What fps range can be used when reloading BHN 12 158gr LSWC in 38 special or 357 magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi.
Am currently loading 357 magnum with some Missouri 158 grain LSWC BHN12 (both non-coated and Hi-Tek coated).
I am getting zero-leading when in the 900 to 1100 fps range.

From your experience, at what increased-fps-range will likely require a move up to BHN18?? (BHN18 is next step up through Missouri Bullet Company)

Thanks much, and have a nice week!

dannyd

Hunter
Missouri Bullets, their 357 Action!-Groove-less (18bn) is a very good bullet, so is their 38 Match Groove-less (12bn).

If you just hunting paper the match bullet is great, but if your going over 1000 fps, I would go with the Action bullet because it's more Versatile you can very slow or very fast depending on your needs.

I have loaded about 6,000 of each, no leading or any other problems.

oldcrab

Bearcat
Missouri Bullets, their 357 Action!-Groove-less (18bn) is a very good bullet, so is their 38 Match Groove-less (12bn).

If you just hunting paper the match bullet is great, but if your going over 1000 fps, I would go with the Action bullet because it's more Versatile you can very slow or very fast depending on your needs.

I have loaded about 6,000 of each, no leading or any other problems.
Thanks, dannyd!
I like the idea of just buying the 18bhn and using it for both the 1000 fps target work, but still able to move it up a few hundred fps for some woodland-work.

Cheers.

Paul B

Hunter
I run my home cast bullets at full power in my .357 mag handgun. Bullets are 11 one the BHN scale. Bullet is the Lman #358156 SWC with gas check. I have run some of those bullets at BHN 8 but those were loaded accidently yet I incurred no leading. That load was shot in two revolvers, a Ruger Blackhawk and an S&W M28. Load was 15.5 gr.#2400. Do work up very carefully as it's well above max in most current manuals.
Paul B.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I've run into more leading from bullets being too hard than too soft (within reason). The worst offenders in my experience are high-BHN bevel-base with "crayon" lube. I run my hand-cast flat base, soft (10-11) alloy with soft lube bullets at 1,200 FPS with zero leading, but using the same powder charge in the same firearms, but with Oregon Trial Laser Cast bullets, I got tremendous leading. My advice? If the Missouris are bevel base and hard-lubed, don't try to drive them any faster.

dannyd

Hunter
MP moulds makes the same bullet as Missouri Bullets sells, so I also cast that bullet. Going to try to Hi-Tek coat them, this winter.

FD98C03D-D52F-46C2-8B69-F4955AC6EEA8.jpeg

dannyd

Hunter
Lee 158 RF, I have had good luck with them in Rossi, Henry and Uberti 1873's. I use the 125 RF for Cowboy, but the 158 RF for regular target shooting. Also works good with a speedloaders in GP-100's. Those 6 cavity moulds from Lee do enable you to cast alot of bullets too

D3898281-CDD7-44E1-BEF2-623347C32957.jpeg

D7D3CB24-6DD6-476D-B272-85A1AA54CF21.jpeg

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Yup, two of our members here will fix you right up if your chambers are undersized. I'll let them chime in. If you're not getting leading yet you might be all correctly sized. Try running them faster! If anyone's telling you hard cast leads worse I'd say they have undersized chambers and poor accuracy. Mostly for leveractions round shoulders work best for feeding. SWCs shoulder sometimes hangs up.

Yup, two of our members here will fix you right up if your chambers are undersized. I'll let them chime in. If you're not getting leading yet you might be all correctly sized. Try running them faster! If anyone's telling you hard cast leads worse I'd say they have undersized chambers and poor accuracy. Mostly for leveractions round shoulders work best for feeding. SWCs shoulder sometimes hangs up.
The 1858 Remington is the perfect example. They used essentially 45cal barrels with 44cal cylinders. Reaming the cylinders tightens up groups considerably.

dannyd

Hunter
Nobody has mentioned matching bullet diameter to throat/bore diameter, probably the most important factor.
I did all that in the late 80's, for what I shoot (targets out to 50 yards) it did not make any difference, so I just size to .358.

Even rifle out to 200 yards with .308 and 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Blackout, same just size to .309 and shoot.

magnum0710

Bearcat
I got a sample of the 357 Action bullets, I thought I ordered the coated version but it was the regular lubed version.
I emailed Missouri Bullets and they told me with their Hi Tek bullets you can run them at 38 or 357 velocity.
I'm new to this myself but so far bullet to chamber fit seems to be more important than BHN within reason. I wouldn't run 5-6 BHN lead bullets at 1200 fps but I'm sure you could run the 12 BHN at those levels, especially the powder coated version. I've ran the Hornady swaged SWC at 357 levels. The load was kind of hot for that bullet but somehow I got no leading. The Hornady swaged SWC is around 10-12 BHN, my practice 357 load is 8.2 grains HS6 from an older Hornady manual, it's supposed to push it to 1100 fps. I'm willing to bet you'd be fine with the Missouri Bullets.
They say the 44 magnum was developed using 11-12 BHN bullets.

Latest posts