.357 Magnum vs .45 Colt Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have pretty much narrowed down my next choice of a handgun (when and if I ever get any money) to a New Vaquero with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I just am having a hard time picking a caliber. One one hand, I have a .357 Blackhawk and have lots of ammo on hand already, molds for a variety of bullets and all the reloading supplies I need. However, I still like the thought of a .45 Colt, and while I don't have brass, I have lots of large pistol primers left over, and the only thing I would need to start loading that is dies and brass, still have some molds for that too. So right now it is what I want more, since this is going to be more for when I am in the woods and the occasional time I feel like using it as my carry gun when I am out and about.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Since you reload, the additional costs would not be that much. I decided to try the 45 Colt and I am glad I did, it is just so much fun to shoot. I just ordered some 45 Schofield brass to try in it also. Great fun making up many different loads for it. I say go for the 45.

Jim

I really like the 45 Colt cartridge, and I'd choose it over the 357 in a hunting revolver. But, if it is to be more of a backpacking / plinking sidearm, the 357 ammo takes up less space and weight, and about the only thing we have that the 357 wouldn't work well enough as a defensive firearm would be an angry moose. But, the 45 Colt is a nice cartridge to reload as well.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'm pretty much with those above. I have both calibers, and find myself reaching for the .45's first. Something about those big,booming, rounds that makes them fun too load, too. :mrgreen:

schloss

Single-Sixer
dlhredfoxx said:
.45 Colt... .357 mag is for girls... :)

I like girls.

In the long run, you'll really want both. I like my 357 NV better than my 357 BH. So now I'm after a 45 NV or Colt clone to accompany my 45 BH. Everything has it's application. 45 is more fun to shoot, but the 357 is cheaper and has a lot more logical applications for most of us.

I say if you want to have continued fun with what you've already invested, go 357... But if you want extra fun, boom and smoke, go 45. Totally involves what you're after. Do you use black powder?

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero with 5½" barrel. For many years, I shot black powder cartridge rifle. Some of the match venues had black powder cartridge handgun matches. They required fixed sights and black powder (or substitute). The Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero were naturals for this sport.

I ended up shooting a lot of those matches and it gave me a true appreciation for the black powder .45 Colt. My most used bullet is the Lyman 452664, a 250 gr RF. I cast these of 30/1 and sized them at .452". I used Emmert's home mix black powder lube (SPG is a good commercial mix for black). I got great accuracy (under 2" at 25 yards) and my particular revolver can shoot about 70 shots before cylinder drag from fouling becomes a problem. This is a revolver specific number (it'll vary depending on the particular revolver). Using a good black powder solvent, clean up is a 5-10 minute job. I did it right at the range after the match. I followed up with Ed's Red as a preservative.

The power level of the black powder .45 Colt was really eye opening to me. My load chronographed at over 900 fps when using Swiss 3f. Somewhat less velocity and recoil with 2F. Elephant powder was still available when my tests were run and using 2f Elephant, the velocity was more in the nature of about 750 fps and were more pleasant to shoot.

So, if you get the .45 Vaquero, give serious thought to trying black powder out. Simply fill the case to the point that it requires about 1/16" compression when you seat the bullet and you are good to go. I used a Lyman powder measure (made for black powder) for consistent results. This will give you an appreciation for the "tools of the trade" that our soldiers had with the '73 SAA Colt back in the day...

FWIW
Dale53

I'm going to disagree with everyone>

I have and highly recommend the older larger frame Vaquero's in .45. They can be loaded up pretty warm with the "Blackhawk only" data, which is a no, no in the New Vaq's.

C.S.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
In the single action frame style I have to go .45 Colt. Nothing wrong with .357 but for me that's a number I'd rather have in a swing out DA wheelie.

The only consideration is that in the newer "slim" Vaquero frames you can't ramp up the power to +P "Ruger only" load data, but standard pressure .45 Colt still offers plenty of thump.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I like and have both. The Colt is fun to shoot and will do about anything one would want to do...so it is obviously a good choice.

One thing that I have been thinking about lately is the future of shooting and casting bullets in particular. With lead becoming more scarce, and even though I have a considerable amount of lead on hand, I have lately started giving the 357 more love cause I shoot a lot of the 125gr Lee FN bullets...that gives me 2 of those bullets for every one of the 255gr Colt bullets...and I know I could get a smaller Colt mold.

At any rate, either is good...get the one you want and enjoy it.

Hugh

Buckeye
dlhredfoxx said:

Wellll, I'm not so sure about that. I've been shooting a 4" Security Six .357 Magnum for 40 years now. I refer to that little shooter as a wrist breaker. But still continue to punish myself. About three years ago I came into possession of two New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt(s). One is 7-1/2" and the other is 4-5/8" I really like the 4-5/8" .45 Colt. It is a tack driver and is my favorite of all of my revolvers, bar none. The thing is, it is not as near a hard hitter as the .357 Magnum. Yeah right, the .357 Mag is for girls. I truly prefer that ashtray slinging .45 Colt, but do wish it would hit as hard as the .357 Magnum.

stevemb

Hunter
Go for the .45 ! You already have a .357. The .45 will be lighter to pack. It's easier on the ears too. steve

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Hugh said:
dlhredfoxx said:

Wellll, I'm not so sure about that. I've been shooting a 4" Security Six .357 Magnum for 40 years now. I refer to that little shooter as a wrist breaker. But still continue to punish myself. About three years ago I came into possession of two New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt(s). One is 7-1/2" and the other is 4-5/8" I really like the 4-5/8" .45 Colt. It is a tack driver and is my favorite of all of my revolvers, bar none. The thing is, it is not as near a hard hitter as the .357 Magnum. Yeah right, the .357 Mag is for girls. I truly prefer that ashtray slinging .45 Colt, but do wish it would hit as hard as the .357 Magnum.
In a word..."Handload". :D In a proper handgun, with the right selection of components, that .45Colt can be loaded pretty stout.

Rclark

Hunter
but do wish it would hit as hard as the .357 Magnum.
You are not loading them right then :) . The .45 Colt can be loaded to smack as are hard and as with much weight as desired. Bigger bullet ... bigger hole... Heavier bullet more penetration. Win win. I used to pack a .357, but now .45 Colt all the way. Big and slow is the way to go. Easier on the ears too.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
The .45 Colt can be loaded to smack as are hard and as with much weight as desired. Bigger bullet ... bigger hole... Heavier bullet more penetration.

I don't know as if you could load them as hard as you want if you are limited to standard pressures which, from the above, you would be with the smaller frame vaquero. Can the standard loaded 45's be handloaded beyond the muzzle energy of the handloaded 357's? Not according to my manual. Also, stopping distance (penetration) is a function of mass (x) velocity squared not just mass. Faster bullets may expand more and penetrate less, but everything being equal the bullet with higher muzzle energy will penetrate more. Further, I've seen no statistical study that shows that bigger bullets are more effective in self defense applications once you control for the fact that bigger bullets often have more muzzle energy. For instance, the 9mm and 45 ACP are nearly identical in performance.

For me the practical choice would be the .357/38 but I don't think you buy a vaquero out of pure practicality. The 45 is more traditional.

Rclark

Hunter
Well, 250-260g bullet at 900fps has worked since 1873... So should work fine now... And it's at standard pressures (Tier 1 loads) too. There aren't to many animals out there that will stand up to that including a man at normal handgun distances. That said, the medium frame New Vaquero (and flattop .45 Colt) can easily handle what is called Tier 2 loads. Tier two is defined as loads running up to 23K psi. Beyond that and you are into Tier 3 loads (Ruger Only Loads 30K psi). Brian Pearce had an article in Handloader about his son taking a Black Bear with such a load using 280g bullets with impressive results with his medium frame .45 Colt flattop. Tier 2 gets a 280g bullet up around 1100fps. Seems plenty for what one would run in around here. Linebaugh lists the load I use for woods SD falls into this catagory (13g of HS-6 under 260g SWC) . Really though, my general 250-260g Bullet at 900fps will easily handle anything I probably would run into ... man included. So for me, big and slow is the way to go :) . My .357s stay at home .. or go to the range once in awhile, but don't go afield anymore unless target shooting or plinking ... Basically 158g SWC loaded down to around 1000fps for easy fun shooting is all my .357s see. I have no need for 'speed' or ultra-loud loads (light bullets moving really fast) in a handgun. YMMV of course. Just how I see it.

Here is an article on .45 Colt tier loads : .45 Colt PDF Note that this was written before Ruger released the .45 ACP on the medium frame Ruger which then upped the tier 2 loads from 20K to 23K psi.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I in no way said that a 45 Colt will not be effective in a SD role or hunting role...not that the Vaquero is probably the best choice for either. I didn't respond to anyone saying that the 45 would work because I'm sure it would.

The idea that the 45 Colt would work is clearly not the quote I was responding to or quoted. But, as I say, this doesn't seem to be a question of practicality anyhow.

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
I'll say it again... .357 mag is for girls... The .45 Colt will offer 2X TKO as the .357 with half the pressure. The .357 mag is simply a Hollywood round... Go big or go home! Now chew on that! :)

PS- Whoever thinks that a .357 mag "hits harder" than a full house .45 colt 330g hard cast at 1350 FPS has been smoking too much Obama hash in Colorado... that's like comparing apples to oranges! Come on up and play with the big boys. :)

Oh wait, why don't we talk about real big bores like 475L, 500L, etc... .357 mag? Really?