Reloading .38 special questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
A turret press, like the Redding T-7, is a good choice. Like a single-stage, only one operation is performed at a time on a series of cases, but when you're done with those operations, you simply rotate the turret to the next die and begin the next set of operations. You don't need to be unscrewing and screwing in dies all the time from one operation to the next.

Even so, I have been using a single stage press for over 30 years (RCBS RS3).

With a progressive press, multiple operations occur at once. That's fine for some, but not for me. I like examining each round after each operation. I weigh every single powder charge I throw; I examine the powder level in every case. Have been doing this for many thousands of rounds for over 35 years. Never had any problems.

So I think a turret press is the best of both worlds.

Rob328

Bearcat
I'm still using an old RCBS Rockcrusher that I've had for years. I cast my bullets from wheel weights that were given to me. A little bit of tumble lube, primers, and very little HP-38 or Bullseye or whatever faster burning pistol powder. Very economical compared to factory ammo.
I feel like reloading makes you closer to the gun. Kinda like hunting makes you closer to your food. I enjoy it. Good luck!

jules

Single-Sixer
If you are trying to save money I think it depends on how many rounds you shoot at a setting and how often you go. If you go once or twice a month and shoot 50 or 100 rounds you may be better off just buying ammo. I reload for personal satisfaction.

There is nothing wrong with a single stage, multi stage or turret presses, they all have their uses. I think you'll see that folks that shoot competition (and don't have a sponsor who might supply their ammo) shoot a LOT of ammo, thus need to be able to load a lot of rounds in a short period of time as to not waste time. And I AM NOT saying that using a single stage press is wasting time, I use a single stage when loading specific rifle ammo for hunting.

For example, when I was shooting PPC I was shooting about 1000 rounds a week for practice and then during a match it was another 160 to 480 rounds, depending on how many matches I shot that day. So, I needed to load a lot of rounds every week in a pretty short period of time (I was in the USAF at the time, so you never knew what might happen to your "spare time"). The Square Deal B was my go to reloader during that time. When I got out of competition, due to the USAF sending me to Egypt for a year and then to a new duty station, I ended up (shouldn't have) selling it to a friend who was still competing.

Last edited:

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
My Lee Turret Press which I bought new for $129 about 20 years ago has well over 30,000 rounds on it and still works perfect. They run about $175 now
Bingo,same here,lee turret,20 yrs old cast iron..runs great..i started in 80s after service,that got me goin in guns,so my investment paid backbyrs ago..

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
There is nothing wrong with a single stage, multi stage or turret presses, they all have their uses. I think you'll see that folks that shoot competition (and don't have a sponsor who might supply their ammo) shoot a LOT of ammo, thus need to be able to load a lot of rounds in a short period of time as to not waste time. And I AM NOT saying that using a single stage press is wasting time, I use a single stage when loading specific rifle ammo for hunting.

For example, when I was shooting PPC I was shooting about 1000 rounds a week for practice and then during a match it was another 160 to 480 rounds, depending on how many matches I shot that day. So, I needed to load a lot of rounds every week in a pretty short period of time (I was in the USAF at the time, so you never knew what might happen to your "spare time"). The Square Deal B was my go to reloader during that time. When I got out of competition, due to the USAF sending me to Egypt for a year and then to a new duty station, I ended up (shouldn't have) selling it to a friend who was still competing.
Yes same here..when shooting 300 win or 7mm i use single stage..lee turrent handgun small rifle..

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
When I first reloaded my ammo, one could realize some fantastic savings. I loaded my first rounds of any cartridge in the middle of 1954. Some old time gentlemen that were neighbors got me interested and I finally got parental approval to load my own ammo. Cartridges were the .38 Spl., 30-30 Win. and 30-06.

Currently, for the .38 Spl. I use W231 or for more powerful load Unique. Back then when I started I used Bullseye for the .38 Spl. and Unique as mentioned. Loading tool was the old Lyman 310 took knick named, "The Nutcracker." Slow, but it made good ammo within its limitations. About two years later I bought a Pacific reloading kit and used it in the early 1970 when I replaced it with the RCBS Rockchucker. I'm still using that Rockchicker for everything I shoot except the .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby I replace the Rockchucker with a Rockchucker Supreme as those cartridges were too large to load with the original press.

I do have a Dillon 550B set up for 9MM and a full die set up for .45 ACP. I haven't used it in years.

Last run of .38 Spl. I did was 1,800 rounds, all on the Rockchucker. Bullet was the cast Lyman #359495 wadcutter sized at .359" over 3.1 gr. W231. Brass was mixed brands that were separated according to make. Standard Winchester or CCI primers, whatever was handy. These loads were tested using a friend's Ransome rest agains some Winchester factory wadcutter target load at 25 and 50 yards. My loads were noticeably more accurate at 25 yards and totally beat the factory stuff at the 50 yards mark.

I cast my own bullets with an allow that run 11 one the BHN scale and is the one I use in most, if not all my cast bullet loads, rifle or pistol.

I load handgun ammo and some rifle ammo in what I call batch runs. For example for the last run of .38s, It was1,800 pounds. Charge was 3.1 gr. W231 for the 140 gr. WC bullet. I kept it rather simple. I resized 900 rounds on day one. I did the next 900 the next day. Next I deprimed and belled the next step the next two days, 900 each day. Then I primed them, 250 per day until all were primed. Powder was done the same way, 250 a day. Each charging was checked for weight every tenth round.
Seating bullets was done over 900 rounds after checking once more to insure all cases were properly charged. A good flashlight helps when doing that.

Note that while I ran all the brass, I did check all the Winchester target brass for length. They have two cannelures on the case, the second one to apparently stop the bullet from somehow receding into the case like a turtle pulling in its head. The have a habit of stretching badly when being resized.

Paul B.
2 cannelures is dedicated wadcutter brass and very desirable. Separate that stuff and use it for wadcutters. There is less taper to the case and therefore grips the entire length of the full wadcutter.

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
2 cannelures is dedicated wadcutter brass and very desirable. Separate that stuff and use it for wadcutters. There is less taper to the case and therefore grips the entire length of the full wadcutter.
Didn know 2 cannalure brass was dedicated wad cutter brass and good stuff! Been loadin all these yrs n didn know..

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
My Lee Turret Press which I bought new for $129 about 20 years ago has well over 30,000 rounds on it and still works perfect. They run about $175 now
Yes,same here! Started in 1989 with single stage, then about 2003 got lee turret cast iron..Big rifle on challenger cast iron. Still goin great.I buy those turret heads,so jus switch turret head to diff caliber in SECONDS! Never gotta touch dies.LEARNED durin obama shortage.Bought LIFETIME primers durin trump era,35$/1000.. Same with powders..Paid for itself YRS ago.I got bunch Big rifle calibers.4/5$ per SHOT commercial..Just those calibers has paid for Everything yrs ago😁

Latest posts