Redding T-7 Reloading press questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Yikes! How did this go south?

1st off, thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out. Y'all are the greatest! :D

loaded round said:
The priming system that comes with the T-7 press is a PIA to use, the same as any other turret or single station press. If you're going to load a lot of ammo, I'd suggest you get Redding's auto primer kit for your T-7 press. Price from Brownell's or Midway USA is around 55.00 bucks and well worth the money. I have one on my T-7 and love it.
Okay, I think you cleared up the internet complaints I was reading. I thought they were talking about the auto primer kit; apparently not. I'll just get one and see how I like it.

I've used the primer system that came with my Rockchucker kit in '77. I like it, a lot! Well, except when a tube and tray of primers blew up in my face. That was one scary situation to say the least! I feed the tube by hand and, I guess I'm the exception, get a great feel for proper seating. I also have a LEE single primer unit that I get a great feel for as well. About 18 months ago I bought one of the RCBS tray primer systems and hate it, nothing but junk. It's a Rube Goldberg contraption at best. It's impossible to seat the primers .001" below flush with the handle squeezed all the way in. I don't doubt the older ones might be better, or maybe I just got a bad one.

DB, I remember when RCBS came out with those strips. If you didn't bring them up, I would never have thought about them. I'll see how the "auto" primer system works 1st.

Again, that's for the responses and I'm open to more suggestions. I won't be buying for about a month. I'm just trying to speed up my reloading a bit, that's all. I enjoy it regardless, once I get started.

I'll leave the ruckus above as is. Sometimes it's best to see our members as they really are and we can make our own decisions. It's really not a big deal and I appreciate all feedback on the topic. I don't ask for much, but when someone takes valuable time out of their busy day to help me out, I take notice. Thanks!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
DixieBoy said:
I suppose the only way to get the straight scoop is to contact RCBS directly. Sure hope this talk is just rumors. - DixieBoy

Hi,

DB, there was a dust up a few years ago over reports that RCBS was having their press castings done in China, then they were shipped here for machining and assembly. I believe it was about the time the Rock Chucker Supreme came out.

There was talk on several forums I used to read that people HAD contacted RCBS and got the "neither confirm nor deny" treatment. Some time later a poster said when he called, HE was told the castings were being done in the US. Since today's RCBS is not the company Fred Huntington started decades ago, but a corporate entity (part of ATK's family), with whatever that entails, I'd expect they'd play this kinda thing pretty close to the vest!

I did notice on my last visit to their site a dearth of the little flags or "Made in USA" notes so many mfrs are proudly displaying these days... like you, I hope that doesn't mean anything! All my "green" stuff's 'Merkan made, too. :)

Back to Redding T-7s now.

Rick C

6gun

Hunter
I hear tell Lee moved all it's casting for presses and die making operations to Mexico, and their plastic parts production for powder measures and such to China to cut costs.

6gun

Hunter
The T7 is a real good little press but basically the same thing as the new Lyman turret, and Lyman is all American made also.

Latest posts