4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
jrrjrr, you just posted this:
Man!, And to think I was carying mine in new Thunderwear concealment holster in front waistband. Family Jewels can you ever forgive me?
just to get Me and Al out of our one day hiatus from our two man gun forum comedy team.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Well I actually look at this as a good sign. Ruger is handling this far better than they did the magazine issue.

Ruger really stepped up on this one. So much better than the Car Dealers do, when they try to hold off for as long as possible declairing a part defective.

I have seen it take 5 years for a car maker to admit that a vehicle had an issue. Heck My sisters 99 Ford Explorer. In 2007 she got a recall on the seat bolts. It basically said the seat could become detached in an accident. Only took them 5 years to figure that out.

Charlie

454PB

Bearcat
I bought a P-85 when they first came out. Same thing happened, but Ruger did a quick turn around and gave me a free magazine. I still have the gun.

jhearne

Buckeye
Seems that when you 'register' they put you on the list and may not send out all the shipping boxes to you at once, they will work down the list; logistically it will be better turn around time and you shouldn't have to wait for your gun as much as you will have to wait for the shipping box. Kudos to Ruger if they handle it like this, wonder if I can get a new mag release put in while its there and if I get a new mag with it? It could be worse, someone could have learned this the hard way. I am glad they let us know and are doing something about it period.

Josh

rrent

Bearcat
jhearne - I emailed Ruger (outside of the recall contacts) with a can/how do we get the new style mag release installed while our guns are back for repairs ---I'll post when I get an answer.

Ronnie

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks, I am at work and can't remember my gun's serial # off the top of my head and you'll save me the trouble, let us know!

Josh

Murle

Bearcat
We have determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

I think if you look at this close. Most semi firearms if not all will fire under "certain" conditions if dropped with their safeties in the off position. Define "certain". Is that 1 foot 6 feet 10 feet........

rrent

Bearcat
I already heard back from Ruger (as a side note I give Ruger an A+)

My question was:
Can I have a new style mag release installed in my gun when it is there for the repairs mandated by the recall?
Should I send payment and a note with the gun?
thanks in advance
Ronnie

their response (in part):
Yes. A new style Mag Latch will be installed and a new style magazine will be supplied when returned.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

Did I mention -- I give Ruger an A+

jhearne

Buckeye
So Ronnie, are they installing the new mag catch for free + the new mag?? If so yay, if not well I'm out $6 lol, maybe they will clean mine up some, I have about 600rounds through it and no cleaning yet heh.

What about the Magazine DC, if we have removed ours, (regardless of ease of replacement) and return it to ruger with the Mag DC out will it reappear, and be billed, like a normal repair job? I plan on putting mine back in just incase this holds true for the recall as it does for repairs....

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Murle":3rbgqmj3 said:
We have determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

I think if you look at this close. Most semi firearms if not all will fire under "certain" conditions if dropped with their safeties in the off position. Define "certain". Is that 1 foot 6 feet 10 feet........

I think 'certain conditions' has regards to the safety being 'on' or 'off'. Regardless its an issue they are fixing, and hopefully its a one time deal.

This could have something to do with why its not available in CA or MD yet in either mag capacity. They did say the trigger group failing when the safety is off in a drop. Basically saying the trigger bar that pushes against the striker blocker isn't working properly....meaning it contacts in a way it shouldn't allowing the gun to fire improperly.

Also I noticed they said all guns with the 330-xxxxx serial number prefix will have this recall made available to the user. Does this mean that the 'second generation' SR9 will be the 331 prefix or anyother variation?? It seems it would be easier on the consumer and their techs to change the prefix now after the "fix" to a similar sort of MK II style designation.

Josh

DPris

Buckeye
It won't be available in California & has nothing to do with this issue.
Simply doesn't meet their import requirements.
Denis

jhearne

Buckeye
Import requirements??? What is imported about this pistol supposedly mfg'd in USA?? Serious question Denis, not trying to sound like a dick.
Mainly since Import/Export is an international hassle? This should just be state to state.

Josh

Al James

Hunter
jhearne, Kali is another country when it comes to Gun Laws. I believe he is talking about the rules regarding the sale of new handguns in CA[aka import for sale]. Drop test, mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, microstamping chamber stamp, on and on. Its a defacto handgun ban to put it nicely.

DPris

Buckeye
J,
Ruger told me last year in working with the SR9 that it didn't meet the requirements imposed by the Sovereign State Of California for importation across that state's borders.
The loaded chamber indicator has been mentioned specifically.

Pie,
I don't believe it was submitted for a California drop test.

One thing I'm finding is that Ruger seems to be reaching the point in their two newest pistol designs where the company is not imposing California's restrictions on the rest of the nation in including features only required by California (or Maryland). If true & if continued, this is a positive indication that Ruger has simply given up on the California market (WITH NEW PISTOLS) realizing that California is becoming too expensive to design for, and sales with those unwanted features may negatively affect new gun sales while boosting used gun sales.
Time will tell.
Denis

jocko

Bearcat
Ruger did the right thing and being a safety issue, did it fast. again the right thing to do. My hat is off to them, maybe some not happy to have to send them back but it can happen

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks for the clarification Denis, I thought thats what you meant just didn't want to prematurely read too much into it....Your second point about not catering to CA's needs for sale makes sense, I guess in a way it could be a way of boycotting rediculous court rulings and such, sorry to all the wishful Californians for Ruger not wanting to try and meet your states 'wishes' but I think this is a good move by Ruger, if this is thier intentions (highly doubtful but probably misconstruable) aside from the expensive designing points.

Josh