Reloading 38 special double end wadcutters question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
I am going to get a sample pack of double end wadcutters from Missouri bullets. (PPC #2 Hi-Tek coated)
(They are .358 diameter, 148 grain BHN 12 for PPC velocity)
My question is what is the most appropriate way to seat and crimp?
My internet explorations show people doing 3 different methods with double end wadcutters:
- Some seat the bullet to midway on the crimp groove and put a roll crimp into the crimp groove.
- Some ignore the crimp groove and seat the bullet low in the case and put a light crimp on the bevel-top of the bullet.
- Some simply load the bullet flush to the case mouth and don't crimp at all.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks much for your input.
:)

Attachments

• 1704990917652.jpeg
    1704990917652.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 32

James also

Bearcat
Our PPC rounds are less than target velocity. In Michigan the indoor range is 50' and a 600fps is adequate with a light roll crimp for ignition is all that's required. I do mine on the flat just below the top radius. Don't push them they were meant for low velocity's.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I was given a box of 148 gr, button nose wadcutters. I have no idea the maker as the label on the box was long gone. I've always crimped in the crimp groove . Tumble lubed with liquid alox and pushed by 3.0 gr of Titegroup I get good accuracy and no leading in my 3" SP101. They'll anchor a barn rat pretty well too.
IMG_3549.JPG

I would put a light crimp on them someplace-probably the provided crimp groove. This may/will help consistent ignition and prevent bullet movement even though that's unlikely at the recoil levels these bullets are intended for.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I think these bullets are good for defense carry as well as target use. One of the reasons to have a double ended wad cutter is to avoid too much pressure from blowing through which can happen with hot loads using hollow base wadcutters. A fair amount has been written on the subject. Given spotty performance from hollow points out of two inch barrel revolvers, many detectives and police back up guns would prefer these bullets. I have loaded them for years. I use the top crimp groove and do not want to chance a bullet being pulled out due to recoil.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've been "told", and read somewhere that hollow-base wadcutters should be loaded with hollow-base DOWN towards the powder; the reason being that the hollow base obdurates better at lower velocity/powder chartge. The second reason was always that we used them for target shooting events and they were more accurate when seated that way. I too seat them with just a bit of lead showing in order to facilitate using them in target grade autos i.e. S&W Mod. 52. Finally, I only taper crimp these wadcutters... I never roll-crimp them.
J.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
FYI - PSI Check out how seating depth changes PSI. Same idea with other powders other bullets. I cast Lee 148 tumble lubes and like them . Had some hollow base. Loaded them upside down just for fun. Would make a good short range belly gun round. At longer range they tend to "wander"o_O.
Z .38 WAD CUTTER.jpg

anachronism

Single-Sixer
I am going to get a sample pack of double end wadcutters from Missouri bullets. (PPC #2 Hi-Tek coated)
(They are .358 diameter, 148 grain BHN 12 for PPC velocity)
My question is what is the most appropriate way to seat and crimp?
My internet explorations show people doing 3 different methods with double end wadcutters:
- Some seat the bullet to midway on the crimp groove and put a roll crimp into the crimp groove.
- Some ignore the crimp groove and seat the bullet low in the case and put a light crimp on the bevel-top of the bullet.
- Some simply load the bullet flush to the case mouth and don't crimp at all.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks much for your input.
:)
Your particular bullets are DEWC, Double Ended Wad Cutters and have a crimp groove on each end for use with a light roll crimp, but you can taper crimp them instead if you wish. When crimped in the end grooves a short portion of the bullet will be visible above the case mouth. If you look at the ends of your bullets you will see that one end is completely flat while the other shows the point the bullets sprue was cut off. Many shooters load the bullets with the perfectly flat end towards the powder so they have a perfect bullet base as an aid to accuracy. The sprue end, the ugly one is oriented as the bullets nose in this instance because uneven surface won't have an effect on accuracy if it's in the nose position. This technique is not set in stone, so if you want the pretty end out for looks, go right ahead.

For seating I'd recommend seating the bullet at one station, then crimping the bullet in place at the next station of your press. Since it is to be used in a revolver it's also okay to seat and crimp at the same station as long as you are careful not to apply too heavy of a crimp. My press and dies allow me to seat and crimp separately so I do so for maximum consistency. It's also up to you as to where you seat and crimp the bullet. These bullets have a perfectly good crimp groove and that would be my choice. The bullets you've seen that were seated flush with the case mouth likely didn't have a crimp groove to begin with.

crstrode

Single-Sixer
If seating flush, or at the crimp groove, no crimp is needed, save for just a touch to straighten out the bell. The large amount of bearing surface on the 148 grain wadcutter provides plenty of tension. Mine are loaded with about 4.5 grains of Unique, and do better than 850 fps from a 1-7/8 inch snubby. Great EDC defensive load.

Reactions: JCK

Latest posts