3.5 vs 4.0 Barrel Length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikee57

Bearcat
I have two SR9C pistols. As we know the barrel is 3.5 in. The SR9 barrel is 4.0 in. I really like my 9c's a lot. I know as everyone else does that the longer the barrel you will get more energy and everything else with the longer barrel. So, I was thinking about trading one of my 9c's in for a full size SR9 even though I don't really want to because I like my SR9C's but depending on what the opinions are on barrel lengths. My question is, is the .5 barrel length difference between the 9 and 9C that big of difference for SD and say out to 25 yards using +P ammo. All opinions appreciated. Thanks

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
I'd say not a dimes worth of difference to the recipient and most SD situations'll likely be under that range. I have the same gun, BTW. That said, if I had two, I wouldn't have a problem having an SR9 also. I like them too. JMO.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I won't split hairs, most commercial 9mm self defense ammo wil show little increase in velocity going from 3.5" to 4". At right around 3" in barrel length, most of those same ammos tend to fall off the grid a bit. It is a forward weighted bell curve when it comes to barrel length and velocity.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Here is about as good an answer as you can get:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Sham22

Bearcat
I had the same dilemma when I was ready to purchase an SR9. As stated above the difference in velocity/energy is minute. So for me it became about comfort and aesthetics. The full size fit my hand a bit better and was just more pleasing to look at. The full size is still concealable too.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
As noted above the velocity difference will be minimal and of no consequence. The real advantage of a longer barrel is its longer sight radius which makes it easier to shoot more accurately. Note, the longer barrel gun is not inherently more accurate, just a bit easier for the shooter to shoot smaller groups. For self defense at any reasonable distance, that is also of no consequence.