Lee Classic Turret Press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
I use it a decent amount for handgun ammo. I think it's a great press. I've even removed the auto thingamajiggy and use it as a turret press for batch loading. For the money Lee is great. I started on a Rockchucker in 1996 and this Lee is as far as I need to go personally. You cannot go wrong.

gunman42782

Hunter
I love mine. I have found if you use the auto index and don't want to constantly be changing the little plastic square disk you need to lightly lube the moving parts that touch said plastic square disk. If you lube it pretty often the disk will last for thousands of reloads.

I got my first Lee turret press years ago, on the recommendation of an engineer I knew - he shot 500 rounds of .38 Special every week, practising for some form of competitive shooting (Bullseye?). I figured if he used a Lee turret press to reload 500 rounds per week and liked it enough to recommend, that was good enough for me!

I bought my second one last year, used on GunBroker; $40 plus shipping for the press, three 3-hole turrets, and a 4-hole conversion kit. I've currently got one set up with auto-indexing, and one without; I prefer to use a hand tool for priming, and generally do resizing/decapping on a single stage press, so that leaves the three stations in each turret for expanding, seating, and crimping (which I prefer to do separately, but obviously YMMV).

All of the newer presses have 4-hole turrets (just as an FYI & FWIW), but I'm happy with the older 3-hole versions, and Lee still makes & sells both types of turrets. Are there better presses out there? Absolutely, but the Lee turret press has always worked fine for me.

As always IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

deac45

Single-Sixer
I have been using one for about five years now with great results. I too, disabled the auto indexing and prime by hand off the press. I have a turret for each caliber I load. If you do use the auto indexing, do as gunman42782 said and keep it lubed. A light touch works smoother than trying to power through the stroke.

I used a LEE 4 station turret press to build my version of a progressive to load prepped .223 brass. By 'prepped' I mean sized, trimmed, and primed brass. I had a lot of this 'prepped' brass and was looking for an easier way to load it. This modified press had a manual charging station, powder check station, seating station, and crimping station. It worked pretty well until I ended up wearing the press frame where the turret rotates out. Back then those LEE turrets were cheap so I just replaced the frame and loaded another ??K cases.
I loaded some handgun ammo with one of the LEE turrets but the primer feed on it was unbearable. That's when I turned to Dillon for handgun ammo.

s4s4u

Hunter
I load all my pistol ammo on the Lee turret. One of the perks is all you need to do when you change over to another cal is swap the turret. The dies will be set up and ready to rock. I don't use the auto advance as that system is hokey. I use it as a single stage, swapping operations with a twist of the turret.

I use mine for loading Black Powder in 44-40 since it allows me to double drop the charge to fill the case which my Dillon 650 does not do. Since I don't shoot much 44-40 it works fine. I won it at a SASS match so the price was right. :)
I use all of the features including priming. My SIL used it to load 9mm with no problems and it was his first time to reload.

Yea I did wear out the indexer thingie. Good to know about the lube Thanks.

Last edited:

Clark

Bearcat
I might be a little late to the party but…

Yes, I use the 4-hole cast version and really like it. I've never had a problem with the auto index feature. In fact, for pistol reloading you can buy a kit that reverses the rotation, adds a flipper to it and automatically kicks the finished shell off the press. I highly recommend it.

Latest posts