39a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I found a 39a but was leery if the holes in barrel where scope mounts. Here's a pic. I also just found a 1885 low wal with the same setup so apparently it's factory. Would you buy a 39a with this set up. The pic is just to show scope mount. I didn't have the 39a pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_075706_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_075706_Gallery.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 87

contender

Ruger Guru
Just because you find a similar gun with a similar scope mounting system,, doesn't always mean it was factory. Many older guns did NOT come with pre-drilled scope mounting holes. I'd study the models very closely before I'd buy if collect-ability was a consideration.

I have a Hawkeye handgun, that does have the barrel factory drilled & tapped for a scope. Yet,, in someone's "infinite wisdom" they DTed another hole for a scope in the top strap. Uuugghhh!

eveled

Hawkeye
No not factory in my opinion. I have 6 39's and looked at 100's more. none of them have had those holes. Interesting lever on it too.

Always a chance they made a short run of something odd, but it is certainly not the normal configuration.

Depending on price I might still buy it, but not at top dollar.

Del J

Single-Sixer
In Brophy book, of Marlin Firearms. In The Chronology of the 39A, 1954 Sears guns to have four telescope mounting holes in the barrel. This is for the Weaver N mount for scope mounting. I saw one at gun show about 5 years ago. Nice rifle, but not knowing about the factory holes, I let that one slip by me. Also there is post about this rifle on the Marlin Owners forum.
Del J

bwct

Bearcat
In Brophy book, of Marlin Firearms. In The Chronology of the 39A, 1954 Sears guns to have four telescope mounting holes in the barrel. This is for the Weaver N mount for scope mounting. I saw one at gun show about 5 years ago. Nice rifle, but not knowing about the factory holes, I let that one slip by me. Also there is post about this rifle on the Marlin Owners forum.
Del J
I have a 1955 Marlin 39a that has the scope mount holes in the barrel. There are no scope mount holes in the receiver. My mother bought this rifle from Sears in 1955/56; a Christmas gift for my father. I have never found a Weaver N mount.

eveled

Hawkeye
Del J

I have a 1955 Marlin 39a that has the scope mount holes in the barrel. There are no scope mount holes in the receiver. My mother bought this rifle from Sears in 1955/56; a Christmas gift for my father. I have never found a Weaver N mount.
I stand corrected. So the gun in question is probably an old Sears contract gun? Pretty cool.

paco44

Bearcat
i have a 39a with the holes ih the barrel and the original mount in the marlin package

Latest posts