Continuing mk 4 problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jckwgn

Bearcat
I finally got around to buying myself a mk4 love the gun,it shoots great but holy crap it's unreliable . The first time I took it to the range it misfired the second round and several after that. So I came here and other sites looking for info and so far I have installed from Volq. a trigger kit,new firing pin,extractor ,rounded over the lips on the magazines and installed stronger springs in them. I still get failure to fire (no strike on the rim) stove piping ,failure to extract and no bolt hold open after last round. I have tried CCI , Remington , Aguila , Federal and Winchester ammo , doesn't matter. What am I missing , I driving me crazy. Thanks for any help

contender

Ruger Guru
Good evening neighbor!

(Well, a bit east of me anyway! ) :D

Ok, I have to agree with a few folks above. What has Ruger said or done? You say you don't want to return it to "as shipped" condition,, but before you can truly claim it's got problems,, you do need to replace all the "aftermarket parts" and then see how it performs. if you still have problems,, then contact Ruger, POLITELY explain your issues,, and they will likely send you a pre-paid label to ship it back to them. They will go over it to find the causes of any problems.
If you return it to original condition,, and do not have issues,, then you will know it's one or more of your aftermarket parts causing the problems.
Don't forget to use an unmodified factory magazine after you return it to original condition.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
From what I have heard, if you return a gun with aftermarket parts installed Ruger will remove them and install factory parts as part of the repair process.
Also, your aftermarket parts won't be returned.
Never done it so I can't vouch for the truth of it.

hittman

Staff member
If you didn't shoot it before you started customizing ….. you don't know if Ruger or aftermarket parts are the problem.
Did it function fine before you swapped parts?

Seems to me it's a super duper ultra rare occasion to have problems with a Ruger MK series semi auto.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I would restore the original parts and send it back to Ruger...... perhaps it's a 'headspace' problem that would have occurred at the factory when they 'fit' the barrel to the receiver (?)
J.

jckwgn

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies, ok I'll put all the stock parts back in and put a few boxes through it , although I did think about the bolt, I might know a guy. About the mags just rounded over the front of the flange that holds the bullets in ,saw it on YouTube, claimed it helped the bullets stay more level and replace mag springs with ones fron volquartsen

I can't add anything new, but I'm sort of curious why all the work on a brand new pistol? The Ruger Mark pistols can possibly be finicky with a certain ammunition, but overall very reliable.

Did the magazines cause trouble before being modified? That one is a head scratcher.

My very first pistol was a Ruger Mark II and the original magazines are still unmodified and working just fine.

As mentioned, I'd return it to factory original and see if the problems persist.

Dan in MI

Staff member
New Website is up. This page a WEALTH of MK series knowledge. Ignore the MK-Frames title. It is just that, the title to the page with all the good info.

Last edited:
My MK IV Lite was unreliable at first, but after about 500 rounds and a couple of good cleanings it's been a rock star. If you haven't gotten to that round count yet, just keep shooting and see if it improves.

FWIW MK IV Lite is all stock.

I've thought about this off and on since last night.

I think a lot of problems are tied to the modified magazines. I would say Definitely the bolt hold open issue. And probably the stove piping and the other problems too.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I was at the range this week. It was a rainy day so I decided to shoot indoors. Seemed like a .22 RF day so I took along my Std, Mark 2, Mark 3 and Mark 4. Many rounds downrange since I bought the first one back in 1971. Don't ever remember a failure with any of them. Overall, the most trouble-free of all the handguns I own.

That's not saying much I realize. I'm sure they do make some lemons. I also realize that many use aftermarket parts to "tune" them up. I just never saw the reason.

My Mark 2 was my bullseye gun for many years. I think I stripped it for cleaning maybe 20 years ago.

bear007

Bearcat
My new MK VI 22/45 LITE has been flawless with the except of a few FTFs. But if the striker gets a good solid hit on the cartridge and it doesn't fire you can't blame the gun. Unfortunately I had a few off brand boxes I had to shoot through with this problem. I'm sticking with CCI Varmint for now.

Latest posts