Need information on old R.F. Wells / Herters model C. reloading press.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
About a year ago I picked up a R.F. Wells model C. Reloading press at our local Habitat For Humanity store. I know that this was also sold under the Herters brand name. There is no way to mount a shell holder on the ram. The top of the ram is threaded and appears there is a part missing. I bought a adapter off of eBay that allows you to use RCBS style shell holders on this press, but it won't work for this model. If I had a lathe I could fix the problem, but I don't and I can't afford to pay a machinest to modifiy it for me. I don't need this press as I already have a RCBS Rock Chucker press, but I could leave this setup for decapping only. Any idea what part is missing ? Here is several pictures. I only paid $15.00 for it, so I am not out much money if I can't fix it.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Attachments

• wp1.jpg
    wp1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 53
  • wp2.jpg
    wp2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat

got this from another gun site

Order a universal shellholder adapter ~$18.95 @ch4d.com....order extra clips for ~$1.(I call them Jesus clips,as in ,"Jesus! Did you see where that thing went?!?".
And where else are you gonna find a single-stage piece of history at that price?

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Mine has male threads at the top of the ram. Your shell holders also have male threads. I have no idea to make the picture bigger.
CHEVYINLINE6.
then, i'd suspect you need a threaded collar....????

screw one end onto the ram, and the shell holder in the other.>???

i'll look for more pics, gimme some time.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
That looks like my press, but the ram is different. It does not have that slot machined in it for the tool to eject spent primers.

CHEVYINLINE6.
might be a later model..maybe the primers had to be popped out by a hand tool back then..???

or

maybe that ram you have, is not the original to the press..????

i dunno..i never heard of Herters until maybe about 3-5 months ago, n another site for reloading, that a guy had from his granddaddy..??

you might have to try seeking out Herters press collectors..???

this from another gun site

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
I will just keep checking eBay for the part I need and if I don't find one, I will buy one of those inexpensive LEE presses for decapping cases. Thank you OLE X ME for your time and effort.

CHEVYINLINE6.
good luck bro...

i only been reloading for over a year myself.

personally for the money....

Get Lyman single stage press, extra heavy duty....

i got this one, cheaper....i think from midsouthshooters..???

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
might be a later model..maybe the primers had to be popped out by a hand tool back then..???

or

maybe that ram you have, is not the original to the press..????

i dunno..i never heard of Herters until maybe about 3-5 months ago, n another site for reloading, that a guy had from his granddaddy..??

you might have to try seeking out Herters press collectors..???

this from another gun site
Yeah, I was thinking it was a older model. Who knows, if I run accross somebody local with a lathe to machine mine.

CHEVYINLINE6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
good luck bro...

i only been reloading for over a year myself.

personally for the money....

Get Lyman single stage press, extra heavy duty....

i got this one, cheaper....i think from midsouthshooters..???

I have a brand new RCBS Rock Chucker kit with everything that I must have bought 15+ years ago. I have everything I need to reload, just have not done it because ammo prices use to be so cheap and it was cheaper to buy at the time and I was working all the time. I am retired now and have more time. The only thing I wish I had like many others is more pecussion caps.

CHEVYINLINE6.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
I have a brand new RCBS Rock Chucker kit with everything that I must have bought 15+ years ago. I have everything I need to reload, just have not done it because ammo prices use to be so cheap and it was cheaper to buy at the time and I was working all the time. I am retired now and have more time. The only thing I wish I had like many others is more pecussion caps.

CHEVYINLINE6.
same here (retired) and i have a DIllon 550c, and a Lee Pro-4000.....i also have a Lee single stage press, for swaging only, and that Lyman i linked you to, for my Forster set up, bullet pulling only

the Lee is a light weight press, i can actually "see" it slightly "bending" when i swag some brass..

that Lyman is solid cast iron, weighs about 15 pounds (+/-) and it is stout....

i only reload when my stock of reloaded ammo is down by at least 1,000 rounds.......so...with my shooting...???

that can be a few months before i reload again.

NikA

Buckeye
Adapters in post #2 appear to be both internally and externally threaded; could work, no personal experience. A bit of research indicates that the male threads on the press ram are probably 7/8"-14, which would be easy to check by comparing to standard reloading dies. If that's the case, there are a number of ways to make a adapter to the adapter.

I have one of the Herters O presses with the set screw shell holder. My experience is that for as strong as it is, it does not provide all that much leverage and is a bit difficult to use.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Adapters in post #2 appear to be both internally and externally threaded; could work, no personal experience. A bit of research indicates that the male threads on the press ram are probably 7/8"-14, which would be easy to check by comparing to standard reloading dies. If that's the case, there are a number of ways to make a adapter to the adapter.

I have one of the Herters O presses with the set screw shell holder. My experience is that for as strong as it is, it does not provide all that much leverage and is a bit difficult to use.
good catch..!!

all i was seeing was the external threads.......they very well may work

Latest posts