they put one in? I'm wondering now if I even should send it in at all :?

Someone already said in another thread that a removed Mag DC would be replaced and billed to you, they run over $50, more than a new striker, I think their closer to $75 each.

Just to be on the safe side, before you or anyone ships in the SR9 for the recall to go ahead and replace the MagDC it takes less than 5 minutes and its the exact reverse of my HowTO on removing it. Taking 5 minutes that may save you the cost of a couple new mags is worth it IMO even if they aren't checking for that to save some time/hassle.

Go ahead and send it in when they send out the box for it, til then shoot it like nothings wrong. Its not like the gun malfunctions during regular use, for already proven pistols, not malfunctioning already ones. It fails during a drop test from an unannounced height, I for one keep it holstered on safety, or stored unloaded when I am not shooting. The safety itself works, the trigger assembly isn't jiving with the striker blocker in an accidental drop. The turn around shouldn't take long at all, as they send your box for you when they are ready for your gun....Once assemblies are preassembled, it should only take about 10-30 minutes to replace and do another final assembly and then check functionality.

PLUS your getting a new magazine plus the new style release, and the new mag should be a new style so its a win win for us, we get a knowingly fixed gun, plus a new mag, saves me $40 and I am only out of a gun for a week or so.

Josh

jocko

Bearcat
24" wow wonder what "college" grad came up with that distance to pass California spec. No wonder Ruger is really not worrying about pleaseing komfornia. I would not either.

it won't ever stop in komfornia and alot of gun companies hav e jsut written California off as far as tryng to please them. Once they met the 24" rule, some "college" grad would up it to 30". there would be no end, once you start to try to regulate something out, it can easily be done.

A shame..