357 Mag better than 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimA

Bearcat
I had an email from a high profile LEO regarding penetration (paraphrased)...

"In my experience over penetration on a perpetrator never got a cop killed, under penetration has.

You picks your caliber and you takes your chances, at least this one didn't compare .38's and other mini calibers for effectiveness on bears :)
I've long been of the opinion that the worry about over penetration is way overblown. In a typical police shooting several bullets miss the target completely.

Hertervillian

Saluki
The whole reason I bought/like the 10mm is still the same as it was when I bought the first one. It is essentially a semi auto 357 with a higher capacity.

Not better, not more powerful, not "almost a 44 mag".
Absolutely. Essentially I traded a NMBH .41 mag for the 1911 10mm. Nobody who owns and shoots both will compare 10mm to .41mag.

I gained a couple more rounds on tap and far faster reloads. The 1911 is heavier I'm pretty sure, it makes a 10mm feel more like a .40 S&W compact pistol.

Only 13 calibers? You need at least 1/2 dozen more! :D
I don't think that included the one box of 40 caliber I bought just to see how it felt to shoot. I have a number of pistols I can easily convert from 9mm to 40 cal or 357 sig. In fact I have both a rifle and one of those pistols with a brace that I can go from 9mm to 357 sig pretty easy and if I ordered the barrel I could to over to 10mm.

Correct me it I'm wrong but isn't the only difference between 40cal and 10mm the length of the cartridge?

...Correct me it I'm wrong but isn't the only difference between 40cal and 10mm the length of the cartridge?

Yeah, that's it - the .40 case is 22mm long, and the 10mm auto case is 25mm long. The 10mm can be loaded to slightly higher pressures, but I doubt if the case is much if any thicker. If you reload, I think some die sets will handle both!
:)

I don't think that included the one box of 40 caliber I bought just to see how it felt to shoot. I have a number of pistols I can easily convert from 9mm to 40 cal or 357 sig. In fact I have both a rifle and one of those pistols with a brace that I can go from 9mm to 357 sig pretty easy and if I ordered the barrel I could to over to 10mm.

Correct me it I'm wrong but isn't the only difference between 40cal and 10mm the length of the cartridge?
The 10mm has potential to be considerably hotter and it usually needs a longer action like a 45acp and won't fit in most 9mm actions. In Rifle terms 10mm is a 30-06 and 40 is a 308. There is some crossover but generally different length actions. Not to mention that running hot 40's tends to crack the frames on traditionally 9mm frame guns where 10mm is no problem for 45 frame guns.

... 10mm is no problem for 45 frame guns.

There may be a few exceptions (like the original Colt Delta Elite?) - which has caused me to wonder on occasion about the durability of some of the 10mm 1911s being imported from foreign countries, like Turkey and the Phillipines.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Absolutely. Essentially I traded a NMBH .41 mag for the 1911 10mm. Nobody who owns and shoots both will compare 10mm to .41mag.

I gained a couple more rounds on tap and far faster reloads. The 1911 is heavier I'm pretty sure, it makes a 10mm feel more like a .40 S&W compact pistol.
Personally I would rather have the 41... 🙂

vlavalle

Single-Sixer

Sorry to tell you, but my guess is that you know little about revolvers, and in this case, about the 357 Mag. The max power of the 10mm is 750 ft. lbs., whereas the .356 Mag is 907 ft. lbs. In addition, I suspect that a lot of 10mm pistols are not capable of shooting this real high 10mm load, or at least only a few rounds, whereas just about any ,357 Mag revolvers can shoot the very high powered .357 load over and over. It sounds like you are simply a fan of pistols, and not of revolvers, and hence, your persuasion for the 10mm pistols. Also, there are .357 Mag revolvers with 8 rounds, and with speed loaders as well. You can shoot some DA revolvers just as fast as any pistol.

Sorry to tell you, but my guess is that you know little about revolvers, and in this case, about the 357 Mag. The max power of the 10mm is 750 ft. lbs., whereas the .356 Mag is 907 ft. lbs. In addition, I suspect that a lot of 10mm pistols are not capable of shooting this real high 10mm load, or at least only a few rounds, whereas just about any ,357 Mag revolvers can shoot the very high powered .357 load over and over. It sounds like you are simply a fan of pistols, and not of revolvers, and hence, your persuasion for the 10mm pistols. Also, there are .357 Mag revolvers with 8 rounds, and with speed loaders as well. You can shoot some DA revolvers just as fast as any pistol.
What this comparison shows is that in a side by side comparison both perform comparably against multiple test media.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
What this comparison shows is that in a side by side comparison both perform comparably against multiple test media.
This comparison, like almost all of them irrespective of the caliber is biased, and gives the results that they wanted in the first place. To be more exact, these online tests are between two (sometimes more) rounds of ammo that are selected to direct the viewer to come to their conclusion. Anyone comparing any calibers will try to pick ammo that appears to be 'equal', but the flaw here is that you can almost make any two calibers look equal by picking ammo that will give near equal results. Since you have believed the results, it is clear that their ploy worked. Try using a max .357 load against ANY 10mm round and you will see drastic differences. But no, they pick a mediocre .357 Mag round in the comparison on purpose.

Again, it sounds like you have little or no experience with revolvers. Once you do, you will quickly see and feel the difference. The .357 Mag shot is definitely louder, and has a lot more kick. Keep in mind that the .357 Mag was the most powerful handgun in the world for something like 25 years. and it is still one of the most favorite in revolvers today, partly because you can shoot weak, medium, and very powerful rounds with it.

I have owned quite a few 10mm's. Two revolvers, both S&W. A 610 and a 310. Wish I still had the 610, but the 310 had an alloy frame with a 3" barrel and kicked like a mule.
My semi's were Colt Delta Elite which by the way has an unsupported chamber which caused a few rim separation with hotter loads. Also had a Ruger 1911 which had a bunch of jams and mechanical issues with the slide lock and safety. In the end the only two I owned that ate everything and were reliable and accurate were the Sig P220 and an RIA 1911 which is the only one I still own. Also had a couple of Glocks, but didn't like the feel in the hand.

Last edited:
This comparison, like almost all of them irrespective of the caliber is biased, and gives the results that they wanted in the first place. To be more exact, these online tests are between two (sometimes more) rounds of ammo that are selected to direct the viewer to come to their conclusion. Anyone comparing any calibers will try to pick ammo that appears to be 'equal', but the flaw here is that you can almost make any two calibers look equal by picking ammo that will give near equal results. Since you have believed the results, it is clear that their ploy worked. Try using a max .357 load against ANY 10mm round and you will see drastic differences. But no, they pick a mediocre .357 Mag round in the comparison on purpose.
Yeah I don't know much about maximizing revolver and semi auto performance. I don't see any semis coming close to what I have done with my Dan Wesson. At least not to date. Carrying my 357sig with 94 rounds is easier than carrying my 44 with 6. My 357 Sig is hurling 90gr Lehigh XP's at 2,300 fps. Not to mention having a dot makes hits to 200yds almost boring. When it comes to speed and firepower and precision nothing comes close to an optic equipped semi. Yes I have made some amazing shots and won many bets with the Dan Wesson but it's almost useless for something I could wear for fast action especially Concealed. It's great for hunting and IHMSA etc but nothing I would want to wear for extended periods.

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221228_170457875.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170457875.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231127_135811912.jpg
    IMG_20231127_135811912.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 22a Dotted.jpg
    22a Dotted.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Dan Wesson.jpg
    Dan Wesson.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Is it just my speakers, or does that guy's voice seem extra deep?

He did do a good job testing the two side by side. I've never shot a 10mm, but it looks like it's very similar to the 357.

I hate video's like that one.
They hinder my efforts to deny that the 10mm is just a fad and isn't even in the same league as the .357.

One question for those who have shot both. Is it as deafening as the .357 mag?

ETA: I had my doubts about him being biased toward the 10mm as well (as most of the .357 vs 10mm comparo videos are). However, at the end he does state that he used THE highest charge of H110 he could find anywhere in the .357.

Last edited:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I cannot find the link to the comparison video, so can someone please post it again? I suspect that the .357 Mag ammo he brought to the comparison was simply what he could find at a gun store, or at Wal-Mart. I have a complete list of 35 handgun and 25 rifle calibers, and the category for the .357 Mag has 110 unique entries, where each link is to an online retailer that is selling that particular ammo. All my entries have ballistics info, as well as price, availability, and more. So, I will be able to tell everyone here just where the .357 Mag ammo used in the comparison and where it sits in the list of that caliber and how powerful it is.

Hertervillian

Saluki
What I was relateing was that a 10mm was by no means a .41mag, and more comparable to a 357mag. If you like your 357 that's awesome, For a revolver I'm more interested in .327.

Familiarity and ease of reloads brought me to a 10mm. Ten thousand reloads will not bring me to Jerry Micolec levels.