41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Nice shooting and what nice looking SA Ruger revolvers! You say it is a Bisley, but I didn't think that Bisleys had adjustable sights! I have 2 .357 MAG Rugers, an SA Blackhawk and a DA GP100, and a .45 Ruger Convertible SA revolver also. I never thought about getting the caliber in between these two, the .41 MAG. I am looking to get a DA Ruger .45, which may be a 454, depending on what I come across.

I normally shoot at 25 yards (the fixed length of the outdoor range). Sometimes I do 50 yards, and it is hard to see more than just the whole target - 12"x12". I use a spotter to see how I did. I have white pearl grips on both of my Blackhawks.
Any Bisley Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk will have adjustable sights. Just not the Vaqueros.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
But the flattop is a mid frame!
No, the 41 and 44 magnum Flat tops are on the large frame. All others are on the mid frame.

The only way to get a mid frame 41 magnum Flat Top is to have it custom made.

L8Arwm9.jpg

But the flattop is a mid frame!
If you are talking about the flattop in my picture, sorry for the confusion, that is a 357. I said that, but wasn't very clear. I said the two 357's both came with white grips, and I had to buy them for the 41 Magnum Bisley. So the Flattop and the Stainless revolver are both 357's.

The 357 in my picture is indeed a mid frame gun. It's one of those 357/9mm convertibles with a steel grip frame. Very nice gun, accurate and easy to handle. With the additional weight of the steel frame, it makes 9mm feel like 22's.

Here's another picture of it the mid frame flattop 357.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post.

And @Wyandot Jim I'm sorry to say, this picture also has the gun, not pointed down range. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually pointed at my truck. My range is a member's only place, and like today for example, there was someone on the rifle range, and I was at a pistol bay distinctly separated from the rifle range. Nobody else was around at all.

I usually take a break and stop to get some pictures when shooting. The gun wasn't loaded. Next time I'm there I'll get some pictures of the range as a whole. It's pretty nice.

RugerRevolverVintageSmaller.jpg

And @Wyandot Jim I'm sorry to say, this picture also has the gun, not pointed down range. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually pointed at my truck. My range is a member's only place, and like today for example, there was someone on the rifle range, and I was at a pistol bay distinctly separated from the rifle range. Nobody else was around at all.

Get in safe habits and you do not have to be concerned if someone is around or not ;) ;) My habit at ranges is empty and loading gate open muzzle pointed down range when not in use. Makes other shooters happy.

So what's the story on the 357??? It looks like a high polish and the lose cylinder has a bevel on it.

contender

Ruger Guru
"But the flattop is a mid frame!"

Not all of them.

In the beginning,, the first OM .357's & .44's were Flattops, and on a medium frame. The Super Blackhawk came out with a larger frame,, and by 1963,, Ruger transitioned to the "protected ears" and larger frame. Gone were the original FT's.
Then, the New Model Flattops were introduced on the mid-sized frame,, in .357. BUT,,, due to the level of loads,, the .41 magnum, and the .44 Magnum Flattops were built on the large frame.

As our dear departed FlatGate would say; "Get the books!" (Meaning, study the history!)

Johnnu2

Hunter
"But the flattop is a mid frame!"

Not all of them.

In the beginning,, the first OM .357's & .44's were Flattops, and on a medium frame. The Super Blackhawk came out with a larger frame,, and by 1963,, Ruger transitioned to the "protected ears" and larger frame. Gone were the original FT's.
Then, the New Model Flattops were introduced on the mid-sized frame,, in .357. BUT,,, due to the level of loads,, the .41 magnum, and the .44 Magnum Flattops were built on the large frame.

As our dear departed FlatGate would say; "Get the books!" (Meaning, study the history!)
I don't like books Ty......... I HAVE YOU..!!!
Besides, I just can't read very well...... takes me a very long time to read a couple of pages, and then I miss most of it.. :-(. That's why I turn to the forum: FAST, ACCURATE and, most of all, CONCISE and to the point. God Bless you guys/gals.
J.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
But,, but,, Johnnu2,,, you read here,,,,! :D

FlatGate used to to have a few things he repeated a lot to folks. RTFM (Read The Fun Manual, and yes,, I've cleaned up the real wording.) And "Buy the Books!"

As far as I can find,, I have all the published books on Rugers. And while some of the older ones have mistakes,, they are all still excellent resources on our beloved Rugers. Plus,, I've got a collection of all the factory published catalogs to reference things.
Education is the key,, and as it's well known,, "knowledge is power!"

I do not mind sharing what I know,, but I too make mistakes,, ESPECIALLY if I try & use my faded memory when answering a question that's seldom asked. Throw in all the stuff in the recent decade with all the NM's & all, I can easily make mistakes.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Lot of great looking .41's!
My dad got me started in that caliber and it is still one of my favorites. Have several .41 Redhawk's, OM and NM .41 Blackhawks and a Marlin Limited 1894 Cowboy in the .41 caliber. Only 1000 made in that series. Bought it when they first came out for $500, a friend with a FFL ordered for me.
Marlin 1984 Cowboy .41.jpg

DSC00735.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shooting and what nice looking SA Ruger revolvers! You say it is a Bisley, but I didn't think that Bisleys had adjustable sights! I have 2 .357 MAG Rugers, an SA Blackhawk and a DA GP100, and a .45 Ruger Convertible SA revolver also. I never thought about getting the caliber in between these two, the .41 MAG. I am looking to get a DA Ruger .45, which may be a 454, depending on what I come across.

I normally shoot at 25 yards (the fixed length of the outdoor range). Sometimes I do 50 yards, and it is hard to see more than just the whole target - 12"x12". I use a spotter to see how I did. I have white pearl grips on both of my Blackhawks.
I have 8 Bisleys that have adjustable sights.

Onty

Single-Sixer
You say it is a Bisley, but I didn't think that Bisleys had adjustable sights!
If revolver is Bisley Vaquero, you are right, non-adjustable sights:

vaquero-right.jpg

Also, Ruger made some small frame 22 Bisley with fixed sights, but from what I found, those are quite few:

pix647305946-4792ef5f.jpeg

All other "standard" Bisley revolvers, as others pointed, with adjustable sights only.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Correct! However, I am assuming that when we are talking about "BISLEY" revolver here, those are revolvers as they were produced by Ruger.

As a matter of fact, I have revolver that never existed as a factory made; Bisley, 44 Magnum, stainless, 5.5", with fluted cylinder, created using standard SBH and installing Bisley parts from Bisley Vaquero.

Last edited:

Latest posts