Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
As I said in another thread... my favorite .327 is the four inch SP 101. I always wanted a six inch GP 100 but they got impossible to find before I was ready to buy one.
The SP 101 in 4 in sounds good. I have an original SP 101 in 38 in 3 inch. I got it when they first came out. It's a great gun. When my daughter went shooting with me, that was her favorite gun to shoot. She is married and gone now. Those were special days. She and my son, who is also married and living in Georgia now. We would like to go shooting. Too bad they grow up

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Better QA should be done before they leave the factory; but if reaching a certain price point / production volume necessitates not... I sure wish there was a way to better assure receiving a top notch product.

Star43

Blackhawk
You know I hear what you say and agree the quality should be good, when it leaves the Ruger factory. Maybe I am getting old but to me it ain't right that we should have to worry about quality coming from "Ruger". Think about it for a minute. Do you think this stuff happened when Mr. Ruger himself was there ?? I mean stuff does happen as we are all human. But back in the day when Mr. Ruger was there, quality and the Ruger name itself on that product meant something. To him and the people working there. Don't get me wrong, Ruger today is still number one to me in my mind, in the marketplace today, but I don't know, people don't seem to care much about stuff and what they do compared to back in the day. Maybe I'm all wet here, so I will stop now.

Star43

Blackhawk
Better QA should be done before they leave the factory; but if reaching a certain price point / production volume necessitates not... I sure wish there was a way to better assure receiving a top notch product.
You know, I went back and read your post again, and thought about it a while. At first , my initial reaction is "Heck No, I don't want to pay any company an extra fee for them to send me a good and checked out product".....To me they should check out their products Anyway, just so the customer is satisfied. Well that's how it used to be, and how it should be in my opinion......But sadly it could get to the point that in the future, this could happen. One pays for a product and then is willing to pay "extra" to assure that the product is good.....Sounds weird to me, but in this day and age.....it very well could happen. I don't agree or want that scenario, but in the not so distant future, who knows....it could happen.

Bruce51

Bearcat
This thread has had a long run. I hoped my experience would show that sometimes things are not so good.
As far as sending it back to Ruger NOPE! They felt that it was ok and sent it back.
I'm not a quitter and knew I would continue to try to make it work.
I still have some hope that there is a solution.
Wolf makes reduced power hammer springs which I will test. Right now the SS is back to how it left the factory. So I will test the three reduced power springs and see if I can get reliable ignition without pierced primers. I haven't ordered the springs yet but will soon.
Never give up. The .327 is just to much fun.:)

Bruce 51

Star43

Blackhawk
That would sure make it easier.....
You know, I have kidded Hondo that I wished he was my neighbor......now I wish you were a neighbor too and we could walk over to Hondo to look at it. He could figure it out. I am not putting him on the spot as I have read that he doesn't do too much any more, just for his immediate friends.......why do you think I wanted to be his neighbor !!! Just kidding, but he probably could figure it out.....oh, if only life was simpler?? 👍

I have a first year Single-Seven and has been one of my favorite shooters. The only gripe I have is the alignment issue making it a pain to load as mentioned above. I've thought about trying a free spin pawl from Power Custom. My question is, would a Wrangler pawl work in the Single-Seven or is there something else that prevents the free spin other than the pawl?

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I have a first year Single-Seven and has been one of my favorite shooters. The only gripe I have is the alignment issue making it a pain to load as mentioned above. I've thought about trying a free spin pawl from Power Custom. My question is, would a Wrangler pawl work in the Single-Seven or is there something else that prevents the free spin other than the pawl?
You could just do your own free-spin pawl. I don't have the page marked anymore, but maybe someone else does. It just takes some careful filing on the pawl to get it to work. I have done both, Power Custom and filed my own. Two completely different ways of achieving the same free-spin. And both work great. This being for a Blackhawk... not a Single-Six (or 7). But it should work the same way.

Bruce51

Bearcat
I just removed metal until a case would slide in easily. I started with a round file and then switched to a sandpaper wrapped wood dowel.
It took about thirty minutes to clear and polish.
Having to index perfectly was annoying and other shooters would have the same problem when loading or unloading cases.
Bruce 51

Star43

Blackhawk
I just removed metal until a case would slide in easily. I started with a round file and then switched to a sandpaper wrapped wood dowel.
It took about thirty minutes to clear and polish.
Having to index perfectly was annoying and other shooters would have the same problem when loading or unloading cases.
Bruce 51
Wow, it sure seems like a lot of work ? Did you have to remove a lot of metal, or would you say it was more of a polish type job ? And to think you bought this gun new from Ruger, and you have to do this for a caliber the gun was "designed for"

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Star: think about it as the les Baer approach. You want an 1.5" guarantee instead of 3", you pay a little extra. You then get a gun guaranteed to shoot at least one load into 1.5 even if off the same line. I'd pay extra for that.

Bruce51

Bearcat
Wow, it sure seems like a lot of work ? Did you have to remove a lot of metal, or would you say it was more of a polish type job ? And to think you bought this gun new from Ruger, and you have to do this for a caliber the gun was "designed for"
Definitely had to remove metal and blend into the curved area. Once finished it was so much easier to load and unload. I did this before I knew about the free spin pawl. No regrets. It needed to be done.

Star43

Blackhawk
Star: think about it as the les Baer approach. You want an 1.5" guarantee instead of 3", you pay a little extra. You then get a gun guaranteed to shoot at least one load into 1.5 even if off the same line. I'd pay extra for that.
Well, I guess when you look at it that way, you are paying a little extra, but it is for an upgrade.....that does takes the sting out a bit. In other words you are getting what you pay for........👍

Star43

Blackhawk
Definitely had to remove metal and blend into the curved area. Once finished it was so much easier to load and unload. I did this before I knew about the free spin pawl. No regrets. It needed to be done.
The main thing is you have no regrets, and bottom line is if it works, it works !! 🙂👍

Ethang

Blackhawk
My S7 is one of my most favorite handguns. While it does see much more 32mag than 327, it is stupid fun with 327's. If there is no bears in your area it is the perfect trail pistol and goes with me on walks.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Most of the newer 32s and 327s will load much easier with just a free spin pawl.

1. The easiest free spin pawl is modifying your original pawl: grind off the corner of the top right hand side of the pawl's top tooth until it forms a point on the left side. That's it!

2. The Wrangler or any new model flattop Blackhawk and New Vaquero pawl will work but you have to cut a divot in the top surface of the trigger guard part of the grip frame which is much more difficult to get right.

3. Power Custom pawl comes with good instructions and is easy to fit to the gun but you'll have $40 wrapped up in it. Not as easy as #1 above.

If you want to enlarge the loading gate chute, a sanding drum (of the diameter you want the chute to be) in a Dremel tool is the fastest and easiest way followed with a polishing wheel of the same diameter. Practice on scrap metal first if you haven't used a Dremel much.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Mine shoot just fine…
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg

Most of the newer 32s and 327s will load much easier with just a free spin pawl.

1. The easiest free spin pawl is modifying your original pawl: grind off the corner of the top right hand side of the pawl's top tooth until it forms a point on the left side. That's it!

2. The Wrangler or any new model flattop Blackhawk and New Vaquero pawl will work but you have to cut a divot in the top surface of the trigger guard part of the grip frame which is much more difficult to get right.

3. Power Custom pawl comes with good instructions and is easy to fit to the gun but you'll have $40 wrapped up in it. Not as easy as #1 above.

If you want to enlarge the loading gate chute, a sanding drum (of the diameter you want the chute to be) in a Dremel tool is the fastest and easiest way followed with a polishing wheel of the same diameter. Practice on scrap metal first if you haven't used a Dremel much.
Exactly what I was looking for Hondo. Thanks a lot.

Latest posts