44 special load in 44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Just buy some .44 Special brass a
Why??? The .44 Mag case can handle loads from -600fps to +1300fps loads. My philosophy to to only use the cartridge that the gun was designed for, but load what I want to shoot. Not rocket science here :) .

Rclark

Hunter
I think Contender addressed the problems of tiny powder charges in big cases.
I am sure. That's why you use a powder that uses up more volume in the case if you can. For example. 8.5gr of Unique fills the case more than adequately for a .44 Special load in .44 Mag. Same with Trail Boss for really 'light' loads. Simple....

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Has ANYONE here ever read of a CONFIRMED report of "secondary detonation" blowing up a revolver?

I never have. Squibs? Yup not secondary detonation or whatever it's called.

One of the issues is inconsistent velocity due to powder charge position in the case. I knew an old bullseye shooter (38 SP with minimum loads and wadcutters) who tipped his muzzle up before each shot to move the powder closer to the flash hole.

Rclark

Hunter
One of the issues is inconsistent velocity
Easy enough to test over a chronograph. Most powders I tested didn't seem to have that problem... but there were a few I recall. And the velocities I was looking for were 850-1100, so not 'light' loads.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
One of the issues is inconsistent velocity due to powder charge position in the case. I knew an old bullseye shooter (38 SP with minimum loads and wadcutters) who tipped his muzzle up before each shot to move the powder closer to the flash hole.
If one does that at some of the public ranges down here and you're caught, they may boot you out :) If you have an A/D and it hits the rafters they'll put a plaque next to the hole with the date and your name next to it.

I have a great light 44 mag load that I use. 200 grain lead truncated cone, over 7.5 grains of Win231, I gotta try this tip up/tip down thing with my Garmin Xero. See if I can record a difference.

Latest posts