1984 Mk II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peterepete

Bearcat
i recently found a Mk II i had thought was stolen or lost. i dont remember hiding behind some heavy furniture but i guess i did. it sat in its case for 22 years. i wrote to ruger to find out information. they could only tell me it was manufactured in 1984. they also suggested i come here for any more information. is there someone here or a website or book that details info on specific MK IIs...a
20230611_110806_resized.jpg
nd possible value?

Pete, welcome to the Forum, nice gun and if it sat all that time I would just soak it in a pan of kerosene overnight, blow it out with an air hose, oil it down, blow out the excess. Swab the bore , and you'll be good to go, Nice gun and has the two good features of the improved "Marks" holds one extra round in the magazine and stays OPEN on the last shot........last one similar to yours we sold for $350, had just ONE magazine, most likely your gun came in a one piece yellow/black box with one mag, but see in your picture you have a couple of extras so add to the value, at least $50....
Good luck, and enjoy it for what it was made for......(y)(y);)

and yes, the mag on the left is a later Mark I mag and they are worth a bit more with the chromed bottom ( base)...........:cool:

peterepete

Bearcat
thanks guys. yeah, i may keep it, its my first handgun, but rugers answer suggested it might be something special to a collector.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

That's what we call a "Standard" model.
Fixed sights, 4-3/4" tapered barrel, and pretty much a copy of the gun that built the Sturm, Ruger & Company.
Not really collectable,, and the MKII version is considered by many to be THE model to enjoy.

Yes, soak it in kerosene (+1 to rugerguy), but I would remove the grips first. I don't think the kerosene would hurt them but you'll get better coverage and easier cleanup. Also under the edge of the grips is one of the sneaky rust areas on the Mark pistols.

Jlmerie

Bearcat
Must have been like Christmas morning when you found that. I am quite fond of the MK II's. Ruger tells me mine was delivered in March of 1993. It has the one piece yellow/black box. RugerMKII.JPG

Sasquatch

Bearcat
I bought my MKII pistol in 1989 I think , I don't have the box anymore unfortunately and still only one magazine. Mine has the 6" bull barrel. I need to get more magazines though.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Have had mine since 1987. It's the best 22LR pistol I've ever fired that wasn't worth the cost of a car. It and two other pistols are ones I'll never get rid of.

I'm not sure why one would need to 'soak it in kerosene'. It doesn't look rusty or even all that dirty. Squirt some CLP or other decent gun lube in the accessible spots and cycle the bolt manually a few times. If no dragging or roughness is noted, clean the bore and shoot it.
I'm not a Ruger collector but , as Contender said, It's a good, reliable shooter type pistol.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Older topic brought back to life but I have one given to me by a now deceased neighbor. Guessing it was a tackle box gun/hammer/club. SN says 1983. It's the only gun I have that is well worn.

F66-C59-AA-9866-4-F4-F-B412-86020356-D652.jpg

.... a kerosene bath works best for any old pistol( yes take off the grips first) and make sure it is UNLOADED,,,,hhhmm the kerosene gets into all the nooks and crannys and being a petroleum base actually lubes the works inside ...........:rolleyes:
nice standard auto pictured above and if it a 1983?? would be one of the last of the Standard autos as the Mark IIs came out then and your gun is the A100 grip frame, uses the double slotted magazines.....wish I had a nickel for everyone of those we reblued over the years....piece of cake to work and prep......enjoy it:cool:;)

watashie00

Bearcat
i recently found a Mk II i had thought was stolen or lost. i dont remember hiding behind some heavy furniture but i guess i did. it sat in its case for 22 years. i wrote to ruger to find out information. they could only tell me it was manufactured in 1984. they also suggested i come here for any more information. is there someone here or a website or book that details info on specific MK IIs...aView attachment 25453nd possible value?
Bought my first one,, just like this a Montgomery wards,,,, $39,, fed me on squirrels and rabbits through college (50 cents for a box off 22lr),,, still have that gun,,,, still a dead shot with it,, will never get rid of it invaluable

Latest posts