Gun Weight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimP

Bearcat
OK, this is probably a dumb question but here goes. I really like my 7 1/2" barrel revolvers but I am thinking for carrying around my Farm for hours at a time pehaps I should get something with a shorter barrel to bring the weight down and maybe the bulk as well. How heavy a revolver do you find comfortable carrying on hip for long periods of time? I know this is an individual thing but I'd still be interested in anyone's thoughts.

JimP

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
if you want to carry the heavier revolver, why not get a weight distributing shoulder rig?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I typically find the length more of an issue than the weight. You ca put the 7.5 inch in a cross draw and the barrel stays out of the way pretty well but it sets the gun a little to much to the front of my hip for me. Meaning as I go about work it seems anything that I pick up or lean into can bang against the grip. A short barrel carried at about the 3 to 4 o-clock position seems to say out of the way, and if the barrel is short enough, for me 4 5/8s, I can still set in a seat with out it jabbing me too bad. My 3.75 barreled birdshead is even more compact. As far as how heavy the gun feels, that can be changed on heavy your belt is. A nice solid belt will make the gun feel lighter.

pisgah

Buckeye
If the holster and belt are good, weight matters little to me. Length gets to be a problem before weight does, for me. The holster needs to be well-fitted to the gun and well-fitted to the belt, and the belt needs to be STIFF.

wwb

Hunter
For a compromise between shootability and carryability, a 4 inch barrel is hard to beat.

If you're shooting a .357, see if you can score a 4" Security Six - it's a bit lighter than a GP-100. A Colt Trooper is another one to consider, though it's almost as heavy as a GP-100. The Colt Lawman, built on the same frame as the Trooper, has a little bit lighter barrel and no ejector rod shroud.

If you recently won the lottery, a Smith M19 is another good choice.

427mach1

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
If the holster and belt are good, weight matters little to me. Length gets to be a problem before weight does, for me. The holster needs to be well-fitted to the gun and well-fitted to the belt, and the belt needs to be STIFF.

Same here. I carry my 5-1/2" Redhawk in the woods and the length is more bothersome than the weight. Even so, after a few miles you become accustomed to it.

For CCW, I've come to prefer a light gun. Under 30 ounces for sure. Under 20 is even better.

For open belt carry, as others have said, it comes down to the right equipment. If I'm going to carry my .480 Alaskan around, I use a chest carry. Personally I've never liked carrying a long barreled revolver strong side, OWB. It pulls you down on one side, it hits into everything.

I prefer 4 5/8ths to 5.5". One custom .41 OM that is 5.1" is about perfect.

Gregg

zombienerd

Bearcat
I open carry regularly in NH, and it is generally with my 5.5" Super Blackhawk. Strong hand side in the official Ruger holster. I didn't find the length burdensome, but I did find the weight a bit hefty the first few weeks. I have since gotten used to it.

The only downside is getting in to/out of my car, it never seems to sit right initially and I have to adjust it. The hammer tore a hole in the seat of my last truck as well. I'm very careful with my latest ride to prevent that from happening again.

tguil

Single-Sixer
A 2 3/4 Speed Six is my choice in centerfires. If I didn't have this gun, I'd probably go for an SP101. Speed Six is about 30 ounces. SP101 is a little less. However, my most carried gun is a 5 1/2 inch bull barreled Mark II. Over 40 ounces. I use both a shoulder rig and a hip holster without any discomfort.

pisgah

Buckeye
Although shoulder rigs are perfect for some people, they aren't for everyone. I am extremely barrel-chested (48" chest, 36" waist), and drawing from a shoulder rig just doesn't work comfortably -- it's clumsy, although I will say the weight is comfortably supported. For me, up to 5.5" is fine in a strongside holster, while I prefer a crossdraw for the 7.5-inchers.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
For carry on a run of the mill trouser belt,I like a gun in the mid 20 oz range like a S+W M60 or M63.I have a Bianchi trouser type gun belt and that vastly improves things.I still don't want to carry over 3 lbs on the belt and the closer I can get to 2 lbs,the better.I set up a Sheriff's Vaquero for belt carry and it is 35 oz unloaded,comfortable on the Bianchi belt.A S+W Mountain Gun is 40 oz,before loading and works pretty well also.

Most of my woods carry guns are 3"-4".When I'm hiking in the summer and want to travel light,it is a 3" M60 on the belt.If I'm thinking about bears,it might be the .45 Colt Sheriff's,3" M29 or 4" Mountain gun.If I'm hiking and seriously hunting,it would be a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt and heavy loads,carried in a shoulder holster.It's an extremely accurate gun.

These days I have gravitated to mostly shoulder holsters as they don't drag on the truck seat when I'm in and out a lot.They also don't drag in the dirt when I sit on a steep,rocky hillside.Also,falling on your butt on a steep hill,in snow or dirt can plug a muzzle with a belt carried open end holster.That happened to me a couple years ago on a lion hunt.

I think my favorite is a full coverage flap holster as a shoulder rig.
HandgunRigs009.jpg

HandgunRigs012.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If you want light weight and low bulk in a .357 that's adequately comfortable to shoot, consider one of the new 4.2" SP-101s. Add Hogue grips and it should more than meet your needs.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I carried a 66oz 3rd Model Dragoon all hunting season and didn't find it to be too much. Just takes a wee bit of getting used to. I agree that length gets in the way more than weight gets noticed. Although I'm quite accustomed to packing 7½" - 8" sixguns.